What to do with a Beef Shoulder Roast

slow-cooker
cooking
beef
recipes
zerocarb

(What The Fast?!) #1

Hi all! I have two beef shoulder roasts (I’m in a grassfed CSA, so I get whatever they give me in the monthly shipment) and don’t know what to do with them! I prefer my meat rare, but I think it’s a tougher cut of beef, so I imagine I have to either slow-cook it or Instant Pot cook it til it’s falling apart, is that right?

Would love your thoughts and ideas!!

(jilliangordona) #2

I typically braise mine in red wine and beef broth in my Dutch oven for about two hours

(What The Fast?!) #3

While we’re at it, I have some beef stew meat, what do I do with that?!!?

(Jeremy Storie) #4

Crockpot for both. Salt and maybe a little crushed red pepper if you want it spicy :hot_pepper:

I would do this!

And it’s what I’m making tonight!

(Andrew Anderson) #6

I’ve cut them in thin strips and marinated for a few days and make fajitas. Cubes can work for shish kabobs as well if they tenderize long enough.

(What The Fast?!) #7

ZC sure makes it difficult to make any recipes!! Haha, either way, I’ll do the instant pot, thanks!

(matt ) #8

You can Sous vide as well. Assuming that’s an option.

I’m not sure if the Mississippi Pot Roast is zc but it’s extremely delicious!

(What The Fast?!) #10

Thanks @Joanna_Osterloh - ZC is only animal products, no plant based products.

(James storie) #11

The last roast I did (chuck), I simply seasoned it heavily with pink salt and put it in the crock pot on low all day. It turned out magnificent! It was fatty, so I didn’t add any water. You can’t do that in a pressure cooker.

(What The Fast?!) #12

I threw the shoulder roast in the slow cooker with a couple cups of water and pink salt. I seared in butter briefly on each side but that’s it. I just came home and though I intended to eat dinner at 7…I just ate like 10oz of it while standing in the kitchen. Oops?

(James storie) #13

Hahaha! I’ve got one at home waiting for me to cook just for me! To be fair, I did buy my wife and kids one too!

(What The Fast?!) #14

I’m kind of guessing on the amount, I was literally eating it with my hands standing over the instant pot…this Carnivore stuff is no joke.

On a side note…I had my lashes done today by a woman who has a ONE HUNDRED pound pig as a pet. She said that she’s fully potty trained, sleeps in bed with them, plays with the dog, etc. She said they don’t eat pork. :slight_smile:

(James storie) #15

That’s why I could never have one as a pet! But if I did, his/her name would be bacon!

(M C) #16

This is one of my go to meals. Easy to prepare and cheap!

Beef and Broccoli

Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless, beef chuck roast, sliced into thin strips (easiest to do when still slightly frozen)
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup Tamari (gluten free soy sauce replacement)
2 tbs erythritol
1 tbsp. sesame oil
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 tsp to 1 tsp Xanthum gum
Frozen Broccoli Florets (I used one bag)

1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the beef consume, Tamari, erythritol, sesame oil, and garlic.

2. Lay the beef strips in the crockpot and pour the sauce over, tossing the strips to coat.

3. Turn the crockpot on low and cook for about 6 hours. Mine was ready at 5. You don’t want to cook the beef too long or it will start to shred and be chewy.

4. When it is just about done, add your xanthum gum. I added the broccoli in at this point so that it could get heated through. You want to let it cook an additional 30 minutes so that the sauce can thicken and frozen broccoli can cook. You don’t want to add the broccoli until the very end or it will be mushy.

5. Serve over cauliflower rice.

Here is the nutrition infomation from my personal myfittnesspal and it does not include cauliflower rice.

Nutrition Facts
Servings 6.0
Amount Per Serving
calories 408
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 28 g 43 %
Saturated Fat 11 g 54 %
Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 113 mg 38 %
Sodium 115 mg 5 %
Potassium 2 mg 0 %
Total Carbohydrate 2 g 1 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g 8 %
Sugars 1 g
Protein 32 g 63 %
Vitamin A 16 %
Vitamin C 55 %
Calcium 2 %
Iron 24 %

• The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.