What is the best exercise to burn fat the quickest

(Patrick ) #1

Hello all, new to the forum.

I’ve read a few articles on the best type of workouts to perform in order to best utilize Ketosis. I’ve always lifted weights my entire life as well as played sports.

I’m 33 now, sports are out the door, I do still lift from time to time, and have dedicated myself to this diet and getting back in the gym 5 days a week.

My question is, where do I get the most bang for my buck on this diet?

would I be better suited to cycling to take full advantage of the fat burning? I prefer weight lifting (not heavy), just little rest periods in between sets.
I also enjoy sprinting, not so much steady state cardio running.

Everything seems to point to steady state cardio, which I hate lol. I do like biking, just not jogging.

Any answers/feedback is greatly appreciated.

(Ron) #2

This might be helpful.

(KetoQ) #3

Hi Patrick –

I’ve been asking myself this same question, and based on what I’ve researched, steady state cardio is not the answer – although it is part of my routine as I do a lot of walking. The reason why, your body quickly adapts to what is often a relatively easy routine, and therefore expends less energy to do the activity. When you get in shape, it gets easier.

So the “no pain, no gain” does come into play. The best fat burners (and what I now do myself) are weight training and HIIT (high intensity interval training) or also known as Tabata training. You can do HIIT/Tabata on a bike, or running, or with various cardio machines. It is a short work out, but more intense. Studies show you get more of an afterburn effect on your resting metabolism from HIIT/Tabata.

Good luck.

Agree with Q66
In particular 100m, 400m, 800m, 1600m on a track all out sprint.

For weightlifting, this is a great program:

Below is a link to an article which discusses some research about HIIT w/ kettlebell snatches. The workout consisted of doing kettlebell snatches programmed as 15 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of rest, repeated, for a total of 20 minutes. The researchers found that the participants burned at least 20 calories per minute. They say that this is equivalent to running at a 6min/mile pace or cross country skiing uphill at a fast pace.

The article also includes a section describing a number of kettlebell movements. The snatch isn’t described there. Snatching a kettlebell takes some time and practice to master, which may be why it’s not mentioned there. I would guess that doing a hard style kettlebell swing confers similar benefits.

(Patrick ) #6

Awesome! Thanks everyone. I figured the high intensity stuff would best to do, but wanted to make sure. That’s what I prefer to do anyhow.

(Bunny) #7

#1 Mistake when trying to burn fat on a ketogenic diet is eating too much fat % like 80% does not mean eat lots and lots of fat (must be adjusted to each individual) i.e. Don’t eat too much fat?

#2 Mistake not practicing Intermittent Fasting IF ratios or meal frequency so you will burn your own fat not dietary fat! Do it gradually (at your own pace) or you will crash and burn and get real hypoglycemic? HIIT will also help to increase growth hormone when you sleep (recovery period)…

Tip:
Apple Cider Vinegar helps the body hold on to potassium (humans need 4700 milligrams per day and maybe half 1/2 that when your BMI is optimal) longer (because the body gets too alkaline as you age) or from being flushed out! Helps digest protein and mobilize calcium (anti-calcification of arteries and internal organs) to name a few benefits…

Too Much / Too Little Fat?