What have I lost 8kg of?

(Splotchy) #1

I’ve been slowly losing weight doing lowish carb and this has accelerated with going Keto. My clever scales tell me that since going Keto I have lost 7kg of fat and gained 4kg of muscle. This would suggest I’ve lost 3kg overall. However I’ve lost 11 kg in total. So what I want to know is: what is the additional 8kg of loss? It isn’t bone as that has remained steady. I’m guessing some is water. “Bowel contents” was the suggestion of Mr Splotchy, but c’mon, 8kg? Could someone who understands the science help explain? Or are my clever scales rubbish?

(David Brown) #2

those scales are utter garbage. you can cheat them simply by changing you hydration levels.

4kg of muscle would take 8 months to gain. that’s if you was genetically gifted too.

scales are ok to use but you cant beat body measurements. my wife will buy a pair of pants too small for her from a charity shop and strive to fit in them. once this is achieved she’ll buy another pair.

(Allie) #3

If I trusted my body composition scales I’d be thrilled to lose 3% body fat just by having a bath.

(KFdriscoll%) #4

I have found the weight/%fat scales are not reliable for a one off masurement.
I use the one I have weekly, same time same day. And track the changes over time.

(Splotchy) #5

I take the reading every morning on rising before eating/drinking/exercising. The results are not one-offs but a slow consistent trend. I don’t kid myself they’re perfect, but they’re consistent and I think good for showing what direction I’m going. But I’m still curious about where that8kg is!