What is Burrata? And how is it served?

burrata

Burrata is a fresh cheese, which consists of a fresh mozzarella balloon filled with a fatty, creamy cheese filling. The process in making burrata is a bit involved, so the best thing to do is serve it intact…respect the workmanship of the cheesemaker! I ignore recipes that cut the burrata in pieces…it’s a bit unfortunate, because it ruins the whole point of burrata, because they take away the thrill of piercing the mozzarella balloon and revealing it’s gorgeous cream filling.

Here’s the burrata I found at a local grocery store

The cheesy balloon sits in water. This is what it looks like when you take it out of the container

This is a classical way of serving burrata. Just place it at the center of a dish. Sprinkle fresh ground pepper on top, and drizzle extra virgin olive oil as a ring around the burrata

Here’s another way (which I prefer). Surround the burrata with crispy bacon strips

And now for the big reveal! The best part is when you cut the burrata and take a peek of what’s inside…the soft creamy filling is so delicious

Don’t be shy. Break it apart, cut into bite size pieces, and eat!

A bite of burrata with extra virgin olive oil

A bite of burrata with crispy bacon

ZC What did you eat today?
32 day ZC Variable Protein Test

I’ve never heard of buratta, but it looks delicious! Time to go a huntin’!

Happy hunting!! :wink:

(Danielle) #4

It’s pretty hard to find in Australia but we love it when we can get it. It’s so much better than mozzarella.

(matt ) #5

I had it at a concert of all places. It blew me away!

Those are some great pics! I’m going to serve that to my husband surrounded with bacon. It will totally blow his mind.

(Candace) #7

I love, love, love buratta! I’ve never had it on bacon before lol - I’ve only had it served on toast points - but that is a great way to do it!

(Georgia) #8

Thanks for taking the time to post such interesting information. I’m on a mission to eat new foods that are keto and will have to hunt this down.

(Megan) #9

I just saw this at Kroger today! I didnt buy it even though it was on sale. It looked like two smaller burratta in a container and did not look appetizing.

You found it on sale and didn’t buy it??? :weary:

Noooooooooooooo!!! Waaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!:sob:

They are kept suspended in water, like fresh mozzarella, to keep the skin supple and delicious. Probably why it didn’t look good.

(Megan) #11

Lol! I’m sorry! There were a whole bunch of them in the dairy sale section. If I go back soon, I’ll have to buy them. I only looked because I recognized the name from your post.