What Did You Keto Today? Part IV

food

We had a great Greek dinner on vacation recently and everyone loved the chicken so I tried to recreate it, got two thumbs up from the family and request to make it often!

(Laurie) #4512

Oh … ?

(Laurie) #4513

Deviled eggs and ground beef for supper. Crumbled ground beef is a staple for me, for several reasons. I cook 3 pounds at a time in the oven. Today it was with 1/4 cup peri-peri sauce, 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning, and a teaspoon each of basil and garlic powder. So easy. Not really Italian tasting, but good. A third of the recipe (1 pound) is one meal.

(Robin) #4514

That’s my kind of efficient cooking/eating.

image image
Well this was an experiment. Pizza toppings on a plate. Tastes pretty much like you would expect. Flavour 9/10, Texture 5/10.

And for those who enjoy meaty activities, I have recently discovered the joys of freshly home-ground beef mince. Produces a really nice texture, especially for oven roasting. It’s the sort of thing I’ll be bothered with about once a month. Yesterday I crisped it in a very hot oven and had with some goat’s cheese marinated in olive oil.

I only use self-made mince as it’s very well known here that mincemeat isn’t something worth to buy. I don’t know the details, some hygiene and who knows what was in the grinder before things, I haven’t really eaten meat until 2 years ago but all moms seems to tell this to their kids and every family owns a meat grinder. Maybe not all the younger ones, we don’t have it either (obviously our moms had one). Okay, not me :smiley: I use my tiny general grinder for it, works well. Grinding meat is way too easy and I only eat it rarely and in smaller amounts so of course I do that myself.
It’s never beef as that is so very exotic item in my kitchen (I eat a little beef once almost every month not counting bresaola) that I just eat it as a small stew, I make pork mince :slight_smile: The texture is nice indeed, it’s so not chewy, it’s soft and smooth and doesn’t go into our teeth :smiley: My lil grinder makes it more like a paste but I like that.
I never used the oven afterwards, I just fry my mince super quickly :slight_smile: It’s nice just like that but I often mix it with eggs, sometimes pork skin (the soft one from a boiled processed meat so it’s not hard at all) and very often paprika (actually, usually my sausage spice mix). It’s great.
But I love my roasts and they are easier, I make mince when I have a bit too big slab for a comfortable oven roast or when I am just bored of roasts (it’s harder and harder to do, pork roasts with only a little salt are just perfect for me and I have breaks with more eggs and usually liver).

But I came to show what I made!

[EDIT: I accidentally sent it… Here]

Beef tongue (the tip of it. I put the other pics into the November carni thread), I tasted it first in my life and it’s great! The taste is nice too but the texture and fattiness, awesome! (I ate it with covered with Hungarian paprika. As I have New Zealand paprika too at the moment. Ours is better.)

I made these today but I will eat tomorrow. I merely tasted the blood and liver not-sausages (we call it hurka and it always has rice. these has little but I don’t like them so it’s not for me).
The meat is a little piece of pork shoulders (and 2 itsy-bitsy ones), only 700g in total and not ready yet but I fry the sausage a bit more too (half of it as my SO didn’t care, he wanted to eat it immediately. the not-sausages needed less time and I timed the oven accordingly and forgot about the whole thing).
The not-sausages exploded a bit (the liver one more than the blood one as they had the same size as the sausage), those parts aren’t in the pic, it usually bothers people, I don’t care. I’ve read that they need a lower temp, well, bad luck, the others needed a higher one and they are the important ones for me :slight_smile:

(Laurie) #4518

My ex-husband used to cook tongue, and it was great. He liked to serve it to guests, and then see the looks on their faces when he told them what it was.

Lunch. Nice to have ready-to-eat foods when I’m behind schedule. Deviled eggs and salmon salad. (Is it “salad” if it’s just salmon and condiments? No veg.)

(Laurie) #4519

This time I cooked the 3 pounds (3 meals) of ground beef with 1/4 cup peri-peri sauce, 2 tablespoons of curry powder, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Easy and delicious. I don’t even have to grease the pan, and it washes up easily.

(Laurie) #4520

I don’t have a waffle maker now. With the help of @buxomlass (and her adorable kitty avatar – kills me every time I see it), I learned to make pancakes using my favorite chaffles recipe. So I had a salmon sandwich for lunch.

(Robin) #4521

Yes, every time I see @buxomlass, I am disappointed in my lack of imagination for avatar and name.

(Laurie) #4522

Robin, may I say, I prefer your pretty face to the doggy avatar you had. Sorry, just not a dog person!

(Butter Withaspoon) #4523

I appreciate buxomlass every time I read it :smile:

I’m sorry for my fungus avatar :laughing: - but it’s a very pretty fungus I found on a nearby hill, and sometimes it looks a bit like a cartoon face.

(Robin) #4524

@islandlight. Thanks. But you haven’t met Paul Petersen Wonder Dog. He’s a bit of unicorn.

(Laurie) #4525

Thin omelet with salmon filling. I let it sit in the pan for a minute after folding, to heat up the salmon a bit. I ate two of these. Quite nice – I think I’ll have the same tomorrow.

@islandlight @robintemplin @Hallie Awwwwww … you guys!!
Mah kitteh is extra smiley today because of you …

buxomlass

Laurie, I’m glad it worked and you enjoyed your sandwich! :yum:

(Robin) #4527

@buxomlass @islandlight @Hallie Paul is easily tickled too.

(Laurie) #4528

As predicted, lunch was 2 salmon omelets (salmon crepes?). Wraps were egg and a bit of water only.

Finally, I almost can show a meal! Only because I ate it yesterday and made the photo today as I almost had enough leftovers :stuck_out_tongue:

Pork shoulder roast, beef tongue covered with paprika, pork jowl (covered with paprika, I had twice as much as this and it had a bit meat in it as well but super tiny this time :frowning: oh well, it was still good, it’s boiled), scrambled eggs (3 eggs, 40g pork jowl, I have a scrambled eggs phase but these two together are just perfect! I rarely can eat fat tissue without meat but this is special), 2 more eggs and a coffee with an egg and a tiny bit butter in it.
It was super satiating (100g protein, 200g fat, very satiating items for me? no wonder) and lasted for a day just fine.

Nice food, 10/10, I think. Scrambled eggs like this? Pure bliss.

I planned to calculate the costs but forgot. It wasn’t expensive, I keep finding $1.5/lbs pork shoulder sales (990HUF/kg). I don’t know what caused this, it’s a very low price, I am not used to it but I can’t resist. I have lots of it left so I guess my fatty times continue… But if I stick to carnivore, I will surely lose fat (that’s how I work if I stick to it. I just never did it for long enough before but that’s what this winter is about) and how amusing is this, not like I didn’t know the fattiest but satiating items are my only “diet foods”… :slight_smile: But it took years to realize vegetables makes fat-loss pretty much impossible for me under normal circumstances…

Today I ate a bit similar but I had some soup and egg pudding (still 2 extra eggs, both used the water we boiled the beef tongue in) and didn’t touch the extra pork jowl. 1000 kcal less, still barely could eat it all.

Lunch… Sausage links, Boiled Eggs, Cheese and Strawberries.

IMG_0589

Dinner… Liver, Chicken and Onions.

IMG_0590