When will I get fat adapted? (2 Weeks in)

(Empress of the Unexpected) #22

I have been in ketosis for six months , but not yet fat adapted. Maybe because of a couple of cheats! I have the energy, and mental clarity - but no lack of hunger.

(Alex) #23

thanks! i think i may have actually been fat-adapted for a bit now but just not known it, due to the fact that i was forcing myself to eat 3 meals a day and not listening to what my body was telling me. today, i actually listened to my body instead of eating right after my morning jog like normal, and realized that i wasnā€™t hungry, so i didnā€™t eat! and iā€™m still not hungry! right now, iā€™m currently at 25 hours without food and feeling great! weā€™ll see how tomorrow goes and if iā€™m feeling hungry or not :grin: and to your point about energy, i think i was being naive to the fact that my energy levels HAVE been slightly better than they were pre-keto for the past couple of weeks, at least, and i was expecting more and hoping i was gonna become superman or something haha. but i believe thatā€™s another indicator that i failed to see before, which would suggest that i probably am fat-adapted at this point

(Wendy) #24

Iā€™ve been lately reading Anyway You Can by Dr Annette Bosworth and she had a neat graph in there showing the different phases of keto adaption, on page 135 on the kindle version at least, she goes into what keto adapted is. I found it quite revealing. Iā€™d share it but havenā€™t figured a way how to.
Itā€™s a good read and recommend it to anyone who is looking for another good keto book.

(Dena Gann) #25

Be very careful with the fasting due to no appetite. It makes tour body got into starvation mode and you will stagnate. I am in that now. I became fat adapted 3 days in when I first started but have intermittent fasting for years due to my job so it wasnā€™t very hard for me. Ddepriving my body of carbs and doing a 2 day fast to kick myself into ketosis real quick worked wonders for the first few weeks. I dropped 20 pounds. Then, the breaks hit and 2 weeks later, still no less weight loss. Finally figured out what it is and am trying to make it stop. Easier said then done due to not being hungry AT ALL.

(John) #26

Yeah - I have hit that weird spot here after 5 weeks. I was really busy yesterday and only had time for a very light breakfast - 3 oz of blackberries with about 1/4 cup full fat yogurt. When I got home it was too late to eat, so I just skipped dinner. Here I am about 30 hours into an unplanned fast, but I am really not at all hungry and have plenty of energy - just came back in from my daily walk and feel fine.

I am about to go cook a nice breakfast with an nice spinach-mushroom-cheese-omelet and pork chop to get the eating thing going again. But it is really odd to not want food at all.

I heard from one of the POD casts that coconut oil is better then MCT because it has longer amino acid chains and is less apt to give diarrhea and is slower to digest.

(Running from stupidity) #29

Yep, exactly what I wrote in my post yesterday - Why eating more is your key to weighing less

(Dena Gann) #30

That omelette sounds really good. I may make some this coming weekend!! I never eat while working due to the nature of my job and having IBS. The Keto diet helps in that area but I am taking probiotics to help battle any constapation. I actually kicked myself out of keytoses 2 days ago by not paying attention to some homemade dressing on a salad. I am so mad at myself. Lesson learned. I will be doing a fast starting tomorrow. I have learned that Leptin plays a major part of weight loss. Not too sure how to handle that one.

(Dena Gann) #31

I am using the MCT 6 with the longer chain. It hasnā€™t given me any of the back door trots but sure does make my stomach hurt with just a tablespoon.

(John) #32

Omelets are the king of keto breakfasts. So many options of what you can add in for flavor or texture to get in some keto-friendly veggies and fiber along with proteins and fats. You can do everything in a single skillet. Does require that you have a little time to prep and cook in the morning, which is definitely a challenge during a busy work week.

For constipation, try Smooth Move tea. If you like herbal teas, itā€™s actually a pretty good tea. I found it in the laxative section of my local pharmacy (Walgreenā€™s). Seems to help get things going, IF there is anything that needs moving. Keto is a low-residue diet. Just because you are not going often doesnā€™t mean you are constipated.

So how do you know? What changed?

(Blessed with butter ) #34

I just am not hungry anymore. I can work in the yard for 6 hours and not want a meal halfway through. Lol you will know. I will have a bulletproof coffee about 10 and not need anything till dinner.

Iā€™m not hungry very often but still always want to eat. Still waiting for the increased energy and better mood I think keto is making me crankier

(Blessed with butter ) #36

Just hang in there. I had my first downer day yesterday. It hit hard. We did not get to where we are in a day so donā€™t expect to get there in a day. I just got my results back today. I am no longer pre diabetic. My ldl is good and my triglycerides went from 191 to 115. In 90 days. I know that my life is changing. Keep going my friend. Get your blood tested now and then in another 3 months. You will find out you are doing it right. Also if you are still hungry eat more fat Look up how to make fat bombs. Eat one after your meal or in between meals if you are hungry. Also put salt under your tongue. I do this you will find that you are not really hungry itā€™s just you are use to eating all the time. Do you drink coffee. If you do put butter and coconut oil in it and froth it up. Yummmmmmmmmy. Let me know if you need help. :smiley:

(Running from stupidity) #37

Darren might be asleep, soā€¦

YOU ROCK!

(Blessed with butter ) #38

he has been sleeping for a long time! Good morning Mic

An article to read:
https://blog.virtahealth.com/keto-adapted/

(Running from stupidity) #40

Everything is bigger in Texas :slight_smile:

(Leigh Ann) #41

What is a bulletproof coffee?

(Running from stupidity) #42

A trademark infringement lawsuit waiting to happen, I suspect :slight_smile:

Coffee with butter in it, I think. Or MCT oil, maybe, as an alternative.

We should call it ā€œKeto Koffee,ā€ I say.