When did you start?

(Brenna) #1

I am curious how long after starting keto, did you guys start IF?

Not sure if I should cut back or not.

When it came naturally.

(Ashley) #3

I think 3-4 months in is around the time I started eating less frequently. I think naturally my body decided I can go 20-24 hours between meals!

(Alec) #4

About minus 8 months. I did 5:2 fasting for 8 months before I went keto. It is quite possible to fast before being keto, and being fat adapted. But there is no doubt it is harder.

My recommendation from my experience is to become fat adapted through keto first, and then start fasting gradually after you are confident in your fat adaption.

(less is more, more or less) #5

I was IF before I was low-carb. I define IF as stopping eating at 9 PM, and resume eating at noon with lunch. Lunch, snack, dinner, sometimes skipping the snack. That’s it, eating-wise.

I did it on a lark. That was one big lark, let me tell you (ba-dum tish)

There was no strategy behind it. For the past 4 weeks, I’ve been off IF. I’m enjoying raw eggs blended in my morning tea. If anything, I have better morning energy now. But it all remains a lark. I love this way of eating.

(Carl Keller) #6

About a month in, I was eating 18/6 and a few weeks after that, I started doing OMAD. I didn’t plan this out. I just reacted to my lack of hunger.

('Jackie P') #7

For me I have always done it. I used to call it skipping breakfast. Often skipped lunch too. Then in the evening I drank about a litre of orange juice with an unhealthy amount of vodka. Crisps. A large dinner, ice cream, whatever!
So IF has kinda been my WOE but now with keto - fabulous!

(Alec) #8

Me too! I’ve never eaten breakfast, it never felt right, and I was always a bit aware that I was “suboptimising” my health because I wasn’t getting in “the most important meal of the day”.

And now I find I was doing it right all along! Yay!

(bulkbiker) #9

I started it from day one … skipped breakfast haven’t had it for 3 1/2 years mostly. Sometimes lunch always dinner.

(Brenna) #10

I’ve been having a hard time with IF lately. once in a while it feels great but more often than not its harder than it was before keto lol

so I was debating sticking to keto for months before going full into it again. Or what? I have no idea. I’m more confused than ever. and its been super hard to workout, do keto and IF.

I’m just not energized at all.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #11

4 months or so in. Fully fat adapted. Then maybe 2+ months to do extended fasts.

(Brenna) #12

ok. I think my problem might be that I’ve never actually gotten to be fat adapted then. I’ll have to work on that.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #13

Any sort of fasting is easier when you are fully fat adapted. Lean in, push hard, low carbs and don’t let crabs creep in. Fat adaption will come.

(hottie turned hag) #14

I started eating once/24 hr from the beginning of starting keto (Aug 2017).

I did it because I wanted SIMPLICITY; I am an extreme minimalist by nature and I never counted calories, nor macros, either.
This may not work for all but it did for me!

I eliminated all grains, all vegetables except tomatoes, peppers, scallions, cabbage, avocado (fruit I know), celery and pickles.
I ate meat, cheese, abovementioned veg and eggs until satisfied, once per day.

Weight dropped like mad! Now I am 118. Awhile ago I dropped all veg and cheese to break a stall at 122; goal is 110.

The thing I love about the once/24 hr is the ease of it and that I can eat a lot all at once; that feels great to me.

I never had “keto flu”, prob because I drink water (always with TrueLemon in it) like crazy and use a ton of salt/eat processed deli meat galore.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #15

As soon as I began adapting, around the 5-6 week mark.

(Jane) #16

I started out low carb in December 2017 and had never heard of keto or IF.

I found myself forgetting to eat lunch because I wasn’t hungry so it happened naturally on low carbs.

By January a friend clued me in to keto and I’ve never looked back. I don’t usually do OMAD. I either eat TMAD, skip a day of eating for a 36-hr fast, or do an EF for 3-5 days.

(Jennibc) #17

I have been doing this WOE for over 13 months now and I think it was last June that I cut out a meal in the morning - just went to coffee with HWC. So I having been doing a 16:8 since then. I have been trying to incorporate a 24 hour fast twice a week the past couple of weeks with varying degrees of success. Yesterday, was supposed to be one of those days, but had to eat something at 3 PM.because I felt so hungry and out of sorts. But either way I was still happy with my weigh in this morning. I think it may be that I am not cut out for longer fasting at this point, but I’ll keep trying.

(Jody) #18

I started fasting first after finding Dr Fung, then I kind of naturally went LCHF to make fasting easier.

(Jessica) #19

Fasting it not a keto requirement. Stick to under 20g of carbs, and if you are hungry, eat. Learn to listen to your hunger signals. When you do that and you aren’t hungry at meal time, skip it. Otherwise, just do keto. I’ve been keto for 8 months and fast when it feels right. I don’t schedule fasts.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

In my opinion there’s not a one right way. Many keto people skip breakfast. I get up early every day. Not to go to work, I am a minimal sleeper. I function better eating early in the day. Up at 6 drinking espresso and HWC with eggs, cheese and meats usually around 8. This is always low carb, moderate protein and extra high fat. I eat again around 3-4 in the afternoon a high protein less fat meal with vegetables usually and no snacking after that, water and green tea until going to bed between 10-12. I find this gives me better energy (because breakfast IS the most important meal of the day for Me) throughout the day and I need less energy in the evening when I am fully sedentary.

There’s evidence that eating the same foods early in the day rather than eating them later in the day is more efficient for your metabolism and eating earlier you’ll use more of that energy than eating up to a couple hours before sleeping. I don’t have any hunger after my second meal before sleeping and I think I sleep better without digesting a late dinner. So like the food pyramid getting flipped over in keto macros, I flip the widely accepted lunch and dinner schedule over as well. :cowboy_hat_face: