What to eat when FEASTING after 72 + 96 hour fasts

(Craig Murphy) #1

Hey Everyone. What’s your experience with ‘feasting’ after fasting please? I’m very insulin sensitive, I’ve tried 16/8, 20/4, and even OMAD but I don’t really see much success in releasing fat unless I fast for 72+ hours. I know Dr Fung says it’s almost the same to do 4x7 day fasts as it is to do a 30 day fast and it really fits with me to ‘feast’ on Monday and Friday evenings which I’ve been doing and have been seeing great success with.

During my fasting I still drink 1 or 2 coffees with heavy cream first thing in the morning and the rest is mainly broth, black tea / coffee with some mineral water and added sea salt. I also take epsom salt baths. (Boy was that joint / bone pain I got from fasting not nice but since I topped up my salt I’ve been AOK.)

Anywho, I was wondering what everyone’s experience with feasting was. I typically lose .5’ish a pound a day and have been steadily eating up my fat reserves. I usually break my fasts with some turkish style food. Halloumi, Liver, and a large mixed plate of chicken / lamb shish, some lamb chops and cutlets and some chicken wings / thighs, skipping the rice and having extra salad. (With some of my own olive oil to make sure I’m getting quality fats.)

Personally I think it’s only around 1500 calories. 2000 at the most. Is that enough to be classed as a ‘feast’? I know on the obesity code podcast Megan Ramos has mentioned that people aren’t ‘feasting’ enough after their fasts.

I’m seriously considering joining their IDM program but wanted to see what sort of experience there is on here.

(Craig Murphy) #2

Whew! I posted the above on a facebook forum (Obesity Code Diet (Dr Jason Fung) and quite literally got my face ripped off by some troll! Clearly FB isn’t the medium to have adult conversations.

(Mark Rhodes) #3

My first 1 or 2 days I easily go well over 5000 calories. I finish a fast with a major workout. The only time I supplement BCAA is when I know my insulin can drive it home like at the end of a fast, so I break my fast with some olives and HWC BCAA, Glutamine, Carnatine and I raw egg. Then I start dinner, usually a fried ribeye. From there I just eat. Until I am full. two hours later, I eat again cause I am hungry already. I let my tastebuds dictate what I eat.

(Craig Murphy) #4

Thank you Mark. I’m going to try eating more this time.

(Mark Rhodes) #5

I should also add my goal is not weight loss but fat loss. Throughout my 14 month journey I have not changed my overall weight by but 3 lbs. I have however changed my body composition as measured by a Dexascan by over 12 %. My wife conversely has lost almost 60 which according to the Centenarian Podcast puts her at slightly above average in weight loss for that time period.

So my methodologies are built on sound Keto principles that include extended fasting and natural IF ( i just don’t eat sometimes). I have found that 1/2 pound per day past 56 hours is pretty good calculation. My wife having more fat stores seems to average about 5/8 lb and I seem to average about 3/8 lb or less each time. For me that fat seems by observational methods to redistribute every time. My belly fat gets squishy and minimal. Then I eat and the fat on my ass seems to get even less and my belly returns to size, once again thrawting my bottom 2 abdominals! Motherfucker!!! LOL. Yes I have a six pack, some of it is still in the fridge!

Finally I eat more carbs not by design but just do when preparing for a fast or feasting after. These carbs are all on the approved foods list and I call them Keto Carbs just not at the levels I am eating them.

Good Feasting! Good Fasting!

A feast needs to be a surplus of calories if your goal is to keep your metabolism up. I would aim for at least 3000 calories throughout the day.

(Lonnie Hedley) #7

After my 100+ hours, I was barely able to finish my typical 1870 calories for the day (it was actually 1778). My goals are also not weight loss. I think for me, a surplus after that type of fast would be hard. So I just went back to the exact things I eat every day. HWC in my morning coffee. Egg and cheese scrambled for lunch. Ground beef, bacon, eggs, sour cream, and cream cheese for dinner.

(Trish) #8

Can you guys pllease explain the need to feast after fasting? I just completed my first EF of 88 hours and couldn’t even finish my meal I was so full. Thanks.

There isn’t. The whole “feasting” thing is specific to Dr Fung, yet all the rest of the time, like most he’s says to listen to your body and eat when your hungry and DON’T when your not. The two things contradict each other. I’m a big fan of his books but don’t agree with the feasting thing. I can see maybe if sometimes does OMAD which I also don’t think is a good idea most of the time that they may want to keep giving their metabolism a kick in the ass to keep it going, but aside from that I don’t see the point. I do week long fasts most of the time and when I break it I eat normal.

(Trish) #10

Thank you. :slight_smile:

I think feasting largely depends on whether you want to prevent weight loss while fasting, and whether you want to prevent metabolic rate slowdown.

So basically, it is up to each of us to do what suits us. :slight_smile:

(Justin Jordan) #12

And actually, feast by Fung is…misleading isn’t the word, but it’s easily misinterpreted.

He’s NOT telling people to intentionally eat more when they’re not fasting, he’s telling them to not calorie restrict. What he doesn’t want people to do is fast for three days, eat 800 calories, and then fast for three days.

But he also doesn’t want you to force feed yourself either. You’re meant to eat normally, like you hadn’t fasted.

(Cathi Di Cactus) #13

Maybe I have misunderstood, but I’ve actually always thought the feasting was to be done PRIOR to fasting and eating light to normal after. I normally eat OMAD…a ridiculously big bowl of salad greens with a good protein source and healthy fats with a 48 hr fast once every 2 wks or so. I also try not to ever eat after 7pm so when I breezed past my 48 hrs without a thought of eating this time around I decided to continue my fast and see how far I got. I’m at about 95 hrs right now and feeling no hunger at all so maybe I’ll go another day. Just trying to figure out what the best way to break my first extended fast would be. I’ve heard people say that if they eat a heavy meal after a long fast they experience horrible GI effects and I really don’t need that

Most I ever did was 8 days, in all my building up to that I was never hungry during them. Always felt awesome, always had good energy, still did my workouts and physical job no problem. When ever I broke them I just ate. I never got into the whole eat something small, eat something later then built up crap. Once food hit my mouth the floodgates were open and down it went!