What's your 'go to' summer keto?

(Brian) #21

There is lots more stuff coming from the garden this time of year so we tend to eat more from there.

One of my favorites from when I was a kid, mom used to slice up cucumbers really thin along with some onion sliced even thinner and put them in a liquid mixture of water, lemon juice and sugar. I now replace the sugar with a bit of an artificial sweetener of choice. It’s kept in the refrigerator. It’s rather refreshing, at least to me.

Another one that I like is red beet eggs. It’s basically pickled beets with enough liquid in them to cover hard boiled eggs that are allowed to sit in the beet juice long enough for the purple color of the beets to soak into the eggs, usually 2 or 3 days. (I know beets are on the naughty list but I will sneak just a little bit of them. Mostly, it’s about the eggs. Perhaps an acquired taste. I grew up in PA Dutch country so that’s typical fare.)

Of course, a slice of vine ripened, fresh out of the garden tomato goes with a lot of different things. Goes great on a burger or piece of chicken. Goes great in a salad. Goes great with a little ranch or mayo just plain.

(KetoQ) #22

Sardine dishes, because they are very nutritious and tasty and nothing to cook. Add a bit of lemon and olive oil, along with a side of avocado. Can also add dijon mustard to the sardines, if you like mustards.

I also love a thick slice of mozzarella on a thick slice of tomato with a basil leaf and lightly drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar or preferably, balsamic reduction. The balsamic, especially the reduction, can be a bit sugary, so go easy on it, but it adds a really nice taste explosion.

Or make your basic salad and add a few strawberries on top for your fruit fix.

It’s also a chance to get more inventive with your salad dressings. I make the following: olive oil 2 tsp, tahini 2 tsp, lemon juice 2 tsp, maple syrup 1 tsp (optional), dijon mustard 1 tsp, salt + pepper, and water if you need to prefer it less thick. Add the water by the spoonful until you get desired consistency.

Cheers.

(Susan) #23

I saw a recipe a couple of weeks ago which I’ve tried: Cucumber, feta and strawberry salad. Add watercress, olive oil and fresh mint leaves. Delicious!

(Michelle) #24

Wait. 80F is hot!? We are 90+ most of the summer in Kentucky.

(Michelle) #25

We have an over abundance for zucchini and yellow squash. I cut it into disks and sauté just barely in lots of bacon grease. Add salt pepper and garlic powder. We pretty much eat this every night because our garden is plentiful!

(mags) #26

There is a very easy recipe for mayo that has never failed me. Cup of olive oil… not the extra virgin. A whole egg. Tbspn vinegar/lemon juice. I use half acv & half lemon juice. Seasoning. Tspn dijon mustard. Put it all in a jar or smallish jug. Use a stick blender. Start at bottom of jar and slowly lift up and you’ll see it emulsifying. Literally takes seconds. I make a batch every week. You can add anything to taste. Garlic, blue cheese, whatever takes your fancy.

(mags) #27

There are some wonderful Greek salads on the Web. Very keto friendly. I did a nigella lawson one once and it was lovely. Fry some pecan nuts in bacon fat. They are wonderful thrown on a salad with olives and feta cheese. Oh bugger I’m fasting this is killing me!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

That was thirty years ago, after all. It was extremely unusual weather for the time. I understand things have changed since—they certainly have in the U.S.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

There’s an episode of “Mrs. Brown’s Boys” in which Mrs. Brown is tormenting some Mormon missionaries. She has a line to the effect of “The Bible says it rained forty days and forty nights? In Ireland, we call that fecking summer!”

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #30

It was England, don’t you know. I was in London one Christmas, when it was 55° and rainy. Back again in July, a few years later: 55° and rainy!