What to do with a bunch of beef fat?

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

Okay, don’t shoot me… and yes, I’m already kicking myself for not thinking ahead…

But yesterday I bought my first whole beef brisket, and I proceeded to murder that thing, trying to trim the fat, and separate the point from the flat. But even in doing so, I ended up removing (and tossing) like 4-5 lbs of pure beef lard !
After the fact, I started thinking… surely their must be a way to render all that awesome fat down, so that I could use it in my cooking of other stuff ???

Or, how about slicing it, frying it, and eating is straight ? Not necessarily as a whole meal, but certainly as a side dish :slight_smile: It would be great with anything you were feeling was a little bit high protein, and not enough fats. Typically I handle that with butter, but this might be nice for a change…

Anyway, what would you do with 4 or 5 lbs of beef fat ?

PS, next time, I might have the butcher trim my brisket for me, but Im sure I could ask him to keep the fat, as Im sure they would be charging me for it anyway.

(Bob M) #2

We used a crock pot to make tallow. Like this:

Then, use it to fry or cook with. Wherever I use beef, I use tallow to fry. I also use tallow for actual frying (in a fryer), but that takes a lot of tallow.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #3

I am going to do this the next time for sure !

BTW, check this video… Its kind of amusing :slight_smile:

Makes sense it would taste pretty good, and not change the natural flavors :slight_smile:

(Leslie) #4

Eat that beef fat! Cut up smaller pieces, heat lightly in broth, eat warm (or cold) and use it for edging up your keto fat ratios. You will love the taste and the brain benefits!

(Leslie) #5

This not advice to render; this is fresh fat add on to meals.

(Steve) #6

Beef fat is king!
Sometimes I cut my brisket for sous vide like this and roast the fat till it’s crispy, it will help get the macros up especially for leaner cuts.

(Susan) #7

You can actually eat this as meals if you do a 4-5 day fat fast! Where you only eat fat… you might like this actually as you can eat like 1000 calories a day but totally from fat!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #8

Thanks all :slight_smile: That actually looks really good :slight_smile: I was telling my GF about this, and thought she might be like… “Ooooh”… But to my surprise, she was like, "Sounds like Pork Rinds (which she loves) and so I was like yea, but maybe a bit more juicy… and beef instead of pork :slight_smile:

I’m so stupid to have thrown that fat away yesterday. But doing the first of 4 SV Briskets today, and next time around, I’ll keep it for sure :slight_smile: Plus, will have the butcher take care of all the trimming and separating the flat and the point for me ! What a PITA that was ! Especially with dull knives… but I do have an electric diamond sharpener on the way :slight_smile:

(Ken) #9

The fat is the best part of the briskit. I usually cut the briskit into steaks, pound seasoned meat tenderizer into them and grill them. The longer they sit in the refrigerator the better they get. They will keep at least a week because the tenderizer has salt in it.

(Bob M) #10

Yes, I usually leave the fat on brisket, with really is pretty lean without it and can get dry. I guess sous vide helps, as it keeps the moisture in. But even when I use sous vide then smoke, I leave the fat on.

For all the recipes where I’ve made brisket, I’ve never taken the fat off. Sometimes, for a braise, I might get rid of floating fat after cooling the whole thing, but not the fat on the meat.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #11

Okay, so I kept the chuck roast, and threw away the fillet mignon ! I wish I could say this was stupidest thing I’ve ever done in my life… But I don’t want to be a liar now too ! :slight_smile: lol

(Doug) #12

StickOfButter

:: puts down stick of butter ::

Shotglasses

:: does shots of melted beef tallow, olive oil, and bacon nectar ::

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #13

Ha :smiley: lol Right ?

(Windmill Tilter) #14

Buy an inexpensive meat grinder, and add it to leaner cuts to make amazing hamburger and sausages!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #15

Sounds like another great use ! :slightly_smiling_face:
TY

(Kirk Wolak) #16

Hey, we’ve all done it.

I just started saving my sous vide meat juices for stock/broth! (after 9 months)
You don’t realize how it adds up, and how much flavor you are tossing out!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #17

Well that one I caught onto in the very first SV cooking :slightly_smiling_face:
With yesterday’s brisket cooking, I kept the juice, and it was super tasty. But it seemed like it might be too salty if I cooked it down. After the fact, I think it would have been just fine, so next time for sure, I’ll cook it down to condense it a little for sure.