What's on your race calendar?

(GINA ) #1

Anyone have races coming up? We have this snazzy new running category and need to talk about something.

I am registered for a five miler in a couple of weeks, a 6 mile race in July (which is not a 10k, it is actually 6 miles), and another five miler in October. I may throw in a 5k on July 4th. Nothing long scheduled right now. I have a deferral credit for a half in August that I will likely do and one of my favorite half marathons is in the next town over in November, but I’m not registered.

What’s on your calendar?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

Nothing right now, but this reminds me to get my butt in gear and sign up for something. I get lazy with my training when I’m not working towards something. Ideally I would do a race every month to keep me on track, but that gets expensive.
I want to do a half by this fall, so I need to find a good 10k right now.

(Kevin Takahashi) #3

Nothing registered yet, but I’m going to do my “usual” half marathon in October, and look for a tune-up half marathon sometime in July/August to see where I’m at.

Haven’t trained since, oh, January-ish, so it’s time to get back out there. and hence the late summer tune-up. (not so much to do with this crazy winter, more so 'cause “ugh adulting” …)

(Alec) #4

Hi guys
I have a 10k on the 28th May, and hoping, no, expecting a PB. With fasting and keto I have lost 70lbs in 9 months, and PBs are fairly frequent!!

Really happy to have a run section!! :smile::smile:

(Alec) #5

LeeAnn
Do you have a parkrun near you? I know parkrun has not got too far in the US yet, but I think it will grow. Google it and see. If no parkrun near you, maybe you could contact parkrun US and ask them to help you organise one.

parkrun is fantastic and FREE, and a brilliant community asset.
Cheers
Alec
PS I do parkrun every week and LOVE it!!!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

We don’t, but there are so many local run groups around me, there’s never a want for one to join. We have the largest run group in our state and lots of splinter groups. They run a program called Summer Safari and one of the area hospitals does a huge run camp for preparation of their annual run. There’s also something called Urban Herd that meets every Wednesday for running in the city.

(Amanda ) #7

I have a half marathon this weekend in Windsor, CA. I’m sooo nervous. I will be only 14 days into keto by then. My 7 miler this weekend was kind of a hot mess, but I finished it! Way slower than usual.

(Edith) #8

I am running the Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon in Fredericksburg, VA, this Sunday. My first half. I’m going for living when I am finished. Any time will be a personal best.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

Thank you for this post. It was exactly the kick in the pants i needed to go out and find a race to sign up for. I just signed up for a 10k June 2nd.

I really want to try a trail run, but I didn’t see any nearby on dates that worked for me.

Does anyone here do trail runs? If so, how do you like them compared to road races?

(GINA ) #10

I’ve done a couple. It is different training. The first trail half I did I had been training for another road race and hiking because it was summer. I thought that combo would work. Not so much. I finished and didn’t injure myself, but I was under-trained.

Now I trail run pretty often just because it is nice, but haven’t done any trail races in a while.

(AllenW) #11

I have a 100 mile trail run coming up June 15th! Big Horn 100. I’m close to fully fat adapted but my experiments on how to best pull this off utilizing the best of Keto and adapting other race-day strategies will be on-going. Actually they have been on-going for a few years but I’ve never been this fat adapted before. After the race I’ll have more to say about what did or didn’t work.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #12

I have a good friend who runs very centuries. I am in awe of anyone who can do this.

(Edith) #13

So… for trail running… Do you just run a hiking trail for training?

(GINA ) #14

That’s what I do. We have a nice state park nearby.

(Elijah Barrett) #15

Just chiming in to say I’m doing a half marathon in October. I’d like to do a 5k in 5 weeks before my 12 week training plan starts.

How did you do on the Windsor Half. I am impressed that you ran it while being In Ketosis for 14 days! I live in Santa Rosa and run in Annadel all the time. I started LCHF but didn’t feel like I could sustain while training for the Annadel Half. I started LCHF and totally loss my energy on a ten mile trail run. I always think about starting LCHF food program but always have a running event that I am signed up for. Congrats on your half! Windsor Half is a great event, I know it well!

(Amanda ) #17

The Windsor half was horrible. I would now warn all new-to-keto runners to not do it! I finished,but it was brutal, and I was sick for the rest of the day. Even threw up! I think I overdid it on the electrolytes in an effort to try to not feel so horrible. I am not a fast runner anyway but my usual 2 hour 10 minute pace for a half ended up being 2 hour 40 minutes. My legs felt like giant heavy tree trunks.

I’m at 6 weeks keto and ran a 5k this weekend that actually didn’t go any better :frowning: I will need more time to fat adapt to get back into it.

I am so sorry the Windsor Half didn’t go well. I am sure it was super discouraging. I guess 15 days Keto is too soon to expect great physical performance.

I am also sorry that the 5k didn’t go great last weekend too. I have to imagine that you’re almost there. Keep up the Keto and don’t give up on the running. I am sure, by most accounts, that you’ll hit your stride soon.

Best of luck…and I am super impressed that you are in week six of Keto. Inspiring!

(Alec) #19

Ellen
How did you go on your 100 mile trail run? Do you think you did better or worse on keto than if you wer carbed up? Or did you carb anyway?

(Alec) #20

I’ve got a 10k planned for October (starting to warm up then in Aus). Until then I am training with regular weekly 5k parkruns. Hoping for 2 more PBs (PRs for my American friends!) in the 5k before my 10k effort.