What Did You Keto Today? Part IV

food

:+1: Made me hungry too, hence I had steak twice today. :smile:

Dinner, before going out to water the Garden… and watch a Shit-Ton of Rabbits! … You can see why I just put up new Chicken wire around the Garden. Had 9 of them little bastards around me while I was watering. And a couple had the nerve to Mate right in front of me. :flushed: (Like to say 'Hey, there’s more to come! :smile:) … They just better hope not to meet Khaleesi. Because she loves playing with them. :wink:

Sous Vide Demonico Steak with Deep Sea Scallops. Butter for dipping… Steak and Seafood. :yum:

Oh… And here’s some Rabbit pics for ya. :smile:

Here’s just 4 together, standing not 10 feet from the Garden. (Garden is just to the right of the image)!

And to show I wasn’t kidding about the, um, humping:astonished:

:laughing: :+1:

Wow! The merit of having dogs - rabbits and deer don’t even think about digging under or jumping over that fence of mine! None of my dogs even ever got to chase one. The critters don’t like the smell of the place I guess. Maybe you need to source some dog poop to put along the fence.

I bury mine once a week, but there is always more to come.

(Jane) #1751

I am jealous of your weed-free garden!!!

We’ve had so much rain the weeds are winning. We do good just to keep them from around the plants so not choked out. And that is weeding constantly. Do you use chemicals or live in your garden???

(Neil) #1752

I’ve got a seriously bad case of the munchies today for some reason! Maybe my veggie-only frittata from earlier wasn’t enough food for the day. Anyway, normally I wouldn’t eat in the evening, but I couldn’t resist whipping up some crepes tonight. These were made from just eggs, cream cheese, cinnamon, and butter. Yummy!

Well, the Rabbits are in full force this year for sure, but no, they don’t come in my yard much either. Nor do the Deer. Most stay outside my yard because of my Pups, (at least the smart ones. :slight_smile:) and I’m the only one in the neighborhood that even has a fence. …They also seem to know that they only come out occasionally too, since mine are house dogs. The only time they are out there for longer periods of time, is when they happen to be out there with me while I’m working, etc. - But I do find the occasional Rabbit, or should I say parts of one every once in a while. Always fun to find 1/2 a Rabbit or Squirrel out there. And I can usually tell when they keep wanting to go back out that somethings up.

I just try to stay on top of it, going out there and weeding every 2-3 days, especially in the early part to try and keep grass from forming. Gets a bit harder once the plants get some size to them, but I find if I can just hoe out the new growth often enough early, it usually keeps it from getting too out of control. … I don’t like using Chemicals TBH, but I have done so before tilling and planting. But I haven’t in the past few years. - I used to think it helped keep the vegetation down some, but find if I till twice in the weeks before planting, it’s not needed. (Though I will every couple years hit the fence line, since it isn’t always easy to keep the weeds from growing into and up the fence. Especially with Chicken wire on it.)

Dave, would you show us a picture of the preferred knife you use to remove the silver skin from your protein, please?

No chemicals at all in the vicinity of food, or even in the flower garden. My dogs are where I am, inside or out. It is just the scent they leave behind, most animals are able to detect scents we are totally unaware of. My dogs only ever caught a wild, not fully grown goose in the 25 years I have been here.

For some reason I wanted lunch yesterday - 2 Bratwurst, 2 easy over eggs and some mushrooms. I have no picture of dinner, it was just the leftover ribs, heated.

Sure, but I’ll have to wait until I get back home tonight after work. I actually have and use quite a few different knives, but I also keep all my knives extremely sharp which is essential to making the job go a lot smoother for trimming up meats. … (Most folks who cut themselves while using knives is usually due to using a knife that is not sharp enough, which makes you have to put more pressure and effort to cut through the meat. A sharper knife actually aids in this and makes the job much easier.) But I do prefer the thinner blades for when I’m butchering meats like the ones I show above. When I cape and cut up Deer, I usually use smaller size knives, but with thicker overall blades. But once I’ve de-boned the meat I go to the thinner blades for trimming and slices the meat into steaks, cubes, etc.

Yep, that’s why you see dogs sniffing all around when they first go out. They can smell where all those little furry creatures have been while they were in the house watching Cable. :smile: … But unfortunately, not many of those critters make it once my younger girl Khaleesi gets on them. She’s always been the hunter out of the group and I believe most times she catches them after dark when she’s let out. (It gets quite dark in the country where I’m at, and she is quite fast, but you can sometimes hear the Rabbits slamming into and down along the fence lines trying their best to get away as she’s chasing them down. During the daytime when it’s light, anything out there skedaddles as soon as they hear the side door open… They know what’s coming out. :+1:

I am interested in how you sharpen the knives. I seem to be failing at that, and either don’t have the right tools or the right way to do it.

Not a problem, I will mention and show that tonight as well. But basically I manually sharpen mine these days with a couple tools I have for this. … But have also used mechanical ones too, and they can be a time saver indeed! I’ve spent many a night sitting back watching TV, and simply sharpening knives for hours. I like to have plenty on hand, especially during Deer Season. But more so when I take a few deer in just a week which relates to a lot of butchering to be sure. :slight_smile: My Wife will tell ya, as we are cutting up Deer, she will sometimes get hers dulled out some and I will give her mine and resharpen hers. And we do this multiple times throughout the process. So having 4 or 5 already sharpened really helps.

Walked about 20 minutes this morning before starting the day up in the office. Then I just walked 30 minutes again before heating up lunch… Scrambled Eggs, Sausage, 1 Can Smoked Vienna’s, Pickles, Olives and a Root Beer Zevia and Iced Tea. Also brought my Salt & Vinegar Almonds today. So will eat about 20 of those over the next few hours. (I eat Almonds quite slowly) :slight_smile:

IMG_4288

Ok, so I had my first Zucchini Boat of the Season tonight. Wife made the 50/50 Sausage/Hamburger mix I usually use, but I also have plans to try a Taco version and a Steak & Cheese with Fried Onions.

Woohoo, my Kimchi arrived! 3 1/2 pounds of delight! Freshly made, and will slowly continue to ferment and add flavor in the fridge.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1762

@Athena61I recently learns a trick for removing silver skin from pork rib racks, it was the opposite of what I was doing. Use a butter knife! Slip under in the middle of the rack and tease it off towards the end.

Ok, so when we purchase bulk meats like we did on Sunday, and those larger pieces don’t have bones, these are the knives that I usually prefer to use. They have very thin blades, which I find works well for cutting meats without the bone in. (essentially just trimming or cutting pieces into sections for sealing. … The thinner blades are easier to keep sharpened, but are more prone to flattening if you constantly hit hard bone, or even cutting boards.) I prefer using the glass ones since cleanup is much easier and are less likely to get bacteria buildup like wood if you don’t stay on top of them. … These knives also work great for slicing things like Cheese, Vegetables, etc. The slotted blades help keep things from sticking, allowing air pockets to form while you cut through them. But the overall sharpness is the most important, and the one in the middle is the one that I will use the most for all the above mentioned.

*As I mentioned, I find that having an extremely sharp knife really helps a lot, especially for Silver Skin, by letting the knife do the work just keeping the knife angled a little more toward the skin which is thick enough to not slice through in this method, but will release it from the meat easily. - You can remove Silver Skin a few ways… My wife likes to put the Silver Skin on the bottom, slip the knife in between the meat and skin (Keeping it level with the table and slightly toward the Skin) and slices it from underneath. (Similar to how some might remove skin from fish) I do the same at times, but also work it from the top too. The trick is to slice just along and under the layer of Silver Skin, simply detaching it from the meat, without digging into the meat itself, and then slide the knife slightly toward the Skin, which will allow the blade to slide along it. (But keep in mind a sharp knife will and can slice through it if angled too much toward it) And a dull knife will not do this well, and has the potential for an accident to occur.

Like most other animals, on a Deer, the Back-Straps have Silver Skin along the entire section on the outside of the cut. The inner side attaches to the spine. So you need to work it carefully off all the uneven vertebrae so not to loose meat. So for this type of work I prefer a knife with a sharpened point/tip, smaller in size, but also with a thicker overall blade such as some of the examples shown below. And I always prefer full-tang, with the metal running through the entire knife end to end. … Connected blades and/or folders have that failure potential as well if too much pressure is placed on them. … Though I do have some of them myself, 90% of my knives are full tang for the strength they provide. (And peace of mind)*

And my overall Favorite is the Alpha-Hunter by Buck Knives, namely the Camo one third from the left. I have two of them, one in Maple and the Camo. I also have both versions of the folders, again one of each. But if I had to choose only one knife to ever carry for Deer, it would be that one. I find they hold their edge extremely well, are quite sturdy and the perfect size for caping and quartering the animal. It’s a nice little package that really does the job with ease, and it’s easy to keep clean as well. … The Buck on the far right is also a nice choice for cutting up Deer meat or removing Silver Skin, with it’s rubber handle for grip and it’s thin blade. But I find the edge doesn’t hold up like the others shown unfortunately.

I have sort-of always collected knives my entire life, or at least picked up ‘many’ over the years. If I had to guess, I would say I probably have at least 60 or 70? (Could be more?) But of course sharpening them is something I’ve always done and enjoyed. I even had guys back in the day that I worked construction with, who would have me take their knives home and sharpen them once they seen or used mine. So I have used quite a few methods/tools over the years, but I have two that I use and like the best. … First would be the compact Diamond Rod sharpeners which I probably use most. (Shown below) The biggest issue with manual sharpening, is of course, keeping the angle of the blade right. And I find the more you do it, the easier it comes. … The other one, shown on the left, I recently purchased last year to try it, and I have to say it does work pretty good, but I find it a bit awkward compared to the rod sharpeners. … The other would be an nice Electric sharpener, with multiple grit wheels, like the one I show below. I have one somewhere down in the basement I’ve had for many years, and it does work well. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it is definitely a time saver. Especially when you’re sharpening multiple knives. But since I don’t mind doing it manually, I get more satisfaction from I guess? But either method would work.

Note: The Electric Sharpener pictured below is not mine. But since I could not locate mine, I used this image. I can say I think it’s the exact same make/model since it looks just like the one I have. The Wheel on the left is the rougher grind stone to help shape the blade, and the two on the right are for fine tuning the edge. Once you establish an edge by keeping the knife perfectly straight and pulling it fully through the slots, the grinding wheels are angled to produce the edge for you. You just want to let the grinding wheels do the work and not try to push down on them to make them work faster. This doesn’t help it do it’s job, and can actually cause issues. But this method is clearly the easiest, fastest way to sharpen knives to an extremely sharp edge. … With either method used, you also need to make sure you don’t overdo it, and fold the edge. This happens when you get the edge to razor sharpness, and I mean you can shave hair with it, and then the edge can fold over from thinning or cutting hard surfaces.

Sorry for the long post, I was just trying to provide what information I could for questions asked… :+1:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1764

Crazy Fusion Gumbo

Kielbasa, Red Bell Pepper, Garlic, Bacon Fat, Coconut Cream, Cajun Seasoning, Thyme, Oregano, Anchovies, Spicy Tomato Paste, Homemade 4 Chili Enchilada Sauce Base, Worcester Sauce, Crystal Louisiana Hot Sauce and Cilantro

It was one of those deal with government red tape because everything is shut down COVID days. I was really depressed because I got nowhere, and didn’t feel like cooking at all but I knew I was getting hungry. Completely unmotivated I drank a big Rum and Diet Coke to counter my bad feelings and suddenly got motivated. The problem was I was tired of the SOS! Started pulling odds and ends from the fridge inspired for a fusion gumbo! Came out delicious. Cooking with alcohol is fun. Occasionally I even add it to the food! :crazy_face::yum::grin::cowboy_hat_face:

I always dread trying to do this with a knife and grabbing whatever piece I can of the skin with a paper towel. It’s usually such an itty bitty piece if skin. I’ll try your method next time.

Thank you so much for that post, Dave. It was very helpful. I, too, have wondered about sharpening knives, and if the electric sharpeners are any good. I have a few nice knives and have been taking them to a legit knife sharpening shop, but I would love to sharpen them at home, myself. I was just concerned that the electric ones might ‘over sharpen’ them. I’ll look into it though. Thanks, again!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #1767

Generally the problem with electric sharpeners is the poor angle. Depending on blade thickness and the intention of the knife angles can vary quite a bit. I like a sharper angle for most knives other than a heavy meat cleaver intended for breaking through bone.

I use a ceramic rod mostly and a wet water stone when I need more revision of a dulled edge. Key is upkeep and not letting a knife get too dull before you do maintenance. This keeps the difficulty to a minimum. Once it gets too dull it’s a lot more work. I also use a steel to straighten out a folded edge of a blade. This is usually 90% of the problem. Pull the blade backwards towards the end of the steel to unfold and straighten the edge. @Digital_Dave has an awesome knife collection! Very nice. :cowboy_hat_face:

You say you use glass cutting boards. I would prefer that too, I use mostly glass plates etc. I always thought that glass might be bad for the knives?