What's your KETO - Kryptonite?

ketones
ketosis
kryptonite

(Liz ) #61

After reading this thread I’m grateful I am able to easily portion nuts. But I tell you what, a package of cream cheese is not safe in my house. I had to stop buying it! Can also way overeat bacon, I know, I know, “No such thing!” But TRUST ME yes there is.

(TJ Borden) #62

:joy: you are soooo right. I can take an 8oz block and eat it like a candy bar.

(Diane) #63

I logged meticulously for the first 2 months. I got to the point where I tracked everything before I ate it. Then if it didn’t fit my plans, I would adjust it before eating.

(Diane) #64

Boarshead Smoked Gouda from the deli counter. However much I buy, that’s how much I eat. Doesn’t matter if it’s a pound, I can eat it all. Now I get some strange looks when I only buy 3 or 4 slices. It’s my go to movie snack! That way it’s just an occasional treat.

(Stephanie Sablich) #65

I really like this strategy! I’ve been diligent about logging as well, and my percentages always look good, but it is helpful for me to see the “impact” ahead of time.

Nuts for sure, I want to stick to my 1/4 cup but sadly it becomes 1/2 plus maybe a few more. And damn if they don’t kick me out of ketosis every time! But I haven’t had a cashew in 5 years and now I can eat them again so I want some… same for the other nuts I haven’t eaten in over 2 years. So yeah, nuts; macadamia, pecan, peanuts all an issue. And peanuts not only knock me out they give me heartburn all night long. Some day I’ll learn, but damn I love peanuts, peanut butter yum.

(Lauren G. ) #67

Peanut Butter is my kryptonite. I understand. I’ve learned to not keep it in the house all the time. But I try to bake with it or put it into a smoothie/fat bomb if I really have the craving. Otherwise…spoonfuls of PB are no good for me. Lol Baby steps and moderation with the nuts.

Exactly what you said. Cream cheese.

(Liz ) #69

It’s ruthless, right??

My kryptonite is reading about food, seeing food, or smelling food. Unfortunately, even reading this thread has made me want to go eat some nut butter! In the morning when I am trying to fast, my husband will make his breakfast and the smell makes me hungry…I actually feel physical hunger, not just the kind of craving that I get in my head.
Fortunately, being in fat burning mode has made portion control much easier, but frequency of eating is what I struggle with because of visual and olfactory stimuli!

(Steve) #71

Bread - especially sourdough. Every now and then I’d get a fresh loaf, still warm from the bakery, rush it home and scarf down about half of it (slathered very heavily in butter - melting into the bread) drool

I’m a bread guy. I’d sometime eat peoples’ pizza crusts if they left them on their plate (heh - people I know - family - not strangers in restaurants - THAT would be weird!) :wink:

I loved the crust! When I first started keto, I made pizza for my kids sleepover. They saved their crust for me like they always did. I was disgusted by how much extra I had been eating when I saw that plate filled with crust. Here I was thinking I’d only had 2 pieces.
My kryptonite, seeing good food wasted. My dog was in leftover heaven though!
I’m getting less and less carbbage. Pretty soon my whole family, and the dog will be keto.

(Roxanne) #73

We found that once we cut out the carbage and our dogs stopped getting carbage leftovers, they stopped farting (as did we)…they used to be able to clear a room with their carbage farts.

(Carolus Holman) #74

Kryptonite update, Nuts were still kicking my butt over the past 2 weeks. DON’T BUY NUTS AT COSTCO! If you are like me seeing those large packages of nuts tends to make you think eating them is fine, because there are so many! I watched a video recently about how people perceive quantities, a Ted talk that I can’t find! That got me thinking about one particular part of the talk.
It had to do with how we perceive value, and time. You would drive across town to pick up $100, but you may not drive to save $100 on a car purchase, $20,300 vs $20,400? It’s still $100. Anyway I digress.
Seeing a large bag of Almonds, and me scooping out a handful, doesn’t make the almonds less calories, however my brain looks at the totality of the almond supply, and calculates that I can eat more, because, look how many there are! Long story short, I have finally broken my Nut addiction with this realization. I have been Nut-free for 24 hours, and though this is sort of a tongue in cheek post, I think it does have some real information around our reward centers and how we perceive quantities. If I find the Ted Talk I will post it.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #75

I will eat them all before they land in the bags :confounded: :joy:

(Brian) #76

Now THAT’S an honest post! LOL!!

I still notice that we have more “fartage” in our house when the carbage levels are higher, less when they’re lower. The kids n grandkids were here last week and there were a lot more carbs here than is typical. Lots more farting going on.

(The weight, both mine and my wife’s, went up significantly as we dabbled in the carbage, too. But it’s coming right back down again with us resuming our normal keto diet a couple of days ago. No fasting, no torturing ourselves for our carby indiscretions. Just resuming our keto way of eating. I suspect no real damage done but it did make a difference, even smallish amounts of carbs we’re not used to eating.)

(Roxanne) #77

I have had the same experience after having carbage, which we try to avoid 99% of the time. We have had the odd carbage while on vacation and noticed an immediate increase in both weight and gas, but as soon as we get home and are back to keto, all quickly returns to our new normal.

(Carolus Holman) #78

You treat your body like a dump, you’re going to get gas. Just think of all that gas out there!

(Scotty) #79

Nuts…I can’t even think about having peanuts,almonds or heaven forbid cashews. These days I buy pecans and make my wife be their safe keeper once i roast them. She brings them out for crunch on salads.

Keto cheese cake. If it’s there, I’ll eat it. Period.

It’s not that bad really, made from cream cheese, cream, eggs and sweetener. But it’s so much of a magnet, if I’m trying to IF, it just wont let me till it’s all gone.