What to eat after an Extended Fast, from Live Q&A with Megan Ramos Obesity Code podcast

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

If you haven’t listened to this one, be sure too. Especially the info from 32:00 onwards. She addresses refeeding and what to start with at 33:09 she discusses that there was an editing error in the Complete Guide to Fasting, nuts should have been on the what not to eat list, unless you sprout them.

I know I always broke my longer fasts (up to 108hr fasts) with a few macadamia nuts. Turns out that is not the thing we should be doing. As I buy roasted macs, I also won’t be doing any sprouting of nuts.

You can listen here if you don’t subscribe to the podcast:
http://obesitycodepodcast.com/category/podcasts/

Binging with Intermittent fasting

I’ve listened to the podcast. My interpretation wasn’t that there were “right” or “wrong” foods, but rather some foods tend to be easier to digest for some people. She also said refeeding issues are very rare, especially for well nourished (read overweight) folks fasting for reasonable time periods (up to a week).

In my experience fasting (usually 4-10 days) I’ve had no ill effects from anything I’ve eaten to break the fast. And I’m not cautious, I’ve eaten nuts, sushi, BBQ, cheesecake, whatever was available.

Maybe I’m exceptional or maybe refeeding concerns are overblown, I dunno…

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

Her remarks surprised me. Yes, she was referring to extended fasts, many of their clients have issues with nuts since they are hard for the body to break down. She suggested waiting 24 hrs. before adding nuts back into your diet if doing the longer fasts.

I never had an issue personally with using nuts. I also use them to get through 36-42 hr long IFing without any issues. I wanted to post this about the podcast because she says they made an editorial error putting the nuts in the recommended group. For some people that might be very important information?

I especially liked her comments about fasting 3 days a week. She said their clients always get off meds or at least can decrease them a lot within 6 weeks if they fast 3 days a week, either consecutive or spread throughout the week, like a MWF protocol. They also have good weight loss doing that.

(Raj Seth) #4

You got that right. I dont experience hard core hunger, but when the mind knows I’m coming off the fast, watchout!! if it aint nailed down, I am scarfing it. Especially Liverwurst. My single favorite thing to break a fast with. I’m starting a 3 day today - already have 2 lbs of braunschweiger liverwurst in the fridge for Wednesday - since the meat shop will be closed when I get back!

I didnt get to be 300lbs with a delicate constitution - I can eat almost anything without gastric distress!

(Liz ) #5

I appreciated listening to Megan discuss refeeding because I almost always have gastric distress breaking after about 70 hours fasted, shorter fasting times don’t seem to give me as much trouble on refeed. Going to try the psyllium this week.

(Madge Boldt) #6

@Rajseth I’ve been trying to find liverwurst with no added sugar. Sure is difficult! I’ve settled for Jones since it only has 1g carb per 1.6oz, but sometimes I want more than that! Where do you get yours?

(Raj Seth) #7

Local meat shop. All the sausage is store made by them

(Madge Boldt) #8

That sounds great. I need to find myself a shop like that!

(Rob) #9

If keto and these forums have taught us anything, it is that there is no absolute right or wrong way to keto, it’s all about what works for you. I broke 7 day fast with macadamias and cheese and then bacon and eggs soonish after. Not a peep of disaster pants or discomfort.

I’m sure that Megan is right “on average” but no-one is actually average so I take such advice with a pinch of salt… to be fair I eat everything with a pinch or more of salt :yum: