What is the benefit of Keto vs Lower Carb?

Hi, so I’ve been exploring lower carb for just over a month now-transitioning from a mostly whole foods, plant focused way of eating, to a mostly whole foods, general lower carb, higher fat way of eating. No structured plan and just a loose goal to be under 100g of carbs a day. In the month of doing this I’ve noticed that my carb intake has naturally continued to drop and I think I’m now in the 30g net carb range, so getting close to keto levels. This was never my intention with my low carb experiment, but here I am :slight_smile:

So my question to everyone is-what would be the benefit of doing intentional keto vs a general lower carb macros split? I’m also coming at this from a bit of a unique perspective, since I’m over 6 years into maintaining a large weight loss, (by focusing on CICO), and I’m not interested in losing weight. In fact, I’ve lost around 10lbs since starting lower carb a month ago and my BMI is now 20.8, which is too low for my comfort level. My blood work is also good-just had it done a couple weeks ago and cholesterol numbers are solid, glucose was an 80, blood pressure was 110/70 etc. At the visit my doctor pretty much said everything was perfect.

My hunger/appetite has totally been corrected by going lower carb and I don’t know that going even lower carb would make a difference there? My PMS symptoms have also disappeared in the two cycles I’ve had start during my lower carb experiment, so again I don’t know how there could be improvements there. I have no medical conditions, take no medications, etc.

I’m intrigued about keto, just because it’s so popular right now, but I just don’t see that it would be beneficial for me to do, based on my situation? I’m also a bit nervous about my carbs dropping into keto range but if I’m not being intentional about being there what happens if I go in and out of it? Not sure on the science-if this harms the body in any way, will I start experiencing that dreaded keto flu I keep hearing about, over and over again as I go in and out of ketosis?

Would love input as I try and figure out where to go from here, thanks so much!

It sounds like you’re metabolically healthy and may not experience the carb withdrawal side effects some of us get. If so, the presence of ketones (or not) isn’t something to worry about. The recent 10lb loss could be largely water weight.

Are you doing any kind of exercise to build muscle? The scale weight is not going to indicate body composition.

Thanks for responding! I’m doing brisk walking 5-6 days a week (1.5-2.5 miles per time) and then I’m adding modified push-ups 3 times a week now, with a goal to add other body-weight strength training as the summer progresses.

I’ve been tracking my food carefully since starting lower carb, as well as spot checking calories over on cronometer, and the significant reduction in appetite is causing me to struggle with calories-my TDEE is around 1,900 and I’m averaging 1,300-1,500 a day right now. So I think the 10lbs is a mix of water weight ‘whoosh’ and then just from my lower calorie intake. Never thought I’d have an issue where I was struggling to eat enough calories, LOL :slight_smile:

How are you estimating TDEE and calories?

There’s an interesting discussion about how effective that really is HERE.

If you continue to lose weight without wanting to, it might be useful to have body composition checked by a DEXA scan to see what’s what.

(Carl Keller) #5

Hi Sara.

Neat experiment. I’m not an expert but I’m thinking your carb count falling naturally lower is because your body is thriving on protein and fat and that your cravings are gravitating toward those macros more and more.

Intentionally lowering your carbs even further might not gain you any advantage. It sounds like you are in ketosis @ 30 net. I was able to get into ketosis when staying under 50 total grams per day.

Some atheletes eat LCHF because their bodies are more efficient using ketones for energy, especially in endurace sports. If you enjoy having consistent, all day energy and don’t like the wiped out feeling after your body burns up all your glycogen reserves, then ketones are the ticket. Also, recovery time after a lot of hard work or exercise is greatly reduced when we are not running on glucose. Last fall, myself and buddy sawed and chopped up a fairly large tree for firewood. It took us most of the day and I was fully expecting to be sore the next morning. I woke up the next day and most of the soreness was on my hands from a few blisters. My muscles, even those I rarely use, had only minimal complaints!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

The benefit of a well-formulated ketogenic diet consists in chronically low serum insulin and glucose levels, the use of ketone bodies and fatty acids as fuel by those cells that can take advantage of them (in particular the brain and the muscles), a reduction of systemic inflammation and advanced glycation end-products, normalization of blood pressure, the healing of cardiovascular damage, and so forth. In my book, any diet low enough in carbohydrate for you to experience these benefits is a ketogenic diet, regardless of what your personal carbohydrate threshold might be.

We recommend staying below 20 g/day as an arbitrary limit, because it is a level below which virtually everyone can get into and remain in nutritional ketosis (the only exceptions being certain people whose metabolisms are badly deranged). Either your carbohydrate intake is low enough for you to be in ketosis, or it is not. If you are already experiencing these benefits, there is no need to lower your carbohydrate intake any further than it already is, unless there is some other reason, such as carbohydrate addiction, or a sensitivity to phytochemicals, that dictates a lower intake.

I just ran my stats through a few TDEE calculators and they all gave me a similar range. I’d love to get a DEXA scan someday, but can’t afford it right now.

I’m definitely craving fat and protein now! My son’s birthday was this past week and there were all sorts of sweet treats around-including a cake that had several kinds of candy AND brownie added to the frosting (grandma went all out, lol). I’ve had no interest in eating it at all, even though it’s been sitting on my counter for a couple days now. It’s just not even on my radar as something I’d want to eat-it’s a bit surreal actually!

I haven’t tested to see if I’m in ketosis but I wonder if you’re right and I may already be there now. I haven’t had any symptoms of keto flu though, so I thought that meant I was above range?

Bravo! :clap: :clap:
Leave that nasty, sugar-infested crap to rot.

(Scott) #10

I think it is like deciding which beige color chip is the right color for the living room. I am very active and tend to stay between 30g and 50g carbs (I love wine at dinner) and suspect that I often drift in and out of ketosis. I never measure or count anything and this WOE just feels natural to me. It really is only an issue when people are doing this for weight loss or to reverse T2D. I just watch the scale and my belly and if needed adjust based on those indicators. Scale is doing great but the belly is more stubborn. :rage:

Thank you, I do feel like I’m in a good spot right now and I’m really enjoying the food! Eating lower carb has also motivated me to make other changes, and I’ve almost completely cut out diet soda (was drinking 4+ cans a day, an expensive habit!), and I’m also now looking into local options for meat, produce etc. I actually just signed up for a hydroponically grown leafy greens CSA this morning from a local farm and will be getting pesticide free lettuces now. I’m also going to check out a butcher shop tomorrow that’s supposed to have locally raised beef and pork :slight_smile:

I have three kids and none of them have really been eating it, besides at the intitial party-they’ve all said it’s too sweet! If kids are saying that then you know it’s got to be insane, lol. It was really pretty though :slight_smile:

Thanks, I think this is the direction that I’m going in, letting the lower carbs fall where they may and just enjoy it :slight_smile: Today I’m on track to being under 30g carbs, just based on what foods I feel like eating. Right now I’m eating a late lunch of cubed top round steak (cooked in butter), mixed together with sauteed mushrooms (avocado oil), broccoli, onion and red bell pepper. Tied together with seasonings and then 2g carbs worth of steak sauce. So good! :heart_eyes:

(Carl Keller) #14

Your control of your cravings and reduced hunger leads me to believe you are producing ketones. One way to tell is that unused ketones in your urine might have a distinct aroma to it.

You don’t have to experience the “flu” in order to be in ketosis. The majority of flu symptoms are caused by an electrolyte imbalance. When our insulin levels stay low, by restricting carbs, we excrete sodium a lot faster than we are used to. If we don’t compensate for that, a whole slew of things can go wrong and the keto flu gets the blame.

Ah, I tend to be very generous with salt based seasoning mixtures, so that could explain me bypassing the nasty symptoms :slight_smile: Good to know!

And I have noticed a ‘smell’ sometimes going to the bathroom, almost like when you eat asparagus, but not near as strong. Huh, I think I may be in ketosis after all :smiley:

Thanks everyone for the responses, I’m so glad I found this message board!

(Marianne) #17

Me, too! Diet Dr. Pepper.

I remember going to the bottle return one day and I had like 500 cans of DDP I was returning. That is all I had - no other kind of pop or anything. My neighbor’s boyfriend was there and he was giving me shit about having so many pop cans - when he was returning just as many Coors Light cans. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: