What has keto done for you? And others? I need your list!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #64

My teeth are much better too.
I’ve been ketogenic 4 years. The hygienist has no work to do at my 6 month “cleanings”

(What The Fast?!) #65

I know someone who used to get AWFUL cold sores, probably 7-8 times a year, maybe more. Keto has virtually eliminated them - every once in a great while, if he’s under a ton of stress and combines that with little sleep and drinking, water it catches up with him, but for the most part, gone.

For me - significantly improved if not eliminated allergies, from a combo of keto and fasting. I used to have awful allergy attacks, and I mean AWFUL. I couldn’t handle being in someone’s house or car who had a dog or cat without a 30 minute sneeze fest. Now, I’m completely off allergy medicine and it’s extremely rare that I sneeze more than once in a row. (Granted, I’m not running around rubbing my face on cats and dogs.) I have a hypoallergenic dog and we used to bathe him almost every week to keep my allergies at bay WHILE taking Zyrtec 4-5 days a week. Now he gets a bath once a month and no Zyrtec needed.

(Aaron K) #66

@Ajax - how soon after starting keto did you try stopping taking your PPI? I have been taking PPI for years and forgot to take it today… and so far I feel fine. I think I will try stepping myself down off them.

(Trish) #67

No more GERD. Also, apparently, I don’t need to sleep anymore. I’m seeing 3 and 4 a.m. Way more than I care to.

• I wake up in the morning feeling rested as opposed to groggy & heavy.
  • It has given me the motivation & energy to exercise after years of not exercising.
  • No headaches! I had been getting them so often that I started keeping a log to bring to the doctor. As of Day 1 on keto, zero headaches!
  • I have stable energy throughout the day, even when I return home from work after 9pm.
  • I didn’t start keto for weight loss but it helps me maintain a healthy weight, which is very important to me because obesity runs in my family.
  • less brain fog
  • I have a positive outlook and a general optimism about me :slight_smile:
  • I am sleeping a lot better!

Seasonal allergies, acne, asthma. I grew up thinking that these would be life-long conditions for me. Turns out that I just had my diet all wrong!

I need less sleep and I fall asleep more easily (despite drinking ridiculous amounts of espresso).

I don’t crash without food. I used to always have to carry snacks with me everywhere. Now it is NBD if I don’t have any food!

(George) #70

I’ve also experienced most of what has been mentioned. I noticed today that my toe nail fungal which I’ve had for 20 years seems to be clearing up. I’ve tried everything to get rid of it over the years…except Keto!!!
Thanks Keto community

(Brenda Watson) #71

I came for the weight loss, but I’m staying for the health benefits! Fybromyalgia pain- gone! Depression ( on antidepressants for 20 years) improved to the point that I’m weaning off meds ( only take 2x week now) sleep has gone from an average of 4 -5 hours a night to 8, and I have not had an afternoon nap in months!! And this is the most unexpected one…improved dental health… my hygienist couldn’t believe how much less tarter I had, my cleaning took less than 20 mins! Oh and Ive lost 32 lbs in 4 months… now maintaining at a comfortable 145lb :hugs:

(Daryl G Jackson ) #72

Update on my posts. I last weighed 184, a 21 pound loss. My bio numbers are screwy but I was told it’s to be expected. However, August 7th, 2017 my A1C was 5.9, as of February 12, 2018 my A1C is now 5.0!

This is a quote from my earlier post at Keto=4 weeks.
I have evidence to reinforce this point on very soft skin, now at Keto=3.5 months.
Having tests overnight in hospital, I had EEG, ECG/EKG sensors stuck to my torso, head, neck, and face. Plus movement sensors stuck to my legs.
They wouldnt stay on because my skin was so soft!! Lol. The doctors had to keep using stronger and stronger methods to get them to stay. Stronger paste, more sticky patches, harder pressure etc. Eventually I wondered - OMG it’s my Keto-soft-skin!!! I was too embarrassed to mention it to them :laughing:

Eventually (after 4 hours!) they got them all to stay put so it worked out fine.
Just unexpected reinforcement of how silky soft and smooth the skin can get on Keto. I had these tests a few years ago and nothing like this happened.

Yay, we can all have a future career in skin modelling or somesuch :laughing:

Happy Keto-Ing all!
Xo

(Michele) #74

Was just saying on the Keto Complaint thread :joy: that I haven’t been using all the face creams I have sitting there because my skin doesn’t seem to need them. In addition my facial skin looks less wrinkled (not that it was very wrinkled before).

(Karen) #75

Here’s a strange improvement. My balance is seriously better. It might be due to the weight loss, but I think not. I have to step up on this scale at weigh and win and I have to turn around to face the camera and I wish they had a bar to grab I was so unbalanced. Now I’m not! Another Vintage lady mentioned it too. Better Balance!

K

(Rosemary Easter) #76

When I went to the dentist in November, he commented that my teeth hardly needed cleaning and what had I been doing? So I told him I had given up eating sugar. Well, yes, he said, that will do it. So why aren’t there big posters in the waiting room about it instead of how to get a whitening procedure? It’s ok, I know it’s all about the money.

I’m 44, was on Keto for 8 months, lost 40lbs, went off the rails for 6 months gained 20, been back on keto since the new year, lost 15lbs. The thing I notice the most while being on a ketogenic diet is all my chronic aches and pains are gone. I’ve had back surgery, my back hardly ever bothers me anymore.

(Beverly) #78

• reversed my type 2 diabetes
• significant weight loss of 50lbs (22.3kg)
• got rid of my dark underarms
• no more skin tags
• no more cracked skin on my heels
• reduced swelling in my face (especially my nose), feet, and hands
• reduced my hyperhydrosis
• improved my hormonal acne
• my most favorite improvement of all: no more tender breasts when I PMS

(Empress of the Unexpected) #79

How long did it take to get rid of the skin tags? I’ve heard other people mention the same thing.

(Beverly) #80

Honestly, I didn’t notice until I was 30 pounds down. It could have been sooner than that but I wasn’t checking for the skin tags until they had all magically disappeared!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #81

So happy for all your success!

(Herma) #82

Asthma gone. That happened immediately after I stopped eating grains. I think it was a wheat allergy.

(Jason Christianson) #83

I’ve been doing keto for a relatively short time. Between fasting and keto I’ve lost 54 lbs and gotten off all my diabetes meds. My BG numbers were in the 200’s and 300’s while on meds before starting.
Also, I’ve got some messed up joints from years of karate in my feet that gave me daily pain. I have no pain when keto. Interestingly, when I come out of ketosis the pain comes back. Something about ketosis seems to keep the inflammation in those joints down.