What did you learn today?

(Karen) #545

Having been a thin person for at least 20 of years of my life., And I mean seriously thin, I know that you do draw some attention. I was naturally thin and not Metabolically deranged. And I could not gain weight. And I didn’t like being so thin.
But I never felt bullied, and I’ve never seen it happen. FYI I was 108 pounds and 5 foot eight. Pretty dang thin. But this site isn’t really really for thin folk, unless you’re meyabolically deranged. If that’s the case let us help you! And welcome

(Running from stupidity) #546

I have to say, I don’t really recall actually learning anything of use from a FB forum about anything. They can be helpful - when I was moving out of Canon that was how I sold most of my photo gear - but not all that useful for anything else.

:roll_eyes:

Same here but some folks do bang on about it as if it’s rife.

(Doug) #548

I’m thinking that being thin means more chance of at least mean-spirited comments for women, versus men. When we’re kids, skinny guys might suffer since having big muscles is a thing in school, but as adults I’ve never noticed it. Being really short is definitely still a deal, however.

As adults, thin women are fairly often targeted for having small breasts, to be frank and in my opinion. I’ve seen a substantial number of remarks characterizing a woman as “a rack of bones,” for example, at times from men but most often from other women, many of whom are at least subconsciously jealous.

However, even as we note some degree of negativity toward being thin, thin-shaming isn’t nearly as pervasive nor as vitriolic as fat-shaming is.

I’ve copped a fair bit of that - usually from people who didn’t like me for some other reason :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s it in a nutshell :slightly_smiling_face:

(Running from stupidity) #550

Is that even possible?

Mind boggling isn’t it :rofl:

(Ellen) #552

Some people don’t understand basic chemistry; finished off the jar of pickled onions Mum made me for xmas, left jar on counter to pour vinegar down outside drain, housemate decided to be “thoughtful” and poured down the sink, then added bleach to try & get rid of the smell, then frantically banged on bathroom door due to even worse smell. Conclusion; it’s easy to make chlorine gas & house is freezing as all windows & doors now open. Hoping she’ll remember this

(Running from stupidity) #553

Well, it’s ONE possible conclusion to her actions…

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #554

People have died doing similar said the x chemist.

(Ellen) #555

I may have omitted to mention the somewhat restrained shouting, even though I know a very good barrister didn’t think violence was the best idea (was more focused on airing the house out).

(Ellen) #556

Yep, it would be fair to say am not happy at mo, I’m certain this is (or at least was when I was at school) basic stuff. Hopefully won’t die tonight!

Surely not too much to ask :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

(Ellen) #558

@daddyoh, all doors & windows open and am running hot water in sink, anything else I can do?

(Ellen) #559

IKR? When I go I want to have had a fab steak (currently fasting) & just finished a good book.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #560

Perhaps a little baking soda to help neutralize the vinegar? Of course, the resulting expansion of the carbon dioxide gas produced might have its own effects . . . :grin:

Indeed. I’m not scared of dying per se but of dying while I scrub the loo or somesuch :laughing:

(Ellen) #562

Excess CO2 and possible explosions, yeah that would be much better :wink: Am sure landlord would be fine with me saying I exploded the sink to get rid of the CI2 (can’t figure out how make the numbers lower).

(Ellen) #563

Yeah that would be taking the piss (see what I did there??)

(Doug) #564

Cl₂ @Ellen, the Discourse software gives us no option that I see. Alt + 8322 is supposed to do it on Windows computers, but doing it in the reply box here gives me an “e” with an accent: Clé. I made a new document in ‘Wordpad’ on my computer and copied it, and then Discourse does take it.