What did you Keto today?

(Mike W.) #2851

Homemade sausage gravy over eggs. Heavy cream (A LOT!), butter, arrowroot powder, and homemade fennel sausage.

(Ernest) #2852

Keto at its most basic. A winner.

3 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
3 slices Wright Brand bacon (Sam’s club)

Eggs cooked in homemade ghee from Kerrygold butter

I never crisp up my bacon. Why squeeze out all that fat?

(Khara) #2853

Enchilada Verde! This will become a regular. Used the KetoConnect Low Carb Tortilla recipe and the Easy Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada recipe from inspiredtaste.net. These worked out to 5g net carbs each. A bit high but very filling and 2 easily fits into a Keto day.

(Christopher Avery) #2854

Best plate of eggs and sausage in decades.

I’m so enjoying getting reaquainted with cast iron cooking. I picked up a new Lodge skillet from Wal*Mart a couple of months ago (about $16).

This morning I first cooked a pound of sausage (saving 9 patties in the fridge for later), scraped the bits out of the pan with a metal spatula preserving the grease, then fried three over-easy eggs in the grease. The final touch after plating (other than salt and pepper) is about 3-4 drops of Tabasco sauce on top of each yolk so that when the yolk breaks the Tabasco mixes with the yolk. Simply delicious.

While it may not look like it, these eggs are actually over-easy. That darkness is just the pan drippings (which makes them so tasty!). In fact, one of the eggs was a tad undercooked (which I prefer to over-medium or over-hard).

Care and Feeding of Cast Iron Pans
(Damon Chance) #2855

I need to get brave enough to cook egg in my cast iron. I generally just use it for steaks.

(Christopher Avery) #2856

When I cook eggs in the skillet, it’s always in sea of butter or bacon/sausage grease. :yum: The eggs don’t leave residue but the bacon does. I posted today about cleaning and preserving the seasoning.

Cutting up beef loin to grill and this one looked like a heart to me. :heart:

(Ernest) #2858

I can’t cook in any other cookware. I’m a cast iron junkie, down to my cast iron grates on my grills.

(Ernest) #2859

I smooth and polish my Lodge skillets. They’re as smooth as the old vintage skillets. The difference is day and night

(Ernest) #2860

Get a chain mail for cleaning the skillets.

(Ernest) #2861

I’m very comfortable and relaxed in my kitchen. It’s my sanctuary…

(Khara) #2862

I read a long time ago to clean cast iron with salt. I had struggled with the skillets sometimes getting sticky and I hated scrubbing them down to raw iron and restarting the seasoning process. I tried the salt and was amazed by the results. It’s all we use now no matter what we cook on it. Salt and warm water with just a light kitchen brush and it just magically gets it clean and leaves it nice and seasoned. We buy the big tub of table salt only for cleaning our cast iron.

(Khara) #2863

Sorry for the repeat meal. I’m just so pleased with this. We’re going to end up getting 3 nights of dinners for 2 of us out of this Enchilada Verde. Tonight we reheated these Mexican restaurant style. Enchilada on a plate, added some extra Verde sauce and cheese, then heated the whole plate in the oven with the last minute or two on broil. Extra saucy cheesiness. :+1:t3:

For dessert I made this Lemon Custard Pie with fresh Meyers lemons. Omitted the sweetener or sugar substitute inside, and just added the fruit on top for sweetness. Recipe is from sugarfreemom.com.

(Christopher Avery) #2864

Very cool. Thank you. I use salt as a substitute cleaner for lots of things. I hadn’t thought of it for cast iron.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #2865

Lemon cake for my first ketogenic cake

#BoringKeto

(Adrienne P.) #2867

Cool plate

(Stanislav Jirák) #2868

https://flic.kr/p/ZfrTr8

(Megan) #2869

Sub in a tub from Jersey Mike’s! I didn’t know this was an option until yesterday. I got the Italian Mike’s way (tomato, onions, oil, vinegar and seasonings) with pickles and banana peppers

(MooBoom) #2870

Staying at a gorgeous bed and breakfast in QLD on Mt Tamborine (Cayambe B&B). Very accomodating and lovely hostess has cooked me a special keto breakfast every day for the past 3 days and I have successfully stayed in ketosis thanks to her consideration!