What might be the cause of balance instability and dizziness?

(From XL > Medium) #1

Since Jan 12th this year, I have been experiencing various degrees of balance problems and a bit of dizziness. This is more pronounced if I get up during the night to go to the loo, where I have to trace the walls of the room and hallway with my hands until I get to the loo, otherwise I fear I might fall down. This has never happened before.

This started approximately 19 days after I abruptly stopped these meds;

Ramipril 10 mg 1 per day
Spironolactone 25 mg 1 per day
Metoprolol Tartrate 12.5 mg 2 per day

I used to get quite dizzy for about 10-15 seconds, if I got up suddenly from a seated/sofa position. But this seemed to be due to my blood pressure meds being too high, so my doctor cut and reduced those and that problem stopped.

(bulkbiker) #2

Does that mean you are no longer taking any meds?

(From XL > Medium) #3

Yes.

(bulkbiker) #4

Maybe suggest lying in bed a bit longer before getting up as it may be the after effects of sleep? I used to get a bit woozy when getting up n the night although since my blood sugars have normalised I usually sleep for 7-8 hours without needing to get up to pee.

(From XL > Medium) #5

I feel this feeling as soon as I wake up, without really moving at all. It lasts the whole day too, regardless of what I do.
I wondered if shaking my head quickly from side to side, would exacerbate the experience, but nothing happened.

(bulkbiker) #6

Could be low blood sugar , low blood pressure, lack of sodium do you have way of measuring the first 2?

(From XL > Medium) #7

My blood sugars are not low at the moment and I add salt to my drinking water, each day. I also know the difference between when I used to get hypos and now and its not the same sensation.
My old BP meter packed up (mentioned it on another post I gave earlier) & I can’t afford to buy a new one. My BP was close to being normal when I last tested last summer. Not tested since then. I can’t afford doctor visits though.

This morning’s blood glucose was 174.

(bulkbiker) #8

Wow that’s high… something you are eating is not good for you…

(From XL > Medium) #9

I provided some more info on myself in an earlier post, which you might like to read.

(bulkbiker) #10

Yes I saw that and I hate to say this but your meat free diet doesn’t appear to be doing you any health favours… so I don’t really see what I can suggest.
Maybe check out some of the vegetarian and vegan diet suggestions on the forum? Wouldn’t do any harm.

(bulkbiker) #11

You may also find some useful suggestions here

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

You can check BP for free at many drug stores like Walgreens.

(Lisa ) #13

I wonder if this is an inner ear problem. Your doctor can do a maneuver to check. Google otoliths and BPPV. The other factors you mention may also contribute but it seems more like vertigo than lightheadedness.