What did you learn today?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #525

My poor boss has ALL the alerts set now, she doesn’t even keep a card connected to her accounts, she only keeps a credit card because when it gets hacked it’s not actually her money and the credit card company has to deal with it. She gets an alert when they charge $1 to see if it’s a working account and then she has to cancel and get a new one. She’s a business owner and this is her fourth card since summer. I feel really terrible for you guys.

One benefit of being poor with terrible credit is that nobody wants your identity!

(Doug) #526

And I bet it wasn’t even keto…

(Doug) #527

There was a blip up, there, on one thread and there are always cycles of strife going on, but it’s still very limited on this forum, like a range of 0.5 to 1, on a scale of zero to 10.

(Garry (Canada)) #528

I agree.

(Running from stupidity) #529

You people still use signing, right?

Are you moving to NFC chips, or something?

Sorry, my knowledge of historical practices is limited, we’ve had NFC for over a decade now.

(KCKO, KCFO) #530

I learned that the restaurant at the golf course near us has a wonderful Sunday Brunch deal, any of the meals they offer plus coffee and tea for $10. They also have the best views of the Rocky Mountains in town. I had smoked salmon with avocado benedict, just didn’t eat the side potatoes nor the English muffin bottoms, it was really good. I’ll be going back there.

We walked the golf cart train for a little bit too to admire the views even more. All this was how I broke my 88 hr. fast.

Yeah, I wasn’t able to react with, “Oh, well at least they put it to good use buying $400 of bacon!” – it was things like $400 in taco places, $250 in KFC (how can you even order that much there?) etc.

Reluctantly, but back home in the UK it was really good even ten years ago, chip and pin and all that.

Over here in Cascadia it’s been a slow transition but a few years back things started kicking into gear. All my cards now have a chip (although evidently that hasn’t fully stopped things in its tracks). It’s up to each individual store to migrate to a chip reader though. I still come across places that haven’t upgraded yet (I think they’re on the hook if there’s any fraud, I can’t recall, but that’s why most have now migrated) and they do dumb things like sellotaping over the slot you’d insert your card and adding a label “SWIPE ONLY”. Regardless of swipe or insert, you still have to sign (either the printed receipt or often, the screen itself) but nobody ever checks and gives a crap.

NFC is becoming a bit more available here and I always use it whenever it’s an option, Google Pay is really good.

There’s still ways of doing things here that I’m not used to: for example, when I eat out and the bill lands on your table. I seem to recall most restaurants in the UK would bring the card reader to your table and you’d pay that way without ever letting go of your card. In the US I’ve come across a handful of places that do that – Fogo de Chão brings a portable reader to your table, and some places have had a full tablet on the table letting you pay (and buy silly games, order more food etc). 99.9% of places though just whisk my card away out of sight and take payment that way. It always makes me feel uneasy.

(Running from stupidity) #533

Yeah, that was the stick - the weak link got whacked if there were issues.

Regardless of swipe or insert, you still have to sign

wow

Google Pay is really good.

Yeah, I just wave my phone at the reader for everything.

in the UK would bring the card reader to your table and you’d pay that way without ever letting go of your card.

same

99.9% of places though just whisk my card away out of sight and take payment that way. It always makes me feel uneasy.

As you should, it’s as stupid and archaic and as full of extraordinarily obvious dangers as it sounds.

(Running from stupidity) #534

(Troy) #535

Today — that there are so many fun activities and things to do at the local community center/library for seniors. I’m trying to help out my parents.
Classes of all sorts, social events, crafts, exercise themed , getaways.etc…
The majority are free😄

Maybe it’s just me now-cringe
Never thought the day would come to this
I want to partake as well😳

(Running from stupidity) #536

You need a fake ID.

(Troy) #537

:rofl:
Yeah…I “ think “ I had a couple before
Back in the day
“ oh you are are from Connecticut…yeah I’m just on College vacation here in California “
I’m just saying , I think I had one b4🙂

(Running from stupidity) #538

Having spent a couple of hours researching the costs of sausage-making, I think it’s going to remain an nice idea rather than a reality, given the quality and price of the sausages I can get at the markets.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #539

Sing it, sister!

I learned what “lagniappe” means.

Thanks @goohsmom!

(Karen) #541

My mom lives in a graduated care facility it’s beautiful. Meals are really good. They have lots of activities that are provided by the residents and community as a whole. They have A putting green, a pool and workout room, their own post office, and 5 restaurants to choose from. It’s not more $ than living where I live right now only smaller. I don’t care about living in a small place but I think it would be fun to do all those activities and be surrounded be hundred of possible friends. DH would never do this.

Sadly I’m actually just old enough to move there.

(Ellen) #542

And now, so have I :smiley: Love learning new words, thanks @goohsmom and @dlc96_darren

I learned that skinny people honestly think they have it just as bad as overweight people in terms of being the target of bullying and discrimination, and that pointing out that, in fact, they do not, will get you muted on the FB forum.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #544

You, madam, are a trouble-maker. No wonder you fit in so well, here . . . :grin: