What's your 'go to' summer keto?

(Lindsey) #1

Hi everyone!

Here in the UK we’re having a rare heatwave. My usual ‘go to’ keto foods of cheese and curry are not exactly appealing, and in weather like this I’d usually be eating fruit - which is obviously a no go. I know salads are the classic summer food - what salads do you make? What other options are there for snacks and smaller meals? I need some inspiration, my salads tend to be a bit dull.

Thanks!

(Michelle) #2

Avocado sprinkled with Garam Masala seasoning
Sliced Cucumbers seasoned with salt and dill, a little splash of ACV and lots of avocado oil
Cold bacon
Deviled eggs - made the usual way with mayo and seasonings, add a smashed avocado to the yolks, and crumble bacon in top

(Allie) #3

Fasting. It makes the heat so much more bearable :joy:

(Lindsey) #4

Ha, that’s what I ended up doing on Saturday, just too warm to think about eating. :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

We grill out of doors a lot, now that it’s warm (although we are having an atypically cool June, here in Connecticut). Also, a small amount of berries in double cream makes a refreshing dessert.

I was in London during a heat wave years ago, when the temperature was above 80° (26.7°) all over Britain for a couple of weeks straight. There was a lovely article in the Guardian about an incident where a number of people were arrested for playing volleyball in the nude at 2:00 a.m. The magristrate (quite properly, I thought) dismissed the case, on the grounds that the heat had addled their brains. Keep cool!

(Candy Lind) #6

I’ve seen several nice salads in the “What did you keto today?” thread, among them a caprese (one of my favorites!). I also like to make myself a “snack plate” when I don’t want to cook - olives, pickles, celery and dip/cheese/dressing, ham and cream cheese roll-ups, other meats & cheese with keto crackers, things like that.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

Lol ‘heat wave’ at 26 degrees in Britain.
I live in Australia, my Queensland summers are 40+
My salads are pretty basic also, I make a lot of chicken avacado and bacon salads and eat them cold. Nom nom.

(Sarah Slancauskas) #8

We don’t consider 26 a heatwave- not sure why that was written! We have temperatures in the mid thirties at the moment and this is fairly rare and considered a heatwave by normal standards. 26 is just a decent day in my opinion! :sun_with_face:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #9

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe it was just labelled a heat wave.

(Lindsey) #10

I’m tempted to call anytime I see the sun a heat wave :rofl: Last week it rained for four days straight, was dark enough to need headlights in rush hour and I had to put the radiators on in the evening. I freaked out when I saw this bright yellow thing in the sky on Saturday and the sky a weird colour (I’m told this is ‘blue’). :smiley:

(Lindsey) #11

Eurgh, I can’t operate if it’s much over 30, I saw that in places in Australia is was over 50 last summer. I wouldn’t be able to move! :weary:
Chicken avocado does sound super tempting. Mmm.

(Lindsey) #12

Sounds good, thanks for the link! :smile:

(Lindsey) #13

Ha! Well of course, what else is there to do when it’s hot? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Berries in cream does sound tasty, I have a few strawbs in my garden that need eating. Yum! :strawberry:

As a newbie, my favourites are chicken liver pate and mackeral pate for their quickness and ease of making, and the ability to pack in loads of fat.

It will take only half an hour or so to make each recipe in bulk and freeze them in those little ceramic pots collected when ‘Gu’ or ‘Pots&’ were an easy pud.

Then make a lot of mayonnaise. Each portion can be tweaked in flavour if you get the urge.

And the sun is lovely.

(Lindsey) #15

When you make mayonnaise do you use a food processor? I’m not sure if it can be done in there or if I’d need one of those ‘magic bullet’ type blenders.

(Allie) #16

I’ve found this type to be perfect for getting the consistency of mayo right, but I just can’t get the taste right :neutral_face:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faringdon-Collection-17840552-Rotary-Whisk/dp/B0000BVEQD

(Robert Grane) #17

Hi there.

I got some quick tips for you, and I hope you will enjoy them.
This is snacks / easy meal alternatives
Pork Rinds
Nuts and seeds
Bulletproof coffee
Bacon ( of course)
String cheese
Guacamole ( Easy made with garlic,chilli and lime)

If you need some extra tips and ideas
Check out my instagram :slight_smile:
Ketoenthusiast

(Lindsey) #18

What ingredients do you use? When I look there seem to be loads of different recipes and they’re all slightly different.

(Allie) #19

I’ve tried several different recipes that I’ve found online but didn’t like the taste of any of them :frowning:

I have a Vitamix and some old fashioned balloon whisks. Any tool works.

And there’s loads of variations - factory made gunk is just that.

See this article for an evaluation of ingredients and methods.