What did you Keto today? Spectacular Spooktober! (PART VIII)

It was very good but do I eat a lot of spice - so it was super, super spicy. My tongue may have developed a resistance to spices at this point.

(Jane) #23

Tri tip roast sous vide at 135 F for 8 hrs and seared on a grill. Faux mashed potatoes made with roasted cauliflower.

(J) #24

Prime NY strip and loaded broccoli this evening.

(Robin) #25

@jh5899 Do you live alone? Personal question, sorry. Just wondering if you live with someone who eats the same meals you do.
I am so impressed by people who live alone, yet cook such gorgeous meals for themselves. I am the epitome of lazy in the kitchen. Throw a hunk o’ meat in the air fryer, chow down. My husband eats carbage… and we rarely share food or cooking or mealtimes.

(J) #26

I live alone, yes. I’m lazier than you may think. But when it comes to steak or chili or brisket/pork butt, there’s no short-circuiting, because the money spent on the meat warrants a greater care in the preparation (in my estimation). Now, when it comes down to indulgence meals, it’s nothing to slum it, fry up some ground beef with ranch style beans & taco seasoning, throw it on a bed of lettuce & tortilla chips, and glop a heaping pile of ro-tel & velveeta cheese dip atop it, and call it done. :rofl::joy:

All that said, I absolutely love cooking outside, but it does take a little more time.

Beautiful photos, everyone. I especially enjoyed the harmony between the food and plate colors, @Janie!
Meanwhile I don’t have anything interesting or new to show.

My SO cooks outside a lot. It takes HOURS of constant work - but we need to burn a lot of stuff, it’s amazing how much wood a small garden produces… And it’s kind of fun :slight_smile:

I am lazy but cooking is a hobby - I still wouldn’t cook elaborated meals for someone else. And I don’t need them myself… Hence no effort, no vegs carby food for my SO (vegetable dishes are super time consuming IMO, there are exceptions but we usually needed a lot of preparation. oh and I tracked my veggie soup, about 18 measurements…). I still bake bread, that is simple but not super simple but I really like baking so I don’t mind the extra effort.

But this week is easy. My SO made his own food for 5 days (a single dish), I did the same (pork roast), I only make my simple egg dishes for me and the simplest mug cakes for him.
I still am in the kitchen for hours a day, I have no idea how to avoid that. So many things to do, mostly cleaning and grinding seeds and other things. But I can spend much time with making and drinking coffee (and it’s instant coffee). Me and kitchen… Sigh. Sometimes I try to cut my time but it’s a strong habit and I like it most of the time. It was hard when I cooked different and not simple enough meals for us both. At some point we just couldn’t eat the same dishes most of the time but it changed when I made carnivore(-ish) my default woe and it got better and better as my SO slowly got used to eating meat too…

Hmmn. I have never tried roasting cauliflower before mashing it. Do you think it tastes better compared to steaming & mashing?

Singapore palmini noodles with tiger prawns, diced pork and chicken.

Regarding laziness, I really try my best not to cook during the week.

On Sunday, I spend about 4 hours in the kitchen cooking ahead everything I will eat during the week and storing away in fridge/freezer.

I think the only things I don’t cook ahead are things that take no time at all. Like green beans which takes like 4 minutes to cook. Or things that will go off/mushy if cooked ahead - like cauliflower mash.

So some weeks, it’s basically zero cooking during the week.

Noms!

Roast chicken leg (with thigh), asparagus, broccoli and crispy smoked bacon in a sour cream and parmesan sauce : )

I always preferred my vegs fried. I loved vegetables to bits (except the green leafy ones) but I never touched them steamed. Maybe cooked, in soups but at least the onions needed to be browned there…
Frying makes some lovely flavors, be it plant or animal matter. I fried everything. I fried them well. If it wasn’t brown, I probably didn’t want it. (I didn’t change much but some. Now I prefer yellow, moist scrambled eggs, not browned ones.)

Beautiful photo again, by the way :wink:

I eat usual boring things. But I wondered about food photography. A bigger camera actually makes certain things harder… But I will experiment.

I never really considered frying non-leafy veg. Unless I am making a stir-fry - but even then I tend to steam it lightly first. The only things I do fry without steaming are things like garlic, onions, red peppers, sometimes tomatoes etc.

I guess it’s because I grew up with having vegetables boiled or steamed.

And thank you. I don’t like big cameras either - or more accurately - I can’t seem to get them working right. A good phone with a good camera is my comfort zone.

Cauliflower and cabbage (okay, that’s green leaf but not very green, I actually liked that) is wonderful fried :slight_smile:

I only use and like big cameras, they are the real, proper things to use for me who doesn’t want to shot everything. They just have a small depth of field so my food easily get blurry at places I don’t want it to be (it’s an old camera with a problematic autofocus too…).
I usually LOVE tiny depth of field as I like to make macro photos, totally blurring the background behind a flower is neat :wink: But for my food, it may or may not work. When I have focus problems (I tend to with food, I don’t even know what I want to be sharp) and especially when I want the various parts to be all sharp, it doesn’t work.

Forgot to take anything out of the freezer yesterday, so tonight it’s frittata ; )

Made with smoked bacon, brussels, sour cream and parmesan.

Ah yes, the blurry background thing. Certainly better to achieve with a proper camera.

I can’t figure out how that works either. Plus, never really been a fan on it. It looks great when pro photographers do it well though.

(Robin) #36

Good lord, woman!

(Jane) #37

No, next time I will steam it

(Jane) #38

Street taco size low carb tortillas for fajitas. Used shaved ribeye meat - yummy!

ETA: that is a salad plate, not a dinner plate.

Dinner today.

Meat is pork rib (pulled off the bone for plating). Cooked slow and low with ACV, paprika, salt and pepper, and just a touch of cumin and cinnamon.

Bed of rocket and asparagus, with some of the most kick ass Ewe’s milk cheese I think I’ve ever had; ‘White Lake’s Pave Cobble’ which is unpasteurised, and just tastes like heaven xD

Lunch - Scrambled eggs with spinach & cherry tomatoes, peppercorn mackerel & roasted butternut squash.

Perfectly autumnal looking :heart: