What did you learn today?

(Little Miss Scare-All) #1226

It also doesnt automatically mean non-harmful either.

(Running from stupidity) #1227

Yeah, but that’s a completely different statement.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #1228

What are your thoughts on why or when genetically modified things are good? Honest curiosity.

(Alec) #1229

Paul
I read the same. Any ideas on the mechanism? This is real for me, I am definitely IR, and I also exercise a lot.
Cheers
Alec

(Running from stupidity) #1230

That, like most things, it’s a spectrum. Like “all carbs are bad.”

(Karim Wassef) #1231

All carbs are bad… just different levels of bad… :slight_smile:

(Heather Meyer) #1232

Ive learned that Antibiotics make you feel like ypu have been run over by a Mack truck while putting your head in a vice grip and pouring cement in your legs making it near impossible to get out of bed to do anything remotely enjoyable…
#netflixforthewin

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #1233

The way I heard it, first there’s the clearance of glucose and glycogen. Then there’s improved mitochondrial health, more new mitiochondria, and therefore increased metabolism. Excercise that is sufficiently stressful on the muscle also promotes the formation of new muscle cells, leading to even more mitochondria and more metabolism.

Though I’ve never seen a reference to a study. This might all just be somebody’s best guess.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #1234

Dont forget to take a good quality Flora after thr antis, because thr antibiotics have the tendencedy to depopulate both good and bad bacteria in the gut.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #1235

Today while looking up “living with chemo induced menopause” I learned that during menopause you lose that nesting thing that pregnant women do (and that I did monthly before a period, which is how I kept a clean house). And as I looked around at what I can only describe as a college dorm room I vowed to do a better job of picking up after myself.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #1236

Interesting - I only had the nesting thing during pregnancy. Before pregnancy I was working full time and didn’t really give a rat’s ass about the house. Off work the last few weeks, I cleaned like crazy. Guess I was still nesting after the birth cause then I started redecorating the house. I had a friend with breast cancer that was always really house-involved. After chemo, she was so joyful to be in remission, that she became a life coach, and left the housework to her husband and two sons. Other than the pregnancy gig, I have never been a housewife…

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #1237

The pregnancy gig. I like it.

I have never been a housewife either because none of my attempts at housegirlfriend ever lasted long enough. I’m super cool with it now, though!

(Alec) #1238

Thanks Paul. Sounds logical, but as we know, logical ain’t always correct. But a plausible mechanism.

Maybe not “poison”, but what GMO’s are beneficial?

All carbs are non-essential.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #1240

I consider all plants that modern humans eat to have been modified, this modification has had benefits.

GMO is simply an extension of plant modification at the DNA level.

Good or bad altering plants is what has created our current level of technology.

Yeah, but for what reasons are they altering plants at the DNA level?

(Running from stupidity) #1242

Because we always have. That’s what breeding for results does, and it’s been done forever.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #1243

Well it started by trying to make a more viable plant, currently it is being used to create more products like pesticides so they have a monopoly on what the farmer buys.

(Diane) #1244

They want to make plants disease resistant, bug resistant, drought resistant … to improve harvests, to feed more people more economically, etc.

That didn’t answer my question. “For what reasons”?

It seems to me that a majority of current genetic modification is based on developing a more robust crop. So we can grow more plants.

But is this a good thing?

One thing we’ve learned with keto, is that a diet based on animal protein and fat is healthier, than a plant based diet.

So back to my original question, what GMO’s are beneficial, if most genetic modification is for the purpose of making more robust, resistant everything, higher yielding crops?

I just listened to an episode of the Diet Doctor podcast, with Peter Ballerstedt. I found it fascinating, and I encourage everyone here to listen to it.

Here’s a short bit from the transcript:

Bret: And the majority of the food waste is from the plant side, not from the animal side as well.

Peter: Indeed, that’s in fact an inconvenient truth to use a phrase. Also at the same time they’re projecting this increase of 66% in the demand for animal protein worldwide, but that’s all based on their assumption of what the proper human diet ought to be.

Bret: Right and then because of that you see publications in Nature recently, in Guardian, in the landmark UN report, that all say we need to convert more of our beef production over to a plant-based agriculture for sustainment of enough food for the world and health for the world. But that makes quite a few assumptions, doesn’t it?

Peter: Right it conflates cropland with farmland or agricultural land. So the land that we can grow crops on is a small portion of the farmland in the world because relatively small percentage of the earth’s surface is suitable for cultivation, about 4%. Unfortunately, that’s land that we’re degrading. It’s also land that we’re building cities and suburbs on, and so we’re losing that at a frightening rate.

But we have almost a quarter of the earth’s surface and I’m including the oceans in that, which is classed as rangeland, which is long-term pasture, should not be cultivated when you do think dust ball. Then we have forest land making up another significant chunk that we put it together we come up with almost a quarter.

We can raise ruminant animals in agroforestry systems. We can raise trees, grass and animals on the same ground, and we can even then do that in rotation with crops. So we can plant trees in rows and in between, in large spaces in the middle, we can then have grass growing, raise animals on that and then maybe we can come back in and plant soybeans or corn or something else for a period of time, then go back into grass as the trees continue to grow.

What I’m getting at is I don’t know if today’s genetic modification is safe or not. What they’re doing today is not the same as plant hybridization of years gone by. But ALL arguments aside, even if it is safe, is it beneficial, or are we just propagating the status quo?