What did you learn today?

(Karen) #505

Reminds me of my mother. She used to do a lot of handsewing and had those little strawberries and tomatoes to put the pins in the strawberry had something to clean needles I don’t know what was inside

(Karen) #506

I learned to keep my mouth shut. I was at Bible study this evening in there was a long discussion about someone’s high cholesterol and someone else’s family history of heart attacks. The one lady had been advised by her doctor and nutritionist that she should move towards vegan or at least vegetarian and cut out all red meats and have no more than lean chicken breast. She’d already dropped cheese out of her life. The other lady who is a PescaTerrian Was going on and on about saturated fats and red meat like ribeye clogging your arteries. Was sort of like watching a train wreck mesmerizing, terrifying, and feeling like you couldn’t do much about it in polite company.

(Jane) #507

I still use my tomato pin cushion! I think it must be 40-50 years old. Still works unlike a butt-load of electronics and what-not over the years.

(Jane) #508

I learned after browsing an antique shop that I had quite the collection of cast iron and Corning wear bowls I inherited that are now considered “antiques”
:rofl:

(Jane) #509

I had the tomato/strawberry pin cushion years ago and never knew what the strawberry was for. It just dangled on a string from the top of the tomato pin cushion. But my sweet Mom couldn’t sew on a button and my Grandma was miles away so I had nobody to explain such esoteric knowledge to me!

Well since the fecking software won’t allow a 4th reply in a row to a topic I will append my 4th response here. Unrelated to my post but the rules force this.

This is in response to @Keto6468 about her Bible study comments…
Nope. Smiling and nodding were your best options. And saying a silent prayer of thanks that you know better.

(Running from stupidity) #510

We really are different people…

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #511

I believe it is sand, it is for sharpening the needle.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #512

More likely resin. But yes, it helps keep the needle sharp and rust-free.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #513

30,years ago at least one of them had sand in it at one point. :flushed:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #514

Ok, I just checked online and it is emery in the strawberry. As in emery board.

So very specific sand. Also, @PaulL and @Keto6468 are right, it is for polishing, to remove rust and tarnish, not sharpening.

I love me a good rabbit hole.

(Running from stupidity) #515

Wikipedia links are our enemy.

(New Keto Friend) #516

@anon2571578… I have that problem with Fahrenheit, pounds and inches. If someone says that he or she lost 30 pounds I don’t have a clue how much it is… :slight_smile: -)

(Karen) #517

Thumbnail is about 15 KG for 30 pounds. It’s not half, but close enough.

(Ellen) #518

Several things this weekend:
Moussaka is delicious & not too bad on keto.
Mate’s little one can now get out of cot & will wake me whenever she wants to.
I don’t seem to have an off switch when good cheese is on the table.

(KCKO, KCFO) #519

Well they have serious competition in my area, the prices at my Whole Foods are better than over in the next town about 15 miles from me. A Sprouts market is just across the parking lot, and the Kroger chain store a street over has wonderful organic foods at a good price, there are two Natural Grocers, a Colorado natural foods chain store less than two miles from them as well as Costco is near by, so they can’t go too over board on pricing around here. I do not live in a food desert. Oh and did I mention lots of ethnic grocery stores too??

Their house brand 365 has lots of good products, and the pricing is the same as the other store house brands

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #520

My 7 year old Muck boots were singing for joy this morning when I sucked them onto my feet (poor things haven’t been worn since I worked on a farm) and I forgot how much I love shoveling the walk after a snowstorm. (It snows about twice a year now and I miss it so–thanks Aquanet!)

LOL!

(Garry (Canada)) #522

It’s funny you mention that… I hadn’t been around here for a couple of months, and upon my return I noticed a more hostilite/disreactful behavior in the forum. One member rightfully suspended.
I’m still happy to contribute and be a part of a great community. There are some wonderful people here.

I learned that I just have to get used to credit card fraud being a normal and regular thing living in the US. This is the fourth time I’ve been hit in the last year (third card provider). Luckily this time around no money got spent, just some declined transactions. I had good alerting set up this time so I knew it was BS within minutes. Now I have to wait for a new card though…

The last time was very sophisticated. My wife and I had our cards physically in our possession yet it was being used to rack up bills for hotels and fast food (massive $400 orders) down in southern California. I was home in Washington at the time.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #524

Am I blind?? What are you guys talking about? Send me a DM.