What's better, 48-72hr fast or every other day fast?

fasting

(Sierra) #1

Hi everyone! So, I’ve been fasting 2-3 days a week (usually ends up being 50-60 hours) for the past four weeks in an attempt to become more insulin sensitive and to loose some body fat (I’m a 45 y/o female with 30% body fat and have sugars that after eating carbs (before keto) will go from 220 down to 49 in a 2 hour window). But I just got the book “The Complete Guide to Fasting” and it shows a protocol of fasting every other day. So, what is better? I feel like every other day would be easier but I’m wondering if I will loose some benefits the increased ketones offer. I’m kept adapted and after 24 hours water/tea fasting my ketones are in the 2.4 range, but after 60 hours they are in the 5.4 range. Does anyone have any experience or input on this? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

(Dustin Cade) #2

the more i understand fasting, it seems that daily intermediate fasting say like a 16/8 or 18/6 timeline or whatever fits into your lifestyle is best… at least for me… I’m not sure i see a benefit for me to do extended fasting, at lease not at this time in my progress.

(Sierra) #3

What about the immune benefits of a 3 day fast? Or the benefit of higher ketone levels?

(Dustin Cade) #4

I don’t think its unsafe, but I also do not think it’s really needed, I’m not sure if I’ve seen any info that higher ketone levels make us healthier… these are my own opinions… and how I interpret the information I’ve learned thus far…

(Jennifer) #5

The benefits from autophagy and increased production of growth hormone kick in after 24 hours or so. I think the longer you can go, the better, in that regard. But it really depends on where you are in your keto journey and what your goals are.

I like 3-5 day fasts and even did a 7 day one last month. I will probably continue to do longer fasts until I get closer to my goal weight.

Do you listen to the “fasting talk” podcast? I can’t remember which episode it was on, but I’m pretty sure they spoke about this.

(Sierra) #7

I have, but I should listen to it again. And didn’t they do one on fasting and one with Fung? Thank you for the suggestion!

The longer fasts will give you more autophagy and growth hormone. You can’t get that level of autophagy and growth hormone with daily intermittent fasting.

Good for you that you are capable of doing multiple day extended fasting. Many people are not able to achieve that.

If I were you, I would not go to daily intermittent or alternate daily fasts. The multiple day fasts are technically more difficult to do and accomplish a lot more benefits for effort put in.

There is a 2KDs podcast where they talked to Dr. Fung. I was referring to another podcast called “Fasting Talk” with Dr. Fung, Megan Ramos and Jimmy Moore.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #10

@Scrunchii: The best fast is one that you can live with! For some that may be only IF and for others extended is simple and fine. As was mentioned above, there are many more benefits, the ones you are looking for like increased HGH and relief from inflammation.

The most benefits all kick in at about 72 hours so you may want to build up to the 72-hour fast and then gradually extend beyond that. Actually after the 72 hour point fasting is really easy!

(Kathy Meyer) #11

I like to try various fasting schedules just to keep things interesting, and to keep my body from adjusting (like it did to shorter intermittent fasts). Right now I’m trying the 42 hour fasting protocol from Dr. Fung’s book and I like that a lot, but I need to stay on it for awhile to see if it is effective for weight loss. I plan on doing a few 100 hour water fasts during the year specifically for autophagy, but like the shorter fasts to fit in with my lifestyle. But always willing to try different fasts, and the best ones are the ones that work for you.

(Bill) #12

“fasting talk” with Jimmy Moore is a great podcast that answers many fasting questions. It is pretty new, just over 10 episodes, so you can quickly catch up. (He also has a Keto Podcast.)

Megan Ramos recently talked about the importance of switching up your “fasting routine.” The logic behind this is similar to muscle confusion with working out. Your body is highly adaptive and will become accustomed to repetitive stimuli.

KCKO!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #13

I listen regularly!

(Sierra) #14

I just re- listened to the podcast with Fung. And even though he was talking with the dudes about The Obesity Code book he said not to make it too complicated. Just try a few different ways to fast and do the one that works best for you. *hitting forehead * duh!!!
I do like the idea of a 100 hour fast. 100 is such a perfect number! Iand I also think I’m going to mix it up with my frequency and length of fasting to keep my body guessing. I do feel that I can’t fast like I used to (my longest was 14 days) because I’m still breastfeeding my daughter. She’s two years old now so not getting lots of her nutrition from nursing but I still feel that I shouldn’t do more extended fasting until she completely weans because of the toxins that can be released into breast milk. Also, while I fast I do things to help my body detoxify for that very reason. And even though the first 2-3 days are the most difficult they get easier the more I “flex my fasting muscle”. I actually have no problem with 48-72 fasts. But I don’t think I should go past 4-5 days. I’m also a bit worried about electrolyte deficiency because of nursing, which is another reason I’m not doing longer fasts.