What has keto done for you? And others? I need your list!

(Shelley Johnson) #21

I’m going off Wellbutrin!! I’ve been on this antidepressant for 20+ YEARS— I’m doing it under Dr. Supervision but that doesn’t say much. My doc wants me on a statin— I digress.

I also had this little flare up thing/ small flaky patch on my face that is completely healed!

I’ve also lost 65 lbs since February 2017!!

I feel like I’m seeing color for the first time and—so, so much more!!

But dropping the antidepressants and the weight loss… I just couldn’t be happier!!

(Michele) #22

My husbands psoriasis has improved significantly in the last 3.5 months. In addition he doesn’t count his carbs either (whereas I do lol!) We just have cupboards that don’t have any pasta, rice etc non-nutritional carbs.

(Todd Allen) #23

No, I haven’t been interviewed by the 2ketodudes, but if they do a show on keto for neuro diseases I’d enjoy taking part. From what I’ve read in addition to my disease many diseases such as multiple sclerosis, huntington’s, parkinson’s, some flavors of ALS, etc. could likely respond in some degree to a keto diet. I’m hoping to hear from others with diseases experimenting with self treatment through diet and other lifestyle factors. Dr. Terry Wahls’ reversal of progressive MS with a paleo inspired keto diet is probably the best known case, but surely we will be hearing of more and more as the word gets out.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #24

@carl @richard
@brownfat would be an excellent story for 2KetoDudes along with, as he points out, the ketogenic diet’s affect on other neurological diseases

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

Troy Stapleton talks about the remarkable improvement he experienced in his Type I diabetes after going keto (he still has to take insulin, but his blood glucose is much more manageable).

There are researchers who have started calling Alzheimer’s disease Type III diabetes, which makes me wonder if it would be improved by keto.

And don’t forget that drastically reducing carbohydrate consumption can deprive many tumors of the glucose they need in order to grow.

(Richard Morris) #26

I had dinner with Dr Troy Stapleton at the Gold Coast low carb event. He’s a nice guy and very generous sharing what he has learned about Type 1 and a low carb diet.

Interestingly I gave my liver MRIs to a medical expert in the Czech republic over a year ago because he was interested in my before and after keto images. He passed them onto Dr Stapleton just recently.

BTW that is one thing that Keto did for me - it turned my liver from one diagnosed as having fatty infiltration consistent with Fatty liver disease, to one where there is no apparent sign of the disease.

(Bunny) #27

I seen that liver before!

(Jane Reed) #29

Suffered for years with sinus congestion which led to a persistent cough (due to mucous dripping into the back of my throat) and periodic severe headaches. Was diagnosed, after sensitivity tests on my skin, with allergy to pollens. No over-the-counter or prescription medications brought any relief. After a month eating ketogenically my symptoms had almost disappeared.

Funny story…while serving on jury duty, prior to going keto, I had a coughing fit. The prosecuting attorney stood 3 feet from me, while I sat in the first row, as she addressed the jury. It took me at least 2 minutes before I could clear away the ticklish stuff from my throat. I was the star of the show. Sheesh!

(Siobhan) #30

70 lbs melted away over the course of a year and change, which only took patience and eating delicious food - no calorie counting or gnashing of teeth.

My high blood pressure away.
My blood sugar stopped creeping up (not prediabetic but heading towards it) now I have an hbA1C of 4.3

no more joint pain

used to get tired walking less than a mile, now I can walk almost indefinitely without stopping

Used to get cramps that were getting worse every year, now its normal / no pms / regular cycles where they used to be somewhat unpredictable

Depression now much more managable very rare to experience a jag and if I take magnesium it goes away. Used to be every day and severe.

Anxiety is also managable, I approached a bunch of people at ketofest, and while it wasnt easy it’s something I never could have done before!

Used to have rough, painful patches on my skin between my fingers and on my feet and elbows. Now they’re soft and smooth.

My hair used to be dull and frizz city, now it’s soft, shiny, and almost no frizz

Used to have swollen ankles now theyre not - went down 2 shoe sizes bc of this (9 1/2 to 7 1/2)

No more mood swings, mood much more stable in general

no longer eat when Im bored or overeat because of a lack of satiety. Sometimes I stop eating with food still on my plate because I’m just not hungry!

For dad when he stuck with keto:
Less severe and more infrequent (almost gone) angina/chest pain. He had had it for over a decade - nearly gone with a few weeks of keto.

(Melanie Armistead) #31

Psoriatic Arthritis and Exercise-Induced Asthma in remission, off of Humira and Methotrexate
30kg down
CRP from 20s down to 8
Vitamin D levels, white blood cell count and liver tests all normal for the first time
Thinking more clearly
Moods stabilised
Able to exercise without excruciating pain
Have energy
Interested in living again
… and apparently I look younger

Keto has made me lose some weight and actually helped me to eat vegetables. Trust me, if you knew me you would know what that actually means. Mr meat and potato guy, oh and sugar as well.

(Louise ) #33

Managed chronic pain after breaking 11 ribs, 3 thoracic vertebrae, shoulder blade, sternum and 2 punched lungs from a motorcycle accident

(Cassmac) #34

What a fantastic response :slight_smile:

Such an uplifting and motivating thread @Brenda!

My list is small and in some ways minor. But on the other hand, sometimes it’s the little things that can spur you on in life too! So, here they are:

• bloating in tummy that happened almost nightly is simply gone.
    Now I don’t have to wear suitable clothing that will cover my protruding ‘bump’ when it appears later in the day.

Interestingly, the Dr.had just advised me to consider cutting down on fat as a solution. Lol. It turned out that adding fat did the trick!

• hair is softer and shinier. It had been increasingly brittle and dull for years. I just assumed it was age. Now Ive got the hair I had when I was 25!

• skin is really soft. Really really really soft. Even the outside part of the upper arm, near biceps, that always have those little rough bumps :laughing:

• self-esteem has improved by seeing that I could beat my sugar addiction. First time ever! And not a single coffee has had sugar in it since I started Keto. I don’t even want it any more.

• I look forward to eating and food shopping now. This is a big big difference in my life.

• I started baking again. It used to be a big pleasure and pass time for me and I gave it up. Starting Keto has given me back that joy.

The last three are ‘behavioural side effects’ of keto that improved quality of life. ALL of these were a surprise because I am only a few weeks in. None are monumental from a medical perspective. But all monumental in that they’ve helped me be a better, happier me :slightly_smiling_face:

I can only imagine how all of you who have had concrete medical changes must feel!! Congratulations to every single one of you for all your determination xo

(Ron Mc Curley) #36

Guys, you have all amazing results. Thanks for inspiring me to keep doing Keto, just starting on my journey.
Happy New Year from Tamworth Australia.

(Marie Dantoni) #38

I went for a checkup (first one in 40 years) and found out I was overweight, borderline diabetic and had high blood pressure. Consequently, the doctor wanted to put me on metformin and blood pressure meds. I said I would rather try a lifestyle re-do first and started low carb and 19/5. Three months later my weight was down about 20 lbs, my blood pressure was awesome and A1C had dropped out of the danger zone.
Less than 2 weeks in, my arthritis (which I was told there was no cure for) was in remission…bloating gone, digestion improved, and best of all, the endless cravings gave way to satiety and the beginning of a healthy relationship with food.

My eyesight has definitely improved as well as my previously constantly swolen tingling and inflamed left ankle. This is what motivated me as I knew I was on the road to amputation if I made no changes. I can tell when I have had too many carbs as the tingling returns.

(Jesse Driskell) #40

Ive become a straight savage!!!

(Candy Lind) #41

My friend who convinced me to start keto had liver calcification and fatty liver disease; her doc put her on keto diet to heal it.

(Michele) #42

How long have you been keto. I think my eyes are improving too. Want to wait a bit before getting them tested.