What did you learn today?

(Laurie) #1186

Well of course! Cold pizza, breakfast of champions.

(Running from stupidity) #1187

Champion WHATS, though? That’s the question.

(Jane) #1188

I’ve learned that the buildings at my company are not climate-controlled - only rooms. Like the conference room, cantina, offices, etc. But walking in between it is very cold.

Not sure if that is typical - maybe @Ruina can chime in.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1189

Down south where I am, no buildings are climate controlled at all. If the landlord want’s to install an AC that also heats, that is up to them (they don’t work great.) In homes we use space heaters and electric mattress toppers. Everyone wears their coats inside and out in the winter.

The parallel just above Shanghai is the cutoff for where indoor heating is provided. Down south it isn’t too bad, but I’ve heard tales from Shanghai of some pretty brutal winter conditions inside your apartment. Especially if you only have hot water in the shower, not the sinks. I’m fortunate to have hot water at my kitchen tap in this place.

The above is true for businesses as well as homes.

(Jane) #1190

Thanks. I am just south of Shanghai and it’s been cold, but not brutal this week. At least this plant has western toilets, unlike our other one where you have to squat over a hole in the floor.

I don’t mind the squatting and standing up since I’ve lost weight, but I am not real coordinated in keeping my jeans or slacks out of the way. :open_mouth:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #1191

If your pants are loose legged, it is best to roll them up before going in. With practice you can pull the legs up while pulling them down, but big cuffs do the trick without ninja level bathroom skills. Skinny jeans are easier to manage.

(Laurie) #1192

Beer drinkers.

(Diane) #1193

Thanks to a propitious use of schadenfreude by @JohnH, I have finally looked it up and know this:

(KCKO, KCFO) #1194

PaulL, so agree. There is a restaurant near us and the food is really good, they make adjustments for me without complaining at all, but the noise level is so bad, even with the headset on, I can not abide eating there again.

(Heather Meyer) #1195

I hate scales and tape measures!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1196

Might not be anything but then again: a local manager of an upscale grocery chain store was overhead telling some of his friends: “We were surprised for valentines how small the desert sales were.” This from a data driven grocery store.

(Diane) #1197

We can always hope it’s a trend! Money matters in dictating what is available to us.

(Running from stupidity) #1198

It’s possibly my favourite word ever.

(I know that means some of you are hoping they take it away…)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #1199

One of my favorites is Glaubensbewegung.

(Doug) #1200

I always liked “orchestra” - not the most outstanding word in many ways, but from an early age I was impressed with how many other words you can make from the letters in it.

(Diane) #1201

Made me look. And really?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #1202

I just like the sound of it.

Oh, I forgot to mention oesterreichiches, another lovely-sounding word.

I learned that McDonald’s menus overseas look amazing (especially you, McDonalds India). Also some places have double versions of things we don’t even offer (the double Big Mac) and yet we have the reputation of being the fatties? How come our trash restaurants have better options overseas? I demand some cultural-exchange.

(Running from stupidity) #1204

I think it’s the fatness that does it.

C’mon, everyone has something to say about American portion sizes, but Canada has the Double Big Mac on the menu?