What did you Keto today? Spectacular Spooktober! (PART VIII)

(Shannon) #62

Grass-fed NY Strip, baby bok choy sauteed in a little avocado oil and chicken broth, and shrimp sauteed with kerry gold, onions, garlic, white wine, and lemon. Breaking my fast, so I’m hunnngry.

I didn’t get it, why to use a pressure cooker for something with such a short cooking time normally (I use 12 minutes for my hard-boiled eggs I think, it’s varied just like my results, I am a tad torn as I like softer yolks but they are impossible to peel and the whites may get not as firm as I like either, well the two things are connected. the yolk hardens earlier while I like firm whites and runny yolks… sigh. it’s good I eat poached eggs sometimes, they are lovely) and shared it with my SO. He said it would be longer with a pressure cooker as it reaches boiling in a “long” time, it’s quicker with a small, light pot especially if we only cook a few eggs as usual (we cook 30 eggs on open fire, it’s normally only 5 eggs in a pot, about 15 mins and then I can peel and eat them. I am rarely into boiled eggs but they are useful).

I never bother with ice or cracking, they are as useless as all the other tips I ever saw.
I tried everything. If the eggs are really hard-boiled, they easily peel, no matter what and if they aren’t, they will resist. At least in my life. And I have a huge experience with simple egg dishes. Maybe other eggs behave differently. Maybe other people can’t whip egg whites if there is some yolk in it. But I only experience the same I ever did.

We use the pressure cooker with time consuming, big dishes like a big amount of legumes. And canning fruits, mushrooms and some vegs. Once I used it for beef :slight_smile: It takes soooo long to reach boiling.

Beautiful new photos, everyone!

I just eat pork roast and sponge eggs today, nothing new :slight_smile: I guess I will eat pork roast almost every day in the future. It’s such a great and cheap staple. My SO says we are below the average Nigerian and they are the worst using 52% of their income on food. Of course we surely eat different things but it’s still informative… So price is vital (but health and standards too so we balance things. I really should eat way less already, I have big fat reserves and overeating tendencies, after all. And I can do it now. And stop drinking coffee every day, I tried to do that already). And the war in the neighbourhood made our quite high inflation new, way bigger wings.

I boil my eggs for around 3 and a half to 4 mins tops, then put them in cold water and just lightly crack the shells and break the membrane so whilst they sit in the cold water for a while, they should become easier to peel. That way I can have them softer boiled : )

Can still sometimes get some breakage, but it’s generally successful.

When I do it, after 3 mins the white is still transparent… I need maybe 6 mins to get half of the white white, the other transparent, I like that, my SO hates it :smiley:
At 10 mins the white is still not solid but at least white. The yolk isn’t runny and starts to get dry…
I better boild them 15-20 mins but I usually only use 12 mins so peeling doesn’t work well yet :smiley: But I want to keep my poor yolks from becoming full dry…

It’s for my tiny egg cooking pot with 5 normal sized eggs (as bigger ones won’t fit). Normal is what is called XL, most hens lay about that size here. I use 200W after boiling. Induction cooker.

I remember it was quicker when I used gas as a kid. I got out my eggs right after the water started to boil :smiley: I nearly always put the eggs into cold water but when I don’t, the yolks still get hard before the white so that wouldn’t solve my preference problem…

I cracked them, it never helped, just like ice… I don’t remember if salting helped (I used little salt anyway) but wasting salt sat wrong with me so I don’t care about that technique…
Nope, my eggs are stubborn.

Soft eggs are fine! 6min after boiling or so, it’s still liquid and I can just pour it out (and get the stuff stuck to the peel from the inside). Quick and easy and I love super soft eggs but I like firm whites with runny or at least not dry yolks too and that just won’t happen.
If it’s hard, I don’t care about time, never understood what is wrong with green yolks? It’s hard-boiled and peels like a dream, no matter what. And green is a nice color. Oh well, tastes differ :slight_smile:

(Laurie) #66

81 meatballs (4 meals, plus a sample), ready to go in the oven.

Not too much work, and hardly any cleanup. Thank you, double layer of parchment paper! I didn’t even have to wash the pans after.

(Robin) #67

Oh…. This is so smart! What a great option to have available in my fridge, pre-cooked, especially if I am just needing to chomp on something.
What is your seasoning?

Possibly but it still sounds much to me, 81 meatballs, oh. My. God. :flushed:

Well it would be huge work for me to ground all the meat, actually… Even my kitchen machine can’t hold much at once let alone my small grinders and almost everyone owns a meat grinder here but not me. And our moms taught us well, NEVER buy ground meat. So we never do.

But in smaller scale it’s a nice thing to have when I just don’t like my mere roasts and fried pork exciting enough :slight_smile: I always use my sausage spice but if I made this often, I probably would try other versions too. But sausage spice for the win (first ingredient is paprika of course :D).

I actually made something different from normal, even super rare but it’s not keto and not for me. It has soy (we eat a little every decade because it’s funny) and it’s awful for me now. And WAY too sweet. Good, I still try to stay close to carnivore even if it’s October and no way I do carnivore now. But staying close and doing it here and there is doable.

(Laurie) #69

@robintemplin , I was going to use a purchased herb-garlic premix, but I found at the last minute I was out. So I faked it wirh garlic powder, onion powder, and basil. I also used peri-peri sauce. The binder was parmesan and egg.

@Shinita , you’re right, it was too much work. But it went smoothly. I really hope the store has the premade meatballs soon!

Cauliflower jollof rice & peppered turkey wings.

ADF at the moment until Nov, so likely less food pics.

(J) #71

Just another nomelette. I gotta say, though, the serrano really advanced this one.

Eggplant swallow, okra & locust beans, in a beef and cow leg stew.

Why do pink and green look so pretty together here? It should look like someone’s living room in the eighties, but it somehow doesn’t :thinking:

Two crispy skin salmon tails, with tenderstem broccoli in a garlic and tarragon sauce, made with creme fraiche.

Piggy liver, with spinach and mushroom in a cream and black pepper sauce.

I didn’t actually realise that liver was a little hefty in the carb department, and ate rather a lot o_O Noted for the future.

I don’t think liver carbs count at all, at least to me. They are as special as egg carbs. And liver isn’t THAT very carby :slight_smile: Or you can eat really much, not many of us can do that.

Meanwhile I bought pork loin or I thought :smiley: it’s INSANELY fatty, way, way fattier than pork chuck, I trimmed almost half of it and the rest was SUPER fatty too. Oh well, it was lovely :smiley: Tracking is completely out of question as I don’t have the foggiest idea about the fat content.
But it’s often the case when I eat fatty pork.

I had 2 meals, I ate 492g of this (guesstimation) and not much else :smiley: It’s very satiating, good, not all fatty pork is. I repeatedly ate 1000g of pork when I made shoulder roast and that gave me my record carnivore day, 4100 kcal, zillion fat and protein…

Tonight, I’m channeling my inner carnivore.

Pork shoulder with some extra pork shoulder xD Lost track of time, and it was cooked and smelled amazing and I was hungry and lazy and couldn’t be bothered to spend any additional time on throwing anything else together ; )

(Robin) #77

Yeah… a little can turn into all in a very short time. I often put leftovers in the fridge and my husband laughs. Cuz I am always back in less than an hour to finish it off.

(Jane) #78

Sorry to take so long to answer - was in Europe on vacation for 2 weeks.

I use this recipe and the meat falls apart just scooping it out of the pot.

https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/wprm_print/7206

@ElgynsToy: Wow, my pork shoulder never is this interesting looking! Pretty shot, colorful too! :slight_smile:

I rendered some more lard from my super fatty meat, this time from the almost pure fat parts and inhaled the by-product before lunch yesterday…

(Betsy) #80

Thank you, Janie. The pot makes it sound much easier. The recipe looks good.

Daikon curry (daikon, cauliflower mash, smoked mackerel, mixed peppers) topped with stewed cow offal.