What does cheating once a week do to one's body?

I have read about people who do a once a week cheat night. The reasons vary but the most common one is that it supposedly helps drive weight loss. I do not care about that issue here, however I am curious as to what this does to a person in general?

So standard keto diet six days a week, one day eat whatever (usually massively high in carbs). What will this do?

(VLC.MD) #2

It would slow weight loss a great deal, non ?
How are your results ?

I lost all of my weight by constant keto and almost no cheats for nearly a year, so I don’t know. I am just curious in general.

(Ethan) #4

I imagine that if a person’s metabolism is normal and body is insulin sensitive, then there would just be some slow weight loss or days of switching from carb to fat and back. If a person’s metabolism isn’t good, then total disaster.

(Terri) #5

I know this “program” works for some. I tried it. And I found it difficult to get back on keto after the cheat day. The mental/emotional struggle would sabotage my efforts. I would find my self saying…(to myself) just one more [insert cheat food here]. It would often take me days to get back on track. My experience proved it is not the optimal plan for me.

(Khara) #6

These two recently did an experiment sort of in-line with your question. They weren’t pigging out on junk food but did one day a week where they ate several hundred grams of carbs. My take away is it’s not a good idea but you can watch for yourself!

It depends. I’ve cycled in the past with great results but my non keto days weren’t a sugar free for all and I resumed keto immediately and transition very well. For many they don’t transition well, non keto means donuts and pizza in great excess and they often struggle to resume keto so it depends. For most in my observations, it doesn’t go well.

(Ernest) #8

It usually takes anywhere from 1 - 3 days to get back into ketosis. Don’t forget the shitty feeling on the way back into Ketosis.
If you are cheating weekly, do the math. You will be in optimum fat burning mode maybe once a week?

Is it worth?

Went to a wedding on Sunday. For the first time in more than 5 months I had half a piece of cake and a few bites of potato and two drinks of vodka with ice
no mixer. The next day I was exhausted (I was home by 10 from the wedding so not out late). I thought it was the vodka but when I was still exhausted on Tuesday I realized it was the carbs. Was better by Wednesday

(Allie) #10

I feel fine when I cheat and get back into ketosis the next day, but it is VERY rare for me - twice a year, if that (my birthday & his birthday as that’s the only times I do Chinese).

(Duncan Kerridge) #11

Aside from what it may or may not do to your body, mentally it’s saying ‘I can’t quite let go of these foods and will continue to include them as a regular part of my diet / lifestyle’. Not laying down a great foundation for the future.

(jilliangordona) #12

I tried it before and felt like junk, and it caused a cycle of more cheating because I was so much more hungry from eating carbs once a week.

(Jason Fletcher) #13

Cyclical Ketogenic Diet not suggested but you can get info here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_ckd

@Fry I find the idea of cheating is just weird and kind of self-destructive.
Whom are you “cheating?”

Some folks, once fat adapted, can go back into ketosis easily even if they have some carbs (especially close to glycolitc exertion). But “cheat” implies the breaking of a promise or oath, and if not the overload of carbs then that betrayal (of yourself, really) leads down a lousy path.

It also implies that there’s something restrictive and difficult about eating keto (or whatever your best WOE), that you’re somehow a victim of it and that you need to treat yourself to make up for it.

Just - ugh, no, not a good approach. Personally I would stay away from the whole mentality of “cheating” regardless of how many carbs you find you decide to eat or when you eat them.

(VLC.MD) #15

Well said.

Cheating himself out of great results ?

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

I have the same attitude towards cheating as Madeleine stated.

I had over the last year higher carb grams at a meal. As I was fat adapted, I found the next day was not bad. But I was traveling had to just go with the best options available to me. While it felt like a cheating meal, it didn’t affect me adversely.
I am also not a 20 grams per day eater, I eat about 50 grams about half the time, but, the rest is way lower than that. I wanted this to just be my way of eating not another diet. I lost my weight in less than a year and have been maintaining it for over 6 months now. I had no health issues driving my weight loss, just wanted to not have issues tying my shoes and moving around, I lost 35 lbs, starting at keto levels, then climbing the Atkins ladder up to 50 grams, staying at that level and adding in fasting, some IF, some extended fasts. I would not dream of eating higher carbs than I do now. Maybe my higher carb tolerance had something to do with the travel meal not effecting me, but I am not taking any chances. I have worked too long and too hard to betray myself for the sake of bread/pasta/pastries. While climbing the ladder, you back off if you react badly to a carb type. So no grains, beans, pastas or pastries for me, I taught myself that :). .

The only way you can know if it will work for you is to try a meal with higher carbs and see how you go. Good luck with it if you go that route.

@Madeleine

I wasn’t trying to make a philosophical thing about it that would bring up who is being cheated on, whether or not one feels restricted, promises, oaths and so on. I am simply looking to know what the effects of eating enough carbs to knock one out of ketosis once a week are?

Perhaps a different wording would be more to your liking?

How about: “What does carb cycling once a week do to one’s body?”

If we leave the word “cheat” out, then we side step all of the philosophical issues.

(VLC.MD) #18

It sounds quite risky. Risky as in it thwarts all your efforts.
Anyone here do it ? With success ?

@Fry

Generally “cheating” does mean something quite different from carb cycling both in practical terms and in implication/emotional effect. I don’t think it’s just a question of semantics.
But I didn’t mean to dump all that on you! Sorry if I came across too strongly. My frustration wasn’t with you specifically; it’s the whole concept of “cheating” that I think is pretty destructive especially in a society which already has so much moralizing around food choices.

To answer your question above with carb cycling in place of cheating: by now you’ve already heard from lots of folks who have played around with this. From what I’ve seen, when it’s a huge bolus of carbs that you’re not using or about to use for strenuous activity, it doesn’t seem to be great even for folks who are comfortable moving in and out of ketosis. Moving to slightly higher levels of carbs now and then does seem to work fine for some people and actually seems to be ideal for some others - see Leann Vogel, who I think does what she does “carb-ups” several times/week (?? actually I don’t know how often but for her it was a crucial part of making keto work for her the rest of the time).

@Madeleine

No worries and thank you for the information! From what you and everyone else are saying it doesn’t sound like the greatest idea. I had toyed with the idea based on the principle that it would help balance the benefits of keto with some of the muscle building and weight retention (I am at my goal weight and have trouble keeping weight on in keto.) benefits of carbs.