Whats the best way to get all your vitamins on Keto Diet

(Christy Dyson) #1

Im eating zero vegis at the moment. I bought some pink salt, but whats the best way to get all your vitamins. Just taking a multi vitamin at the moment. thanks I tried to look around and find something but no luck

(less is more, more or less) #2

There is a Low Carb Breckenridge video on this, but I cannot find it at the moment. TL;DR omitting veggies as nutrients may not be the problem we commonly think it is. In the meanwhile, Diet Doctor has a quick read on the matter:

You still need to eat leafy veggies along with some Keto veggies. I take a full spectrum organic vitamin by Garden of Life that I have used for the past 5 years as it is made with whole foods with out synthetics.

(Chris W) #4

I would say the biggest concern outside of the salt, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium being fulfilled naturally is your livers health. Extended periods of being ketogenic may incur a fatty liver without leafy greens, esp if your fat intake is high for long periods. If you fast or even IF that probably won’t be much of an issue. The benefits of eating leafy greens does extend to your gut though, and you may have bowel issues, I can only go a couple days and not get this myself.

this is insane nonsense. there has never been one case of fatty liver caused by lack of leafy green vegetables.

meat is the most nutrient dense food on the planet and you can live your whole life without eating a single vegetable.

please provide some sort of citation that NAFLD is CAUSED by lack of green vegetables.

(Chris W) #6

I never said NAFLD is caused by lack of green vegetables.
I said that you may, get a fatty liver, NAFLD is a whole different level of fatty liver. If you know were most of the fat in liver comes from than you know that around 60% comes from the adipose tissue, the long term is that if you don’t have enough of the proper minerals that allow your liver to deal with it and probably genetics as well there will be higher chance of the fat depositing in the liver from extended lipolysis and ingestion of dietary fat. I know there are a couple medical text books citing this out there. And like I said if you fast(even IF) it will not be much of an issue.

(Chris) #7

Beef
Wild caught salmon 2x a week
Organic cage free eggs
Kerrygold (or grassfed) butter
Iodized and Sea salt

That will cover all you need. Anything else is novelty

(Christy Dyson) #8

Gangs all there that looks like my diet at present:) and lean pork Thanks

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

Eggs. Nature’s original multivitamin.

Buy the good pasture raised ones.

(Bunny) #10

Some good sources of vitamins although not a complete list but an example to start:

Grass fed non-gmo organ meats offal and fermented organ meats

Or

1. Organic Wheat Grass juice

2. Non-fortified Nutritional Yeast

3. Organic freshly ground Chia Seeds

4. Omega 3’s from marine life

5. Organic sulfur (in the bag, not pills - mix with water)

6. Organic Leafy Greens and Cruciferous veggies

(Empress of the Unexpected) #11

I’ve been asking about the iodized salt but no answers yet. so you think a both iodized and sea salt will help with any iodine needs?

(Lonnie Hedley) #12

You need so little iodine.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iodine-HealthProfessional/

I eat 8 eggs a day. BOOM, all the iodine that is recommended. I sprinkle the 4 hard boiled ones at lunch with Lite salt. BLAM, I’m over the recommended amount of iodine each day. :joy::joy::joy:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #13

I don’t eat eggs and am trying to cut out dairy.

(Lonnie Hedley) #14

Ok. You still don’t need much iodine. 1/2 tsp a day of iodized salt gets you the recommended amount. You should be liberally salting your food on Keto, so 1/2 tsp in your daily food intake should be pretty easy. 1/4 tsp under the tongue twice a day probably wouldn’t hurt anything.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #15

I use a ton of salt but it’s only been sea salt for the past couple of years so that’s why I started wondering. Every once in a blue moon I scarf down seaweed but that’s not on a regular basis and that article points out you don’t know how much you’re getting in seaweed anyway. Thanks so much for your answer!

(Chris) #16

If you think you are deficient in iodine, just switch completely to iodized salt.

You can buy Iodized Sea Salt. best of both worlds!

Otherwise, pressed organic cranberry juice is loaded in iodine. Potent stuff (tastewise). May or may not fit your keto macros. Id prefer to get iodine from salt

(Pete A) #17

I take the vitamin supplements shown deficient in my diet, from my Fitday log: a multi, magnesium and C.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #18

Good to know. I must be deficient since I don’t eat any iodine rich foods. Interesting, I switched to sea salt only four years ago and at that time my thyroid was fine. My last blood test shows me slightly hyperthyroid. Which should mean I am getting enough iodine but some say supplementing might help as well. A half teaspoon can’t hurt. Though I can’t stand the taste of table salt anymore. So will definitely look into the iodized sea salt. Really good info, thanks.

(Christy Dyson) #19

Thanks love my eggs!

(Christy Dyson) #20

sounds good I need to add magnesium I think think i might be able to cut out melotonin for sleep. See a video on that today Thanks Pete