What is the #1 thing that made the scale move for you?

(Jody) #21

I have no clue where my body will take a stand, it will be interesting.

(Jody) #22

That’ just it, it used to come off my belly, now my belly isn’t losing, it’s coming off my butt/hips. But I read that is exactly what happens during menopause, fat shifts north. I’m hoping it increases my bra size :):grinning:

(Wendy) #23

Obviously that wasn’t in a week. :grin: But it does show how much body composition is really what most of us are looking for and not a number on the scale.

(Wendy) #24

I wish! I’m thinking of doing headstands to see if gravity will change my fat distribution. My waist is fine but my bust, what bust? :blush:

(Jody) #25

Wendy, I’ve been a pear my whole life. I seem to be turning to an apple. There’s got to be SOME positive to this fat moving North!

(Wendy) #26

Wow that sounds really good. I don’t think I can eat 4 but I can down a good sized steak.
I had the same issue where I had to increase how much I ate and had the same results. Being cold is one of the signs for me that I need to eat!
Do you have a recipe for those thighs? Do you bake them?

(Sue ) #27

Ladies, I’m more than happy to share some of my bust! I’m tired of carrying these things around and the weight doesn’t seem to be coming off that part of my body. :nerd_face:

(Wendy) #28

Is this one of these things we can do on Swappa? (or other online selling app) :rofl:

(Wendy) #29

Me too. The waist did pretty much disappear for me. Time is your friend.

(Sue ) #30

Sure, as long as shipping doesn’t cost me too much! :joy:

(Consensus is Politics) #31

I really have no recipe for it. I just played it by ear. I had found a baking recipe for chicken thighs, so I used that for temp and times.

I use chicken thighs with bone in and skin. I save neary 50% if I debone it myself, and I get it with skin on. Its much better with skin on. Deboning is far easier that I would have thought to. Its only one simple bone :cowboy_hat_face:.

Here’s how I make it…

Debone thigh, while doing that, fillet the thigh i. Such a way that you are butterflying it away from both sides of the bone. Basically making the thigh long and thin, because you will be rolling it up.

With the thigh now ready to be rolled up, spread a layer of whatever you like. Cream cheese, with some garlic, some jalapeños, mushrooms, probably aything you like can go in there. I often grill up some onions ahead of time. Just remember, whats rolled up inside wont get roasted/broiled. But will get cooked. But dont put too much, as you need to be able to roll it up.

Now roll the thigh, starting with the smallest end, ending with the widest end. That way the stuffing stays put (more often than not).

Once rolled, lay out a strip or two of bacon. I usually use two strips, but sometimes the thigh is too small so it gets one strip. Place the thigh in the center of the bacon and wrap the bacon across the mid section towards the outside ends. I dont bother pinning it with toothpicks, they usually get burned up, leaving partially unburnt picks in the chicken.

Cooking is in two stages. 175 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Then increase temp to 350 for another 30 minutes to finish cooking. Will brown a little. Will be cooked all the way through. If you arent sure about it being cooked all the way through, check it to be sure it is before eating. You don’t want to risk salmonella. Mine has cooked great everytime. I also mod the initial temp sometimes a little higher, 190, to help it brown a little more after second cook time.

Thats it. Not nearly as complicated as me writing this.

One alternate method I have used is when I had no bacon. When I put it in the overn I basted the chicken with bacon juice. Baste really well, and again after the first 30 minutes. Makes the skin very crispy and tasty :sunglasses:

(Wendy) #32

Thank you so much for the detailed recipe. I will give it a try. I have some chicken quarters already. It looks and sounds so good!

None of the above. I track everything I eat. So if I have wine or a bowl of berries with HWC, it’s all in the carb count. By doing this I also know that I’m not over doing it with fat or anything that might send my total intake way above what my body can use every day.

Some people say “Oh, just eat to satiety,” but that’s not a good signal for me. I think a lot of the cut dairy and nuts advice isn’t really that people are getting better results because they had bad reactions to those foods somehow; it works because they’re restricting fat and calorie intake. Maybe that’s easier for people who don’t want to track, so, sure if that works. But I doubt many of them actually have problems with those foods.

This would be all I needed to do, except now I am post-menopausal, my hormones don’t ever want me to lose weight, ever again. To overcome this, I’ve also added some IF.

You’re six weeks in. I’d start by tracking everything you eat and drink for at least two weeks. That way you’ll have a very clear understanding of what your intake is. I heard a good interview with Dr. Ken Berry who was saying that he clears up almost all of his patients’ stalls by reviewing their food logs. There just end up being things that seem “okay” until there’s one at every meal and snacks besides.

If you’re still stuck, drop one thing and see if anything changes. If you drop a bunch of things all at once, you won’t know which was causing trouble.

(Consensus is Politics) #34

This is true; however, you can do it much quicker this way. It’s like doing a binary search. If you are eating 10 different food items a day, and you want to track down which item is a culprit, you take out half. If there is no improvement, then you know it wasnt that half. So drop the other half instead. Still no improvement? Its probably not a food thing, unless its somehow a combination of foods. But thats another problem.

Instead you might have discovered that dropping the first half of items did clear the issue. Add half of them back in. If the issue returns, you know its in that half, if not its in the last half. This is one of the quickest ways to narrow down a search.

I have done searches this way since I was a kid. I didnt know it was called a binary search until much later. Remember phone books? When I was in grade school I could find any given name faster than anybody else. That might not say much for me really, but I think it speaks volumes for lack of materials for the school system to work with! :rofl: (that was in a 1970’s San Francisco phone book too. Johnsons alone must have been three inches thick)

(Jane- Old Inky Crone) #35

Careful what you wish for! I wish I could give you some of mine, at my age (59) I’m getting tired of tucking them into my belt! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Alec) #36

Fasting

(Sue ) #37

Thanks all! I’m not in a huge hurry so I will probably just eliminate things slowly. I think I’m going to try going 14 hours without food tomorrow and see how I do. I don’t care if I average half a pound a week in weight loss, I just want there to be some movement downward!

(Doug) #38

You know her, Carl? This is one of those deals where I’m usually like :smile:

Alcohol shouldn’t be part of the equation unless you’re ok with weeks without loss. For me it was tracking. There’s been times in the last couple years where I THOUGHT I wasn’t eating that much until I saw it, other times I THOUGH I was eating enough and wasn’t even remotely, wound up with a slowed BMR and now still fixing it but tracking is what got the scale moving for me. Gotta see everything from the birdseye view if you want to troubleshoot.

(Carl Keller) #40

I don’t personally know her but her name is Adrienne Osuna. She’s a blogger, mother of four and loves to lift weights. I can’t be certain that the one pound weight loss is totally legit, but I am convinced the two photos are of the same woman and she has drastically changed her body shape.

She’s on instagram, facebook and twitter and there are several articles about her at fitness websites: