When to eat

(Scott) #1

The last couple of days , when I wake up not that hungry. I had a little snack around noon , then had lunch around 2:30-3. When I do this I’m not hungry for supper till 8-9pm. I was always told don’t eat before bed. Is this still true . Should I try and eat at noon and 6 and avoid that late night eating

Some people only eat before bed and it works for them. Personally, I do whatever my body (and mind) likes. I think it’s usually good not eating a ton before bed but it doesn’t mean avoiding it at all cost is the best option. I usually sleep better after a meal but I have other reasons to finish my last meal way before bedtime (6-8 hour is pretty normal to me). But eating when I am still very satiated sounds wrong to me. Why do you start with a snack? If you are hungry and can eat a full meal, maybe do it…? And then it’s possible you automatically will be hungry again earlier.

(8-9pm is late night eating for some people? :smiley: I know many people go the bed early but 8pm is still just evening and 9pm may be night. But late? :slight_smile: That’s more like 2-3am for me as it’s night before dawn. Not important, I just couldn’t resist. We people have some interesting personal terminology…)

(Jane Srygley) #3

I try not to eat late because I tend to gain weight when I do. I’ve also read that insulin is higher close to bedtime. I’ve changed my eating habits a lot! We all have to find what works best for us. Good luck!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

There are supposedly metabolic reasons not to eat within three or four hours of bedtime. I’ve never been sure whether that is correct or not. After all, taking a nap after a big meal is a time-honoured tradition, and it didn’t seem to harm our ancestors, lol!

But right or wrong, some of us don’t have a choice. Do your best to eat only when hungry and to stop eating once your hunger is satisfied. Don’t eat to the clock. If that results in your eating fairly close to your bedtime, so be it. That’s my take on it, anyway. But it is for sure a good thing to eat enough at your last meal of the day, so that you don’t go to bed needing a snack.

(Mg ) #5

I started back in November 2019. Went from ketosis to low carb I stand around 30-40 a day. I was viciously ill back in november doing 20. I think age has a lot to do with things. unsure why this ketosis go round was so brutal.
Anyway, I intermediate fast. I feed once a day with a follow up snack. I feed when I’m hungry. Sometimes I’m famished at 4 pm. Sometimes I become famished around 8-9 pm.
Only time I ever get sick when I feed that late is the snack. I love heavy whipping cream. Typically the homemade icecream in my dash icecream maker. It only makes a pint, but wow, I literally vomit if I do that after 7-8 pm. But the peppermint chocolate chip is so addictive.
If I don’t eat that one thing or anything with heavy whipping… I can literally eat my one meal any time and have zero side effects.

(Scott) #6

Thanks , do you have an easy ice cream
Maker recipe for other flavours ? Thanks for the info .
I snack at noon as not really hungry for lunch so usually a little cheese and a slice or 2 or salami

No you eat all you want on your personal timeline as you change and adapt. Listen to your body and IN THE END your eating pattern WILL change and it is all a great thing cause it means you are healing.

I could easily eat 1/2 hr before bed and be fine. Some can’t, it means restless sleep, gut troubles and more but if you do ok, the do you at all times.

While we adjust, adapt, heal, dump toxins and truly go thru adaption your body will ask for food, if you can do it easily and happily then do it, if you know food on tummy later at night before bed is bad, then EAT A TAD bit earlier to compensate :slight_smile:

Just eat ON PLAN foods any time you can handle them and you will change and be a whole new you if we allow the body to ask and then get what it has wanted…food! and good whole healthy food at that!! and for me personally, I think you are fine and in the right path you should be!!

For the majority of people it really makes no difference when you eat. But know that a combination of something like eating a late night dinner and an early morning visit to the scale clearly isn’t a great idea! Just make sure you don’t start under-eating.

(Scott) #9

Thanks . It was funny starter Thursday and was off Friday sat and Sunday . Weighed myself around 11am and good weight loss . At supper late last night and weighed myself at 7am (going to work )!and same weight as day before . I know i shouldn’t weigh my self every day but with good results the first 3 I couldn’t help myself .

I definitely don’t know I shouldn’t weigh myself every day or even twice every day. It’s perfectly fine if I can handle the information well :smiley: Some people shouldn’t weigh themselves even once a week…
Every morning sounds perfectly fine for me, just don’t panic/worry/feel ANY worse if you weigh more than the previous day. It’s normal. I don’t bat an eye if I see significant weight gain (though I rarely do, my weight is very stable). It’s not fat gain, just weight gain, after all (or not even that, personal scales aren’t very reliable). And seeing the same number for 10 days doesn’t mean we don’t lose fat every day either.

(Scott) #11

Thanks