What did you learn today?

What about the GMOs used in medicine? Without them we wouldn’t have vaccines or injectible insulin. As far as I’m concerned, GMOs are neutral, they can be used for benefit or for (mostly unintentional) harm, it’s how they’re utilized.

(Ellen) #1247

That sucks, hope you feel better soon Heather.

(Heather Meyer) #1248

Thanks Ellen…i think i will feel much better when I am off the meds. Somtimes i wonder if antibiotics actually make me feel sicker than the problem thats making me have to take them…

Good point! I will say my mind was focused more toward agricultural based GMOs, when I asked the question.

(KCKO, KCFO) #1250

Selective breeding is one thing, but GMO, is putting something alien into the DNA, from some other thing. The newest thing is CRISPR, editing of genes, they cut and modify what is within the speciman, not adding anything alien to it. https://geneticliteracyproject.org/category/gene-editing/

I choose not to eat GMO but today you are hard pressed to find anything to eat that hasn’t been selectively breed over the centuries. I’m ok with most of those.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #1251

Today I learned Im a [spoiler]fucking clumsy asshole[/spoiler] that spills 1/4 of their bone broth that took 30 hours to make, all over the floor and inside of the fridge.

Who needs to go to bed on a work night, when they can be scrubbing greasy, collageny bone broth all over the floor and appliances. [Spoiler]:fu: :fu: :fu:[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Motherfucking bone broth[/spoiler] :tired_face:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #1253

So done. Thank GOD my husband was asleep, because if he witnessed that, hed lose his mind. He hates the smell to the point of nausea. If he knew I just dumped it all over everything, hed have a panic attack.

(Heather Meyer) #1254

Today i learned if you have gone 7 days without pooping, you are guarenteed to go if you eat enough sugar free chocolate…and i learned that my husband could probably blow up our house with the light of one match, thanks to the gas coming out the back end… aI think i might need a muffler!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1255

I made an off hand remark about Samuel Johnson in another thread, but then thought, you know, I don’t really know that much about him. So I’ve been doing some reading.

He was far less of a prescriptivist than I thought. He wanted to impose order on the Engilsh language (which it did need,) but acknolwledged the futility and took a more descriptivist path. Maybe some of the issues I have with his influence on the language are more the fault of people taking his word as law, which was not the intention. Not that he wouldn’t have loved that.

So what I’ve learned today is that the situation is more nuanced than I knew. It’s almost like he was a real person with a complex personality. Crazy!

Also, he married a woman 20 years older because he wanted a wife who was not only attractive to him, but, get this, smart and educated!

(Running from stupidity) #1256

WEIRDO

Men… :roll_eyes:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #1258

I like Johnson’s definition of the word ‘lexicographer’: “A harmless drudge.” :grin:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1259

This is why he is growing on me so much. Wisdom + humor = Awesome!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1260

Samuel Johnson keto quote:

“Round numbers are always false.”

(KCKO, KCFO) #1261

I learned where I had read about statins only extending your mortality by days. Here is the link it is a Scottish Dr.s’ blog, not someone posting what they think, he reviewed research to reach his conclusion you might live up to 17 days longer.

(Doug) #1262

:smile::smile: Well damn - let’s go get us a whole bunch of statins… :stuck_out_tongue:

(Running from stupidity) #1263

And then we could form a cult and live on Statin Island with the ferris wheels…

(Ellen) #1264

My Mum is still not great on what carbs are… will re-gift this so can at least see what it looks like.

Because I recently had to purchase a new loofa and Wal-Mart decided freaking sponges needed to be gendered too, because blue is manly or something.