When will I get fat adapted? (2 Weeks in)

(Chris) #1

When can I expect to be fat adapted and stop feeling hungry all the time? I have been doing this for two weeks and I really thought it would kick in and I wouldnt be feeling this hunger. Im constantly having to eat cheese because I just never feel full.

(Frank) #2

Keep at it. God I hope you’re eating more than just cheese. :wink:. It might take some time. Everyone’s physiology is different. KCKO.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

Fat adaptation can take 6 to 8 weeks for some people. Just keep the carbs under 20 grams and eat enough to feel full. Don’t worry, it will happen.

(Chris) #4

I dont even know if its under 20 grams…counting carbs seems like an impossible task. Everything I eat has very low carbs, I know that much

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

If you eat a lot of things with low carb counts, you can get to a significant carb count on the day. Better to count at the start, log your food, and know before you go the “lazy keto” route, especially if you are T2DM or otherwise metabolically disordered.

I’m only on my 2nd week and I LOVE food. I lost my appetite and cravings in the first week.

(Alex) #7

are you following your macros? today is day 46 on the diet for me and i still don’t believe i’m fully fat-adapted. and i’m an active 25 year old male who jogs daily and does light weight lifting 4 days a week. it takes time, for sure. what i will say is that since i’ve started keto, i’ve tracked every single thing i’ve eaten and have kept my food intake to 3 full meals a day, every day, and i am never hungry in between. i realize that not everyone has the time in their lives to do this, but if you can, it helps. my best advice would be, at least while you’re still in the early stages like myself, to make sure you’re getting enough fat throughout the day, as well as enough protein, to ensure that you’re getting enough sustinence to keep you full and energized. and obviously, keep your carbs to under 20g a day (i do under 20g NET carbs daily, personally, and it has been working for me). and make sure you’re eating REAL FOODS like grass-fed meats, low carb green stuff (avocados, romaine, baby spinach, celery, i usually mix all of those things up with olive oil and red wine vinegar to make a delicious salad), healthy fats, macadamia nuts or almonds, etc. try to avoid stuff like pre-packaged, processed salamis and pepperonis, and certain cream-based dressings, as stuff like that tends to have nasty ingredients which are not desireable for keto. intermittent fasting is also supposedly another good way to lose weight / become fat-adapted quicker, from what i’ve heard. that’s what i do!! oh, and definitely incorporate mct oil and/or coconut oil into your diet, as these are shown to be 2 of the most effective oils for promoting weight loss. i’m no keto expert by any means, but all of that advice should help you to become fat-adapted as quickly as possible. just stick with it, try your best to make sure you’re eating the right foods in the right amounts, and give it time! you’ll get there eventually, but it most likely will take a lot longer than 2 weeks. hope this helps, and best of luck!

(Alex) #8

oh, and dairy and nuts are both things that can potentially slow down weight loss for SOME people. i eat both pretty frequently and have had no problems, but keep an eye out when you eat either and see how you feel afterwards/the next day.

(Blessed with butter ) #9

I just became fat adapted its been 60 days!
Nuts were the worst for me.

(Alex) #11

hi judy, can i ask how you know you’re fat-adapted? i’m on day 46 and don’t believe i’m there yet

(Blessed with butter ) #12

I am not hungry in the morning anymore, I use to NEED my keto coffee, now I don’t, I also never feel hungry till about noon or 2 ish it just depends on if I walk or not at lunch. I really am able to go all day with no food till dinner.

(Daisy) #13

It took me 4 weeks to become fat adapted. I’ve been there for about a week and a half. Suddenly I just wasn’t hungry anymore and could go until noon every day without eating. Today I was starving at 7 am, so I ate. I’ve actually been hungry several times today, so I ate when I was. I would assume that is normal and some days you just need more food. I am just going to trust my body.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #14

I’ve been fat adapted for 5 months now.
I’m close to my goal weight so fasting is getting a little bit harder and I am working out so mentally it can be a struggle.

Fat adaption is wonderful but it takes time and patience. For someone with little metabolic damage, that can be as little as 6 weeks. Others can take months. There are many internal processes at play preparing you for it.

Metabolic syndrome is characterized as three of the five following: High blood sugar, Excess stomach fat (abdominal obesity), Low high-density cholesterol (known as HDL), High blood pressure, High triglycerides (fats produced by the liver when dietary sugar and carbohydrates are too high)

If you are eating to satiety, you shouldn’t be hungry at all. Meet your protein goals, and consider fat a lever, eat when you are hungry.

(Running from stupidity) #15

Or longer, yeah. I might have just snuck into the eight weeks #becauseoldperson

So much this.

Logging is part of the learning process, IMHO. Also, so many things that look safe are in fact not in quantity. It’s also a very good planning tool.

I use Cronometer because it has an official database that is controlled by the company, rather than one that anyone can add anything - no matter how incorrect - to. If I’m doing tracking to ensure I’m doing it right, I want to be sure I’m doing it right.

(Mike W.) #16

Like HWC people will drink a 1/2 cup of the stuff in a single day but never remember to count the carbs.

(Running from stupidity) #17

Exactly. Tracking teaches you what hides where and you learn what is what.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #18

I’m six months and still hungry - so everyone is different. But lost 18 pounds and in ketosis. So I just go along with the program and eat three times a day, sometimes two if I get busy and distracted in the morning. But I still LOVE to eat. I have some undiagnosed GI issues, so I’m not saying it’s real hunger, it’s just stomach issues.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #19

I’m in month 10, have lost over 60, and get hungry occasionally. 2-3 meals a day.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #20

Good to know. I have started reading “The Ketogenic Bible” and they say that full adaptation may take up to a year. At that time every cell in your body is on board.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

It’s different for everyone, but people talk about a sense of energy and mental clarity. Athletes can tell, because they get their performance back, and often find themselves performing even better. Check out this article by Dr. Phinney, in which he discusses some of the biological processes involved: https://blog.virtahealth.com/keto-adapted/