What I've learned after 5 years, 80 pounds of fat loss and 20 pounds of muscle gain

@JLigs14
Take it slow. Dont hurry yourself. I just suffered from the keto rash and had sinusitis and gained back some weight while eating keto. Now I feel better and am losing again. Sometimes it goes in spurts and sometimes it looks like nothing is happening. I know some people who were not massively overweight who simply lost 20 lbs in one whole year. That isn’t rapid weight loss either, but it works because it is sustainable and what’s not to love? And another thing, after maybe even as long as 3-4 months, one becomes fat adapted. That is not the same as “in ketosis”. Wait for that magic to occur. You will be amazed. I think I have spurts of being fat adapted-like it isnt 100% or even 90% yet. My body must be a tough sell to burning fat- but some days I am just not hungry. Today I was even full of energy. It is 2 pm here and I have no desire to eat anything, but I feel good. I`ll just see how long this lasts. One slips into intermittent fasting without even noticing. And funny - but I just thought how it used to be that when you had no appetite you were considered somehow sick. Now not having an appetite is considered “fat adapted”, a goal, and healthy!!!

(Steak and iron) #320

I don’t think anyone here recommends any of these paid for plans. Are you associated with this business in any way?

After 3 months l decided not to check the scale. I am being vigilant, l am not hungry and l feel my body changing. The scale can be a real bumber.
I am in ketosis but haven’t been higher than moderate.
Keeping carbs under 13 g for the most part keeping calories under what is suggested.
I guess l should weigh but don’t want to be discouraged.

(Sitanshu) #323

Excellent Read. Well written and very helpful/

(Giovanni Zapatero) #324

Please could use your advice. Have been on Keto for about 48 days still feel tired most of the time. Im eating clean about 2500 calories a day carbs no more than 30grams and fats are high. I still have not reached that pinnacle that everyone talks about. I have heard that some take a long time to become fat adapted. Do you have any advice this is the third time I have tried this and the longest I have ever gone but it gets frustrating sometimes.

(Susan) #325

Try for 20 grams or less of carbs to get into Ketosis, and depending on your height/gender/weight/age you might be eating too much too --we can help you better if we know these things and what you are eating =). If you follow this guide, it should help a lot though, best wishes =).

(Sitanshu) #326

Have you considered the calorie intake? 2500 calories a day might still be more then you need.

In my experience of about 6 weeks, eating just below maintenance has given the optimum results. That was with some exercise (5k run couple of times a week, couple of long walks, and no equipment resistance workout).

If your body keeps getting more calories that it needs, even if it fats, it might not be going into a state where its required to burn much fat. You might have switched to keto, but would probably not be getting all the benefits.

(Joyce Russum) #327

I’m a newbie…but have been on Keto 3 months and have been slowly losing the weight but now really frustrated because my weight has crept up 2 lbs, with no change to diet
if anyone out there has input for me please feel free to

(LN) #328

Thanks for the message. I started keto in January 2017, and have been off and on it since (mostly off). I’ll be doing well, then the other adults I live with will bring home some crazy carb treat and I’ll roll all the way back down to the bottom of the hill. And like any addict, the will is there in the morning, and gone by afternoon.

I signed up for the forum to help me build resiliency into my keto lifestyle. Yes, I gained back most of the weight I had lost (about 25 pounds), but it isn’t really the weight that is driving me back to keto–it is the energy. I have so much I want to do with my life, but I am constantly exhausted. I am aware of how carbs affect me, but again, like any addict, the instant gratification of a sweet is a siren song that is hard to overcome on my own.

So, thanks again for putting these paragraphs into verse and sharing. For me it isn’t so much an intro to keto as a call to real commitment.

(Susan) #329

Welcome to the forum, @ezbub and good luck staying on track this time =).

(LN) #330

I am hopeful! Since I am mid 50s I feel like I want to spend the next 25 years or so moving, not practicing eternal sleep. :smile:

The first couple days are the hardest, but I weighed myself and logged back into my diet tracker. Good start. :slight_smile:

(Leili) #332

I need help please.
I started keto 30 days ago combined with IF of 18 hours. Limiting my intake to 1-2 meals of healthy keto.
I eat 5-6 strawberries, 3-4 Square pieces of very dark chocolate, 200g protein, lots of veggies, I don’t eat cream or butter and just a little cheese, some peanuts and almonds and also sometimes 20g of oat bran I cook with water. Mainly just some oil. I also started taking mct oil in my coffee. I feel I’m bloating And not losing weight. I am a professional trainer, work out a lot. Run a lot. But I am still not showing keto on the keto strip test. I’m demotivated and don’t know what to do.

(Leili) #333

I need help please.
I started keto 30 days ago combined with IF of 18 hours. Limiting my intake to 1-2 meals of healthy keto.
I eat 5-6 strawberries, 3-4 Square pieces of very dark chocolate, 200g protein, lots of veggies, I don’t eat cream or butter and just a little cheese, some peanuts and almonds and also sometimes 20g of oat bran I cook with water. Mainly just some oil. I also started taking mct oil in my coffee. I feel I’m bloating And not losing weight. I am a professional trainer, work out a lot. Run a lot. But I am still not showing keto on the keto strip test. I’m demotivated and don’t know what to do.

(Jane) #334

How many grams of carbs are you eating a day?

(Susan) #335

Hi Leili, welcome to the forum.

If you keep your carbs at 20 grams or less, cut out the chocolate, peanuts, almonds, oat bran, and cut back on the vegetables then I am sure that you will start to see some loss =).

Keto is easy, 20 grams of carbs or less, lots of healthy fats and adequate protein, drink lots of water, and keep your electrolytes up, no sugar (and some of us even find we have to eliminate all sugar substitutes for weight loss as well).

Best wishes =), keeping the carbs as low as possible is the key to success.

(UsedToBeT2D) #337

200 grams of protein sounds way too much. I am 110 lbs lean body mass, and I limit to 80 g protein. Cut out all but the green leafy vegetables. Eat the cream and butter. Cut out the strawberries. Eat the cheese. Cut the oat bran. Eat more fat, less protein.

(LN) #338

When you are trying to induce you want only 20 grams of carbs, but you will always just want a maintenance level of protein. Our super helpful bodies will convert protein to carbs in a heartbeat, and the carbs from the metabolized proteins to right back into muscle and liver glycogen.

After you’re in nutritional ketosis, you can choose how many carbs you want between 20 and 100 grams. If you are doing the keto lifestyle for weight loss, once you get to your goal weight 100 grams of carbs a day is a maintenance level. You are still in ketosis, just not deep into ketosis. If you are fine with losing weight slower, you can increase your carbs somewhere between 20 and less than 100.

You don’t have to do this whole thing at once.

KCKO!

(Ashley ) #344

Thank you thank you thank you for writing this. I’m just starting my keto journey 8/11 and I’ve been searching things I can eat, what not to eat, etc. I saw at sprouts all these “keto” junk foods you mentioned and was thinking I’d try it out - not now! Without realizing YES I am a slave to the sugar, carbs, and that’s all that would be feeding. I am happy I joined this forum. :smile:

(Sean ) #345

A lot of great info and advice here!

(G V) #355

I’ve been eating once a day for over two months and I lost a lot of belly fat and over 30lbs feel amazing. I eat steak the size and thickness of the palm of my hand and 2 or 3 farm raise free range eggs, sometimes I include half of avocado. I fry my steak and eggs in real pig lard. Stopped eating carbs and sugars completely and Most important do not use or consume anything that has vegetable oil or shortening in it “poison”.