Whats your fat/protein ratio

(Allie) #41

That’s long been debunked.

I am sure fat is primary for almost every carnivore… It’s just not added fat but fat in protein sources but what does that matter?
Sure, some people are playing with PSMF but it can’t be sustained, it’s just temporal.

:rofl:
Yeah, sure… Our protein need is waaay higher than that… But people doing OMAD has no problem with lack of protein, some even gain muscle that way.

I don’t feel starved, for one. It’s a very high priority for me.
I do my best to eat as little protein as I can but it’s still high protein as I can’t function with less, I get hungry again and again and again.
But our protein need has a personal factor too. We need much. Not as much as many carnivores eat I am sure but it usually cause no problem. If it does for some, they should keep it lower, sure. Each to their own. Some has special conditions and eat 40-60g protein even on carnivore. Some eat over 200g. Both may do it perfectly for themselves.

(Bill) #43

Sorry but that is complete nonsense. Where did you get that from? a pro vegan site?

I have read that nonsense in bodybuilder sites too…

Some vegan sites are worse, I have read 40g protein as maximum per day for people with my stats at least once… I tried to imagine myself running away from most plants as they are just too protein rich… Sounded absurd and laughable and made no sense to me for multiple reasons.
It’s bad enough some people must stay low-protein due to some condition, I don’t know how their bodies function.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

I suppose that depends on what you mean by “consider fat secondary.” Whether someone is on a low-carb or a carnivore diet, fat becomes the primary source of energy, just as glucose is for carb-burners.

Protein, under normal circumstances, is not metabolised for energy, but rather the constituent amino acids are remade into new structural elements of the body. So one does not need an excess of protein, but does need enough. And that varies considerably from person to person.

(Ohio ) #46

If members come out of the woodwork to defend excessive protein intake. You might want to ask yourself:

Is confirmation bias at work when the limits of protein are being discussed?

I’m enjoying the cookie cutter answers.

“Carbs are bad” You are on a ketogenic forum. We’re beyond that.

(Michael) #47

I did not know of this, so I just did a quick research and found https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6483052/ . This was from 2019, noting proteins of both vegetables and animals sources are anti-inflammatory. Can you provide a medical source that shows your assertion. I always like to consider all evidence.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

Gluconeogenesis is regulated primarily by glucagon and insulin, which are produced in the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas, glucagon in the alpha cells, insulin in the beta cells. When the diet contains carbohydrate above a certain amount, the ratio of insulin to glucagon is high, and gluconeogenesis is inhibited. When the diet contains very little carbohydrate, the insulin to glucagon ratio is low, and gluconeogenesis is permitted. It is regulated by other factors, as well, as is evidenced by the fact that animals whose abilities to make glucagon and insulin have both been destroyed do not become diabetic. The only cells that we are sure require glucose are the red blood corpuscles (erythrocytes), which have no mitochondria, and the brain, which mostly prefers ketones when it can get them, but which does need a small amount of glucose, so far as we know.

Protein does stimulate mTOR, it has to be admitted. Before our understanding of mTOR had developed, some researchers feared that too much mTOR might hamper longevity. Now we realise that a balance between mTOR and autophagy is necessary; we cannot do without either process. But in a body that is properly fed, these processes remain in balance, and we do not need to worry about them. In any case, protein is essential to the diet, because there are certain amino acids that we require, but which we cannot synthesise in the body. If they are not present in our diet, we sicken and die.

The body’s two possible energy sources are glucose (carbohydrate) and fatty acids. Carbohydrate is unnecessary in the diet, because the body can make the small amount of glucose it actually needs, but that leaves fat as the energy source that the body has to rely on. Unless we are starving, our body does not actually metabolise amino acids (protein) for energy, since under non-emergency conditions it has far better uses for them than to burn them for fuel. The ATP yield from glycolysis and from fatty-acid metabolism is about the same (with perhaps a slight edge to fatty acids, I don’t remember), but there is a significantly lower ATP yield from amino acids, since more has to be done to them to get them ready to be metabolised.

I hope this helps.

(Ohio ) #49

I had a hunch about gluconeogenesis being inhibited when carbed up. Hopefully I’m not coming across as protein not being essential. Protein is essential. I’m just saying it’s not essential 365.

(Allie) #50

You are, well actually you’re coming across as if you believe it’s harmful when it is actually essential.