What has keto done for you? And others? I need your list!

(Duncan Kerridge) #43

Just over a year now, I started noticing changes with my eyes after six months or so.

(Andrew Anderson) #44

Reactive Hypoglycemia is now in control. My blood sugar used to crash. I had to eat all the time or I would feel low. When I took the glucose tolerance test I dropped to 44. Now I can fast for 50hrs and my BG is in the 90s.

(Janet) #45

DietDoctorā€™s Health list is a good place to start. Even more benefits have been reported here.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #46

@richard, you are a miracle. It is utterly amazing how the body can heal itself if we just eat right.

(Ron Mc Curley) #47

@richard How long did it or does take to turn around a fatty liver.

(Richard Morris) #48

I have an CT in 2011 where the radiologist identified that I have apparent fatty infiltration consistent with Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (fatty liver disease) ā€¦ this is what I looked like on the outside. Anyway thatā€™s a good sign that you canā€™t really tell on the outside but I had a time bomb ticking in my liver and all I needed was a push to go over the edge Spoiler: it was statins.

[ btw images are from http://easylocarb.com/statin-heart-attack/ which is an interesting story of how a statin made me sicker ā€¦ it will be alleged ]

This image is pretty close to when I went keto in 2014 - me on the right (my less metabolically deranged brother on the left)

I have a second MRI in 2016 where the radiologist noted that I had been apparently misdiagnosed in his notes because they say I had type 2 diabetres and Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and according to him there is no sign of steatohepatitis in my MRI.

This image is close to when that MRI was taken

I am about the same weight today as I was in that photo but I have put more muscle on (especially in my legs) and taken some more visceral fat off.

(Ron Mc Curley) #49

Mate, thanks for your story, it has encouraged me for my journey into Keto and better health.
I look forward to your podcast and more encouragement.
Cheers mate.

In addition to some things mentioned in previous posts, is:

time-saving & money-saving - these benefits really kicked around month 4 when I started intermittent fasting!

increased focus on work projects without distracting strong hunger pains and blood sugar crashes

bags of salt nā€™ vinegar potato chips have no power over me, and I no longer crave oatmeal stout to go with them for B vitamins since taking Liver capsulesā€¦

a radiant, bright-eyed face and alert mind upon rising most days, whereas before keto the radiance was mostly dependent on groggy morning meditation and spinal flexion to fully wake me up :smiley:

and last but not least, a frivolous but fun impact I noticed at month 7: longer and more abundant eyelashes :smiley:

(Ron Mc Curley) #51

@SlowBurnMary
Canā€™t wait for longer eyelashes but will my wife get jealous :hugs::hugs:

Hahahaaaa enjoy!

(Steve Leverton) #53

HAPPINESS!

When on that energised, happy-fuelled keto-high nothing can bring me down.

(Richard Morris) #54

Forgot that I didnā€™t specifically answer that question - it appears to have taken me at the most 5 years ā€¦ but I suspect I had WORSE fatty liver when I started Keto in 2014 than I did when I had the first MRI in 2011. So I suspect itā€™s more like 2 years of Keto.

(Ron Mc Curley) #55

@richard Thanks
Just been watching a video about fatty liver, more leafy greens, eggs and apple cider vinegar to go in to my daily diet.

(Daryl G Jackson ) #56

Keto has helped me break a plateau and on may way to my goal weight, I am at 190 or less, as I have not scaled in 4 days, and my goal weight is 165. I hope to have a normal A1C and lower triglycerides my next doctors visit in February 2018. There are downsides, a gout attack, a lot of urinating. But I am not missing carbs, we have made oopsie bread which I like but my wife does not, I made Fathead pizza and it was FANTASTIC! I found some great pizza sauce with only 1 carb per 2 tablespoons. I like meat and potatoes also, but I find that dressing up cauliflower replaced my potato urges. I have never been a fry guy so mashed cauliflower with butter, cream and salt is just AWESOME! If anyone wants to do keto they should expect to contract themselves for 12 full weeks. I started December 5th 2017 and made it easily through the holidays and everything is great! My wife and sister are all in, some family and friends are waiting for results I suppose, and they are going to freak when they see us in a month or 2. Our next get together is in April and we all will be a lot healthier looking for sure.

(Rosemary Easter) #57

My right knee has been painful and swollen for several years and every winter it gets worse and I think about getting a replacement knee. Have been on keto diet just over 2 months, my knee is completely normal now.

(Michele) #58

My plantar fasciitis seems to be negligible. Blood pressure also gone down.

(Michele) #59

I can sit in a movie theatre surrounded by hot popcorn and be calm and not salivate! I can shop at the supermarket and not feel regretful, torn or tempted when I pass previously consumed treat food. I can exercise in a fasted state - today almost two hours of which at least 35 to 40 minutes was hill climbing.

(Rosemary Easter) #60

Adding to the above - I have had an arthritic joint on my right big toe for years and although in itself not painful, because it grows outward it makes wearing shoes etc. very uncomfortable and sometimes painful. It has now got so much smaller that my footwear is actually very roomy around it. I was under the impression that once a joint gets deformed there is not much you can do about it!

(Michele) #62

Not sure if this has been mentioned - I notice that my teeth feel cleaner. They donā€™t seem to get the furry build up. I guess it shouldnā€™t be a surprise as a diet with minimal non-nutritional carbs especially sugar isnā€™t going to feed those bacteria in the mouth responsible for furry build up. Thank you keto - hopefully a lower dental bill in the long run.

(Sarah ) #63

Moods, focus, general sense of well being, calm