What is the longest fast that you've completed?

(Charndra Pile) #117

Hi Bettyvee,
YES! When I am really out of sorts hunger-signal-wise (You know what I mean!) ANYTHING passing my lips triggers my insulin.

On those days, I dry fast until 16-18 hours when my insulin does a big drop, and that seems to do the trick. I’ll then drink some water, salt and ACV and do the same the next day. Then, I am past that horrible ‘peck, peck, peck’ feeling.

Technically a soft-dry fast, as I still shower and wash hands and teeth as needed.

• Charndra

(Mberg) #118

What is turmeric BPC? (I know what BPC is)

Alternate Day Fasting turned ZC...back to fasting
(Carolyn Gephart Wilson) #119

Hi, I’m new here - joined primarily to see how people are breaking their extended fasts while still staying in ketosis.

I’m on day 46 of a Fung style modified fast. ( A little heavy cream in coffee once a day and a couple of cups bullion with added Himalayan salt). I also take my regular supplements which include a high quality whole food multi-vitamin, Coq10, Fish oil, and magnesium. Also take an electrolyte supplement and phosphorous drops a couple of times a week. Current plan is to go to day 80 (providing I continue to feel well) and then reassess.

I started out already in ketosis and with about 70 pounds of excess fat. Starting weight was 194 lbs. height 5’5" with a small frame. Current weight is 166 lbs., so I still have a good 40-45 lbs of fat reserves on board.

I’d love to hear how others have done with fast of 4 weeks or more. . .

Here’s to ketosis, fasting and better health!

(Zu) #120

Lol sorry I meant turmeric latte,
Turmeric, cinnamon, butter, coconut oil, optional sweeter cream or milk… Hot water.

My mistake but it’s sooo good! And extremely healthy

Fatzo,
Would you mind sharing your recipe for the turmeric latte? It sounds like it would be good.

(Zu) #122

Ok… So i get a 1 lt coconut jar that is empty lol… this is my drinking vessel. HA!

I put about a flat Tbsp or slightly rounded tsp of turmeric…
then I go to town with the cinnamon, as much as I’m feeling jolly,
then if i feel festive enough I add stevia (green type… works well with any type)
Then I add hideous amount of butter (1-3TBS) and the same of coconut oil…
Add hot water and stick blend that thing!

I have been known to add a ridiculously good dash of cream or sometimes fulfil milk…

Its so good, and better than BPC,

I do the same with jasmine green tea and roasted dandelion - Im so done with coffee!!

PS If you have a spare vanilla pod -even a used one, add it in and steep!

August Fat Burnin'

This one, 111 hours, completed at 0930 this morning…bacon, eggs and butter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Mberg) #124

Oooh that sounds good

Day 46…fantastic. I could only do 7 days and then I started feeling not so good.

Thanks Fatzo! I will have to try making this. I bet it would especially be great on cold mornings.

(Zu) #127

Um every single morning really… I pack in in a 1L jar, put the lid on and take it in the car too… I no longer need to eat for long drives - too full from my latte!

(Zu) #128

here is a pic today of my BP green jasmine tea

(Carolyn Gephart Wilson) #129

Knowing when to stop is crucial. 7 days is a good long fast. What kind of changes did you notice post fast?

I’ve done 7 - 10 days multiple times, but this is the first time I’ve ever done a truly extended fast before. Tomorrow will make 7 weeks. So far I’m feeling well most of the time - just realized my potassium levels were low, contributing to feeling tired for the last few days. Popped an extended release potassium this morning - problem solved!

I had fatigued and achy muscles and felt weak. I took a multi, magnesium, sodium…but it didn’t help. And the couple lbs I lost I gained back, so extended fasts don’t seem to work well for me. I like IF better, and think it helps my IR better. I think my hashimotos Thyroiditis is the biggest factor in me not being able to sustain a longer fast. I wish my body was normal because I would love to accomplish what you have accomplished, :slight_smile:

(Carolyn Gephart Wilson) #131

I had good results with IF, but it wasn’t quite enough to reverse my IR - was still dealing with central obesity. (Plus a tendency to regain easily.)

With Hashimoto’s you really need to pay attention to what your body is telling you - I would suspect a long fast might not be a good idea.

Maybe try 24 hour fasts 2-3 times per week and see how that works(?)

That sounds like the best solution. And I’ve found I actually feel better with higher protein and lower fat. That’s what I started last week. Along with 16/8 fasting. I’ll add in a couple 24 hr fasts and see how it goes. I used to consistantly fast exactly that way, but felt I was gaining fat and losing muscle. So now I’m doing protein/fat 2:1 and I feel good. I lost 2 lbs in the last 2 weeks, fluke? We’ll see. I haven’t found my sweet spot yet, but heck, I’m gonna keep trying :slight_smile:

(Carolyn Gephart Wilson) #133

Ultimately that’s what each of us have to do - find what works for our individual bodies. (A lot of people are happier on a higher protein diet and thrive on it, others on low carb, high fat, moderate protein and still others swear by an all plant based vegan diet.)

It will be interesting to see if your higher protein intake works well with your IF program so that you retain/build more muscle this time around.

I’ll keep you posted :wink:

(Carolyn Gephart Wilson) #135

I’ll look forward to your update.

(Mberg) #136

Wow that’s amazing!