Whats your fat/protein ratio

(Sonny ) #1

Hi,

I have been reading up about the Carnivore diet and although I heard about it years ago I never looked into it but I am totally sold on it. I was wondering what everyone’s F/P ratios are. My goal is 80F 20P

Thanks

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Are you saying 80 g of fat to 20 g of protein, or 80% to 20% of calories?

Equal weights of fat and protein are 69% and 31% of calories, respectively.

I try to go for as lean as possible for me, like 55% fat :slight_smile: That is both realistic (if I do my best to avoid added fats and too many too fatty items - I still include some) and a fine number for me so I won’t easily overeat fat… And it’s enjoyable! :smiley: I never ate this low-fat in my life I am sure and it works!
As I need high protein and not high calories. I can’t do it right without a lowish fat percentage.

But my carni days went from 1:2 to 2:1 for fat:protein ratio, both extremes being quite rare, normally I eat a bit more fat that protein and wish to eat way more fat than protein but I hate overeating more. I had a very long time with 65% fat, I automatically ate around that (often a tad above due to my tiny extra fat and fattier items but my main 2 staples were just right there). But it was way too much fat to eat for my energy need and extra body fat.

(Joey) #4

Context matters…
Currently in the UK it’s 0.8x.
In Canada, it’s 1.3x.
In Oz, 1.4x.

And don’t get us started on which side of the plate the fat goes on. :grimacing:

(Michael) #5

I eat without calculations, so hard to know for sure. But in general, I try to eat as much fat as I can, without having issues the next morning in the washroom. For me, anything around 60% calories from fat starts to get dicey. My limit is no more than 70%. I ate more than 70% yesterday, based on this morning :frowning: I will specifically eat a bit less fat today to try and tame my digestion.

(Sonny ) #6

I meant calories. Tbh it seems like calculating this will take some work. For instance, I don’t expect anyone to have an idea how much fat they are taking in their ribeye. So most people just guess and judge it by the eye.

That said my plan is to buy the leaner/cheaper meats (i.e shin) and then eat alongside Bone Marrow. I am totally in love with bone marrow. I plan to make marrow my MAIN meal and compliment it with some steak.

I just need to calculate the kcals on the bone marrow I will be consuming.

(Sonny ) #7

I have been reading about consumption and it appears too little fat can lead to this. I will rather go than remain backed up :slight_smile:

(Michael) #8

I have not been backed up in 13 years. Sounds odd to say, but I would welcome a bit of struggle just for a change of pace :slight_smile:

(Sonny ) #9

So you are one of the lucky ones haha. Kind of reminds me of a friend who when he does extended water fasts always has his best night’s sleep 10 hours of deep sleep. I’d be lucky to get 1 hour of decent sleep.

(Bill) #10

You really don’t.
Just eat meat, bone broth whatever and forget the caloric values which are pretty meaningless anyway.

Im not carnivore, but i can imagine it is a total nightmare to work out.
ever when counting calories and macros it is a real guess. When the food companies put the into on the label they are allowed to be out by 20%. But with meat its more of an average. The same cut at different time of the year will be totally different.

So i guess it would be easier to do you maths and set your goals in grams of protein to aim for and grams of fat ot aim for. Then give yourself a wide margin for error.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Well, ribeye is about 1/4 protein by weight, and the fat is about equal to the protein, so 10 oz./284 g of ribeye would be about 71 g each of protein and fat.

As a good rule of thumb, meats tend to be 1/4 protein. If you are working in ounces, an ounce of meat contains about 7 g of protein. Fat content varies considerably by cut, and by how closely the butcher or cook insisted on trimming it.

I am zc 5 yrs and other long term on this lifestyle never bother to care about kcals or any fat/protein ratios :slight_smile: I know some like to know but the majority of us don’t care.

eat fat when ya want it, eat some leaner protein some days when your body asks for it and just follow your instincts in what the body is asking.

bone marrow…yum :slight_smile:

if you try to control your intake, try to restrict to certain fat amts or kcal amts etc. most times this will backfire on a zc person so reason is we say eat til satisfied, eat all ya want, when you want, don’t eat when not hungry and drink good water in your day and you are living the carnivore lifestyle :slight_smile:

me neither. 5 yrs straight best life in the bathroom I ever lived all my years on this planet LOL for me only a few bathroom issues with too weirdo spices on restaurant food or icky azz fast food burgers while traveling, but other than that, zc is the best total fix the guts lifestyle I could ever have hoped it could be!

(Robin) #14

I pay no attention to percentages or grams or any of that when it comes to fat v protein. I just eat me some meat and more meat.

(Allie) #15

No idea, I don’t count.
Just keep carbs low.

True. I am way more uncertain about my numbers since I eat meat as I usually eat fatty pork and I can see how different they are… But I did vegetarian keto/low-carb for a long time and that was easier to track. And I had 65% most of the time. I have some instinct to stay there and surely had plenty of carni days around that.

(Sonny ) #17

Completely disagree, like I said it depends on what ratio or how one wants to approach this. I am NOT a big meat eater nor I do intend to be one. I love fat and that going to be my main staple just like protein is yours. Everything is subjective and totaly dependent on ones approach. Personally I believe excess protein is bad. Protein is secondary for me.

(Robin) #18

One man’s poison…

(Bill) #19

So what exactly are you going to eat?

(Bill) #20

How can you claim to want to follow a carnivore diet yet not eat meat?