What do folks eat for snacks

(George) #1

I have been sticking to mainly veggies like celery carrots, and green bell peppers, but would like a change.
Any suggestions

(Laurie) #2

I very rarely snack any more. But if I’m still hungry after supper, pork rinds with homemade dip is nice.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Pork rinds, pepperoni, and cheese are my favourites. I also enjoy whole-milk Greek yoghurt, sometimes with heavy (double) cream on it.

I used to eat almonds as snacks, but I don’t particularly enjoy them, these days. And I also used to heat unsweetened chocolate in the microwave and mix it with a bit of artificial sugar and some heavy cream, but these days I just enjoy the chocolate straight from the box. (It took about a year to a year and a half of no sugar for my taste to change enough to make unsweetened chocolate taste okay. It used to be intolerably bitter.)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Snacks? Grazing all day is counter productive. If you’re hungry between meals eat more at meals.

(Scott) #5

I agree @amwassil, I really don’t snack anymore. Sometimes if I really don’t feel like a big meal or time gets in the way I will reach for some pork rinds with sour cream or queso dip…or both.

(Tracy) #6

This is good advice from Michael. But if you have to do it, eat a few macadamia nuts and give your stomach time to tell your brain you aren’t hungry anymore. It takes my stomach 20 minutes to talk to my brain.

(Alex ) #7

pork rinds / scratchings for me too…

While I prefer my snack during my meal, I have nothing against small snacks if there is a good reason for them and if they work (I can’t eat tiny meals, usually so my snacks are super close to a meal - or super tiny like a single rosehip during a nice winter walk).

Almost anything I normally eat can be a snack. A boiled egg, a piece of cheese (cheese whisps if you prefer crunchy. your veggies are crunchy, maybe you do), a piece of smoked pork, fried pork skin (crunchy again…), quark, sour cream, coffee with cream, sometimes (I am rarely in a mood for it) a piece of butter or lard… :smiley: I eat almost anything alone. If plants are fine then nuts, chocolate and just too many possibilities… In the past I had veggies myself (but usually accompanied with cheese), I like to snack on fruits too but it must be a tiny amount or I need to eat properly afterwards. Of course, we should choose according to our taste, goals, knowledge about ourselves… It matters if it’s for joy when I am very full or I am a bit hungry and lunch will be in 20 minutes and I just don’t want to wait… I use more satiating items in the last case and actually, I just start eating my normal food then, an egg or two…

(Susan) #9

This! When I started Keto I did 3 meals a day with no snacking between, with a window of no calories of 12:12 at least, and decreased the meals to 2 soon enough, and increased the IF window over time to the 20:4 that I do now. I have lunch at 1pm and supper at 4:30 and no calories from 5pm until 1pm the next day. It might seem like eek at this point to you; but I did it over a couple of months, and after I was Fat Adapted to the point I am on now =).

Eating some salt, and drinking a lot of water when I am not eating is all I need and I do fine. Your body just needs to rid itself of all the Carbage first and become Fat Adapted =). Snacking causes your body to crave food more and triggers hunger --so if you can eliminate this as soon as you are able to, it will really help you stay on track better.

I wish you all the best in your continuing Keto journey =).

Protein Sludge. Whey protein mixed with JUST enough water or almond milk to turn in into mud, frozen blueberries which will give it an ice cream consistency. Then I either thrown some whipped cream on it and sometimes lilys chocolate chips. AWESOME!

Tons of recipes on youtube for it. Almost as good as icecream. I get 1/3rd of my protein in that way.

(Polly) #11

Like so many others here, I really don’t feel the need to snack these days.

The advice to eat no more than three times a day is good advice. If weightloss and health gain are your goals then the best plan is to avoid spiking your insulin. The more often you put food in your mouth the more often you will be likely to have an insulin spike. So three meals a day is OK, but two meals is better. If you are hungry eat bigger meals.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

My opinion about snacking between meals for what it’s worth. Depends a lot on how you define ‘snack’ and ‘meal’. A lot also depends on what exactly you’re trying to accomplish.

If you’re trying to lose excess weight/fat, for example, then you want to keep insulin at a low level as much as possible during the day so that fat is able to exit adipose tissues to be utilized for energy. The optimal way to accomplish this is not to keep stimulating insulin multiple times per day. This is why lots of folks with a lot of fat to lose end up doing IF in conjunction with OMAD or TMAD - and no eating between.

On the other hand, if you’re in maintenance and/or working on body comp and/or lean mass building, it’s probably not a big deal as long as you don’t eat carbs during the ‘snacks’ since I suspect no one weighs or measures ‘just a small snack’. It’s like my wife after shopping at a ‘Dollar Store’. “How did it cost so much, everything was only a dollar?”

If you’re going to eat something between regular meals my primary suggestion is to suck on a chunk of cacao butter (aka cocoa butter). Will have a next to nil effect on insulin and will ‘fill’ you quickly.

I think snacking as a ‘thing’ originated eating SAD simply because with high carb ‘meals’ you’re only going to get a couple hours between feeling ‘full’ and ‘hungry’ again once insulin packs away some of the excess glucose you ate at the last ‘meal’. There’s also a lot of habit involved. You get hungry because it’s time to eat again. When I was a child during the 50s, snacking was unusual. We ate breakfast, lunch and supper. And many days ‘lunch’ was little more than most people now think of as a ‘snack’. It wasn’t a carb restricted diet, but we ate lots more fat and protein. The carbs were mostly fruit and veggies, with an occasional Oreo or ice cream. Not like now with people grazing all day nonstop.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #13

At some point I am going to try making ice cream out of my keto coffee ‘mix’ (scaled up). It tastes great without the coffee. :heart_eyes:

(Bob M) #14

I don’t snack but if I’m hungry after dinner, I usually eat high protein, low fat, like ham. Sometimes hard boiled eggs if I have them.

I can also eat some ricotta cheese, high quality chocolate, cacao butter, and sometimes coconut flakes (unsweetened) in a bowl.

I used to eat some of the higher fat meats like soprasseta, pepperoni, etc. I still eat those sometimes, but usually like lower fat meats better.

I don’t snack but when I’m missing things like appetizers and finger foods (all keto of course) I make a meal of my favourite keto appetizers and it feels and tastes so luxurious that I never miss not eating at other times.

(Allie) #16

I don’t snack. If I’m hungry I eat a meal.

(Jill F.) #17

I found some Ratio brand snack bars I like. I just resumed keto about 2 weeks ago and I am still struggling to not snack so if I do I am eating one of these with a teaspoon of peanut butter on it.

I also snack on pork rinds, pickles, celery with cream cheese and everything but bagle seasoning. Or string cheese and lunch meat.

I hope some of that helps, I know logically we aren’t supposed to snack between meals, but my logic is snacking on keto foods is better than diving into potato chips!

(Ken) #18

If trying to lose fat and using OMAD, if I get hungry before my meal I try to make my snack as low calorie as possible.

A couple of forkfulls of Sauerkraut, Kimchi, or pickeled veggies or a nice Dill Pickle always does the trick.

(Troy) #19

Iced Americano or a Nitro Cold Brew …everyday :grinning:

(UsedToBeT2D) #20

Nothing. No snacks. Eat more at your meal.