When you broke your stall with fasting, what happened next?

(Jennifer ) #1

Hello!

Those of you who credit fasting with breaking your stall, can you share how that happened?

After the stall was “broken” how did your weight loss resume? I am particularly interested in whether you would you continue losing weight even in between fasting, or only while fasting?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to reading your stories of trials and triumphs. :blush:

(Rob) #2

Recently, (50lbs down with keto, 90 overall, 40 to go) I have been in a stall for a couple of months. There could be several things which I haven’t yet tried but the only way I’ve lost for the last 3.5 months has been EF - 3-5 days, once a month where I hit new lows. I then put some back on, slowly get back to the new low by the time the next fast comes around. Not a great process vs. the pretty easy progress before. I am in the current Zorn fast and have lost 7lbs in 2.5 days and a few under my previous low. Hoping for a few more down tomorrow and to Monday morning and see if I have the same experience a third time?

There are other strategies I will try… I suspect my addiction to sugar-free jello may be a culprit :weary:

(Karen) #3

Here’s what has been my experience. I have been doing ADF so 42 hours fasting, lunch and dinner, 42 hours fasting, lunch, dinner ,42 hours fasting. My weight jogs down 2 pounds, then after lunch and dinner the next morning, it’s up a pound.

So morning weigh in example, slow but consistent
Monday-164
Tuesday-162
Wednesday-163
Thursday-161
Friday - 162
Additionally I think my loss would not continue as steadily without the follow- on of a fast.

Today was a keto epic fail, but will fast tomorrow.

K

(Ron) #4

I do a 5/2 fast every other week and 2 42hr fasts on alternate weeks. on the 72hr fast I consistantly drop 3 or 4lbs and the next eating day will put 1lb back on. On the 40 hr fasts I usually lose1lb and it stays off. Occasionally I will stay the same without a loss but no gain either. This usually gives me a monthly drop around 8/10lbs a month. It seems to be working so far but I still have 50lbs of storage to draw from. Someone without the reserves might not see as much in the scales.

(Jennifer ) #5

Hello, we meet again. Do you fast other times outside of 3-5 days once a month?

(Jennifer ) #6

Thanks for the response! How long has this progress been consistently happening?

(Jennifer ) #7

Thanks for your response! How long has this progress been going at this rate?

(Ron) #8

2 months. Started right after I became fat adapted. Only been keto for 3.5 months. Haven’t had a stall yet but won’t panic if I do, just concentrate on keeping things changing.
Am starting a 72hr fast tonight after dinner so yesterday splurged on calorie intake (3400cal) in an attempt to increase metabolism and was pleasantly surprised when the scale was down 1lb this morning.

(Karen) #9

When I am able to consistently do this I get consistent results. Life gets in the way. Chinese potluck caught me at a seriously weak moment last night. Ihad 10 people I was hosting at my house yesterday eve while having consulted with hospice for dad all afternoon. :worried:

K

(Rob) #10

I IF - 18:6/2MAD most of the time but I only EF at the Zornfast.

I am almost 4 days in to this ZF and this has been a good one… 9lbs down, 5+ below my prior lowest weight and no doubt more to come tomorrow. Don’t know how big the rebound will be but this seems like a whoosh and fat that I burned in the ‘stall’ but probably replaced with water is now counting on the scale as the water has been released.

Not sure I understand. You fast for 5 days or 3?

(Liz ) #12

I’m 48, 5’8", 165ish pounds. I lost slow & steady from March 2017 to about Nov 2017. I started learning to EF in July of 2017, I started gently with 24 hours & built up, about once a month, to about 70 hours. In January of this year I fasted twice. I have been fasting weekly since the start of February, from 40+ to 90+ hours each time, it varies. This is what my progress looks like, the deep dips are the last fasted day before a refeed:

It’s been a very slow slog but I will say I went down several sizes while the scale showed very little progress. I do not exercise so some kind of keto recomposition was going on.

I’ve tried lowering protein, taking a break from dairy, lowering calories, raising calories, adding glycine, adding carnitine. One thing I haven’t tried is black coffee fasting, I still use 2 tbs coconut oil in my morning coffee.

But my assumption, with 20-25 lbs left to lose, is my basal insulin is still too high to allow easy everyday access to body fat. The only way I know to lower insulin over time is EF so I’m keeping at it. If nothing else I’m not gaining and if I take a months’ long view, the scale is going in the right direction albeit GLACIALLY.

Thanks for posting this topic, it’s great to read everyone’s experiences!

Are you sure your body wants to weigh less? When I was 175 22 years ago I looked pretty ok. I was the equivalent of todays 8/10 (sizes have changed). I am medium boned but a little more muscular than average and was biking many miles a week. I obviously weigh more now but I am shorter, 5’6 and a little older

My ideal weight in my 20s was between 135 - 145 but I would be shocked if I ever see that again

(Liz ) #14

Yes, I am sure. I have an exceptionally slender frame, I am not athletic or muscular. I can see fat on all parts of my body & I am not suffering from a dysmorphic disorder. I’m not at all disappointed in my progress, I look great but I am not finished.

(Brian) #15

Liz, thank you for sharing the chart! It is quite interesting. I particularly appreciate seeing the series of lower highs and lower lows.

In another life, years ago, I used to work for a commodities brokerage and looked at price charts all the time. Brought back some memories. :slight_smile: Prices don’t move up or down in a straight line and neither do the pounds on a scale.

No one is likely to do my fasting regime, so I won’t comment on stalls. But I will chime in to say that fasting is effective at lowering bodyweight setpoint. My setpoint (not my pounds lost, which was greater) decreased 50 lbs in 6 months.

(Ron) #17

I go 5 days of normal keto eating then fast for 2 days. Usually start Sunday evening after dinner and go til Wednesday dinner.
Alternate weeks is Monday after dinner to Wednesday dinner and Thursday after dinner to Saturday dinner.

(Karen) #18

How’s the dairy free thing going?

K

(Liz ) #19

So far all I really miss is butter! I’ll try adding it back in May & see if it bothers me. My weight hasn’t been affected so I’m focusing more on skin issues & GERD now.

(Raj Seth) #20

I thought that butter did not have any “dairy” effects?