What's your KETO - Kryptonite?

ketones
ketosis
kryptonite

(Carolus Holman) #1

I have found my KETO Kryptonite. It is a semi-keto friendly food but it is kicking my butt, and I feel like I am on a Carb-Binge! NUTS. I have been eating Peanuts (5g Carbs, 3g Fiber), Almonds (6g Carbs, 3g Fiber) and Pistachios (8g Carb, 3g Fiber). One Calculation has me at 19g carbs, the other at 9g. Of course my brain tells me that it’s fine it’s really only 9g. Well this little bit has put me into quite the stall. I will need to check this habit at the KETO-Trash bin. Arrrgh, 169 days in and I am RE-LEARNING! I do know better, but the NUTS got the better of me, now I am doing the walk of shame back…:slight_smile: Well I am just KCKO and just wanted to get this off my chest!

(Jacob Wagner) #2

Stop eating nuts with added sugar.

I eat smoked almonds that I get in the bulk bin at Winco, it has almost zero non-fiber carbs.

I just got some this morning, I wish I had seen this post first, I would have posted the details.

They also have 4 or 5 dispensers with flavored almonds, some have huge amounts of sugar in them.

–Jacob

(Lauren) #3

Mine is sugar-free chocolate chips with butter. The butter is great, but I have to have hubby hide the chocolate chips.

(Jacob Wagner) #4

Oops, I realized that I never actually answered your question in my last post.

Mine is probably cream. The container says 0 carbs, but it’s actually about 0.4g per 1/4 cup. That means a big glass with some sugar-free chocolate syrup can run around 5g. That’s not too bad if it is an occasional treat, but when I thought it was 0 I was doing it way too often.

–Jacob

(Jen) #5

I second the sugar-free chocolate chips. I have to keep those suckers away from me!

(Brian) #6

If you like nuts, pecans are one of the best. Roasted with a little butter n salt… good eats. One of the lowest carb nuts.

(TJ Borden) #7

I stopped buying peanuts for that very reason. I love pretty close to a local grower/roaster and I’d always intend to portion out the bag, and then finish all the portions in one sitting.

Mine was cottage cheese. When I first started I was on the diet Doctor site and the focus was more on percentage than total carbs. If there was 5g or less of carbs in a 100g serving, it was pretty much fair game (I think that’s been changed since the site has transitioned from LCHF to Keto). Problem is a little tub of cottage cheese is 4 servings so in one little meal I’d already be at 20.

(Karen) #8

Peanut butter, or cocoa muffins. Both make me crave carbs. Peanut butter is a gateway drug.

K

(Rob) #9

So f’n true.

Little dry roasted b@$tards!!

Peanut butter is just as bad or worse to me. I always assumed it would be chocolate.

(Rob) #10

Very true but the problem for me, and it seems many others, is the quantity rather than the carb density. I used to be a cashew fiend, moved to almonds once I knew the carbs in cashews but struggle to keep portion control on any of them if they are in a big bag/jar. Don’t get me started on macadamias, those little fat bomb SoBs!! :scream:

Ironically, since I once bought the Trader Joe 200 cal packs of cashews or the Emerald 100 cal packs of cashews or almonds I could totally control my intake of those. I still have some packs that have lasted months. When I buy a big bag or jar of any nut, that bugger is gone in a couple of days. I know it’s my weakness and it pisses me off, all the more so because I seem to be able to avoid all my other prior cravings (chocolate, candy, cookies/biscuits, ice cream, pizza, etc. - all of which are still in the freezer/cupboard) but at least it seems I am not alone.

Thank you, fellow nut-jobs!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

PS I might portion bigger bags/jars out if I had anything to portion them into. Does anyone know any good materials (tiny bags, pots, etc.) that work for this. It always seems ridiculous to put 1oz of nuts into a 1qt ziploc bag.

(Jay AM) #11

Sugar free energy drinks and diet cherry pepsi or diet cheerwine. Before keto I would have the occasional non diet energy drink. I really like the taste. Caffeine doesn’t seem to do anything for me and will sometimes make me tired. I’m sure it has internal effects. So, my first keto run didn’t include these insulin spiking death cans. This round I heard something like, “a diet soda is a fine treat every couple of weeks.” And goodness was I craving one. It all went downhill from there. It was one diet soda every other day to two a day to four diet energy drinks a day because I’d buy them on sale for the week and drink them back to back all at once. It’s a disaster and has been for a couple months. I call it night shift brain because willpower is so weak and any of my cravings are the worst.

So, now, there will be nothing but water and if I really want a non water drink I have to make ketoaide. I’ve done it before, it’ll be done again.

(Sophie) #12

Pecans, macadamias and strawberries…can’t eat just one. :roll_eyes:

(Edith) #13

My kryptonite is pork rinds. I can’t just eat one serving so I end up eating too much protein. My big mistake was buying the big tub from Costco. “Oh, I’ll just have a few. Oh, just a few more.” I just keep dipping my hand in the tub.

Edith

(Rob) #14

Maybe not…

(Edith) #15

Hummm… very interesting. So… I guess that leaves me with the question: Are they kryptonite? Probably yes, since I should be eating a better quality food anyway. :grinning:

(Rob) #16

I know, I’m confused about what it really means too. I guess you have to count the calories but not really the protein? It probably doesn’t really enable GNG but who knows?

Since they are good and one of the rare keto snacks I am going to keep eating them (if not to excess) since they always push me over my protein too. Now I won’t worry so much about that.

(Edith) #17

Oh, I won’t stop either. Dipped in guacamole… so good. Hum … maybe I need some breakfast. All this talking about pork rinds is making me hungry! :wink:

(Rob) #18

Buffalo sauce and sour cream for me :yum:

(Edith) #19

Done that, too, except with mayo instead of sour cream.

(Carolus Holman) #20

When I say “KETO-Kryptonite” I am talking about KETO-Friendly foods that are either a “Gateway or Slip-and-Slide food”. Most KETO-Friendly foods contain a low amount of Carbs, however when binged upon they bring your Carb-Count to something resembling a Basketball score. When you reach the 4th Period of that “Game” then all bets are off and you may start the Slide into “Carb-Hell”. In for a Gram in for a 100… Fun thread everyone! Good to see I am not alone battling the NUTS! :slight_smile: :bacon:!!!