When to use garlic, garlic salt or powdered garlic

(Bob M) #1

Went to make this recipe, which uses minced garlic as part of a rub:

This starts at high temperature (450F) and finishes low (170F).

Why use minced garlic? Why not use garlic salt or powdered garlic?

When do you use one and not the other?

For this recipe, I forgot to add the garlic anyway (wanted to get in the oven, and remembered 30+ minutes into the cooking that I had forgotten the garlic).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Fresh garlic (minced) has a stronger flavour than dried forms. It depends on what your goal is. Wouldn’t powdered garlic be more convenient for a rub? My ex and I used to poke holes in a roast with the tip of a knife and insert slices of garlic before roasting. The result was really yummy. Unfortunately, garlic is not very popular with most of the people I’m now cooking for.

When I make sauce, I often take the advice of an Italian friend of mine and add the garlic late in the process. She maintains that over-cooking garlic robs it of flavour.

My mother used to have a recipe that called for—I kid you not—40 bulbs of garlic. It was delicious.

And for those who can get there, the town of Saugerties, New York, has an annual garlic festival in the summer. No vampires within hundreds of miles!

(Bob M) #3

I’ve seen recipes for that and also 40 garlic clove chicken. (I think cloves, not bulbs, though I could be mistaken).

Garlic is weird. If you cook it well enough, it has a mild flavor.

This is a fantastic recipe that uses 8 smashed cloves of garlic. You would think you would get a hit of garlic, but I find it great:

https://www.mastercook.com/app/Recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=15941585

I think I will switch to garlic powder for the recipe. I finally ate the recipe, and I thought it was OK. I guess I’m getting used to just meat by itself, with only salt on it. I can’t figure out whether I like all the other “stuff” on the meat. I’ll have to try it again.