What Did You Keto Today? Part IV

food

(Butter Withaspoon) #3977

Oh yeah, now I remember that huge terrible patch, of one particular awful weed in these parts, at the bottom of the garden. - that would give me the other type of hard working back breaking FUN! But I do usually feel good afterwards. Maybe I should tackle it while the ground is not too dry?

(Butter Withaspoon) #3978

A version of coleslaw, and the rich stew under which my Osso Buccos were cooking. They were really good and I was pleased that there was some marrow in the bones

What a nice colorful plate! It helps I prefer these colors :smiley:

My “this and that” plate is this (2 versions, both have its benefits, I probably will need a cooler lamp… this yellowish - not as yellow as many old lamps were but still - one changed the colors of my items :frowning: but only the tiny cool diffused light from outside lefts the shadowy parts too dark):

I eat these with boiled eggs. I don’t want to eat only a bit too processed stuff anyway but most of these are way too salty for me. 1.8%, 3.8%… I prefer my meat with about 1% salt as I managed to figure out lately. And it probably goes down as time passes.
I need several eggs to balance out the saltiness on this plate.

We have here… Braseola, cooked pork belly, a tiny snack sausage, Leerdammer and my fav french brie, no idea how it can be so cheap at Aldi, whatever, I am glad.

I eat extremely little cheese lately but we did our monthly big shopping and I won’t eat “normal meat” now. Just this and maybe a little fried liver. Organ meat is normal enough but I still eat it in moderation. So it’s not like having a lot of pork roast like on my meaty days.
I ate NO EGGS yesterday! :scream: And I did egg fast for 9 hours with other not eggy things in the evening so I had not many eggs on that day too (I can’t eat all that fat so I ate the minimum amount. and half. 6.5 eggs, it’s horribly little for a vegetarian carnivore day if you ask me. I always was highly incompatible with the egg fast, that’s why I never dared to try until 2 days ago. not my brightest idea but I was curious and I have no regrets, I just never will go against my body like this).
I make sure I eat plenty of eggs today :slight_smile: Eggs are awesome.

I still can’t show a whole meal (maybe I take notes and arrange photos afterwards one day) but these with several eggs make a small cold meal in my world. Sometimes it’s enough. I had breakfast today, that was even smaller, 1 egg (scrambled), some coffee (with yolk and a tiny bit of cream) and a very little bresaola (salty!) and 2 slices of cooked pork belly (less salty and nice and tender. a bit too salty but after 2 days with probably less than usual sodium it was okay). A small cold lunch (the plate with 5 boiled eggs) will be enough. Probably. One can never know!

And I will eat fried chicken liver and eggs for dinner.
My body and mind really desire a cute carni day now (even though I had about 12-15g onion in my scrambled egg, I had leftovers. It did absolutely nothing to me, oh well. I changed too much).

(Amy the Silly Sausage 🌭) #3980

Mmmmmmm @Shinita that looks SO yummy!! I will eat my pork now :heartpulse:

On the other hand, my strawberry plants couldn’t care less about the weeds (at least the grass and small stuff, I always take out the big ones eventually). They yield a ton of fruit no matter what their cohabitants are, it seems (and weeds are still better than too sunny, dry places, I actually planted a sour cherry tree to provide shadow for that unfortunately, mostly bare part. my strawberries below the big cherry tree are fine except there are raspberries too and those are stronger and win all battles), picking them can take an hour on the strongest days… :frowning: Woe me, but seriously. I even must eat the crushed lil ones and what will become of my already tricky carni plans then? But it’s in the future.
I still don’t want to see 1-1.5m high weeds in my strawberry patch (they have their own place and they don’t care. the strawberry plants, I mean. they just go everywhere and I am a softie if it’s about plants and mostly let them./ even weeding is a bit painful, poor beings just want to live… some are even nice like the zillions of dandellions in my garden, absolutely everywhere… hundreds in my strawberry patch…) so I heroically weed that part lately (well, I do something… sometimes). But I know from experience that it never will be even remotely weed-free, not even if I focus all my effort into that tiny place for several days. How others do that I wonder, they probably have way more energy and a better attitude than me. But I can get out the biggest weeds at least so my not even big garden won’t look like a totally abandoned one. It’s hard now as the weeds just popped up without me noticing for a while, we had some great weather for them lately and my weeding (more like grass cutting) quota was met elsewhere.

It will be better later but May with awesome plant-growing weather? The plants especially the weeds and the grass went totally crazy, they wanna reach the sky as soon as possible, it seems. They can’t but it’s clearly not for lack of effort on their part.

A few weeks more and my photos will contain some strawberries too, making them a tad more interesting. I eat very similarly every week, I don’t feel much motivation to make photos about my meals. Though every pork roast is pretty and a bit different from the others :smiley:

I may think a tad much about my fruits but it’s May… Of course I do :smiley: They did nothing all winter :smiley: Except the medlar that I pick fresh and ripe in December… That’s the end of my fruit seasons. And the beginning of June is the start! Maybe end of May this year as my first strawberry flowers bloomed in the end of April and I know they need a month to become a ripe fruit.
I may not desire to eat strawberries but I am still excited about them :slight_smile:

As of the last few years, I’ve only been planting Zucchini, Squash, Tomatoes (Cherry mostly & Yellow Pear when we can get them, but also some full sized too) & some Peppers. But I usually plant quite a lot, so the neighbors and co-workers generally get quite a bit when they start blowing up and we can’t keep up with the yield. (Since I do still limit intake of them, or basically stay under 20c daily) But would rather have too much, than not enough. Too easy to share with others, who really enjoy the freebies.

But Strawberries are something the Wife has talked about planting, but we haven’t done so as of yet. I think we start looking into it more this year and possibly setting up an area in which to do so.

Hoping to start seeing some production in the next month or so, especially Zucchini, since I do enjoy making all kinds of Zucchini Boats stuffed with all sorts of meats, cheeses, etc. :yum:

Edit to add… The Wife just reminded me that we also have Cucumbers planted too.

Well, I was thinking about skipping today, but I’ve had congestion & sinus issues most of the day. So decided at the last minute to run out and pick up something. … Rotisserie Chicken, along with some Dry Roasted Macadamia Nuts. Also Bai Rio Raspberry SuperTea and Root Beer Zevia. Only ate a few of the Macadamia Nuts. Think this is the first time I’ve ever bought any of them too? That I recall that is.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don’t like dry roasted nuts much. I like buying fresh nuts or lightly roasted in oil, and then putting what I want to eat in a bowl with a dab of butter and pop them in the micro, or pop them in some tinfoil and do the same on the grill or whatever. You ought to try it sometimes, it’s one of my favorite things and works for all nuts.

*Might have to give that a try. I do, on very rare occasion, get some raw and just eat them like that. But have never tried roasting my own. … But I do like Almonds, (Most flavors, and I even saw a new flavor today, but didn’t pick them up. ‘Sweet Thai Chili’ - They were next to the Wasabi and Soy Sauce ones I still have. So I might try them in the near future. I still have quite a few, since I only do 1 serving of any.

Other then Almonds, I do like Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, etc. … All salted of course, but with any I always limit myself to a serving. Either 1oz. or 1/4 Cup (32g) but also don’t want to do them every day, though I could do so quite easily. I could probably just eat those in in lieu of meals. :slight_smile:

Went straight down into the basement when I got home and started working… I actually wanted to eat some Pumpkin Seeds, so the Wife made me a plate of food, since I won’t snack. - As I’ve always said, ‘When I eat, I eat… I don’t snack’. So I just make sure to eat them with the meal, so it’s not snacking.

IMG_8796

I might do some Fasting now though. Been wanting to for the past week or two, but it hasn’t fit into the schedule. We had just picked up some stuff that only I eat, so I think that’s all been taken care of. :slight_smile:

(Butter Withaspoon) #3986

I grow a lot of strawberry plants, but sadly this garden is too shady to get more than occasional fruits. Lucky you Shinita!

My beef broth today, enhanced by a bit of garden produce (I think of it as my electrolyte mix!), with 3 eggs poached in it. Soft yolks yay!

I still have a cold so I’m not getting out much or exercising. My appetite matches my activity.

My SO regularly eat roasted peanuts as a small lunch when he works overtime (he normally finishes work at 2pm so he eats at home). He used to be able to get a big meal using only peanuts, he had no carb limit so he just ate 250g…
I would get sick eating too many peanuts but I am kind of addicted to it so I try to avoid it, I only can do it since I go for carnivore, it makes it zillion times easier. I still eat it sometimes, maybe 5-10g on some days (not necessarily at once and on my definitely not carnivore-ish days it’s often more). I came a long way. But I had to, it’s not proper or satiating food to me. I just enjoy the crunchiness and taste. We have them covered in spicy carby stuff, not like I care when it has wasabi flavor, I love that very much and it’s super crunchy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If I can’t stop at one piece, I stop at 2 or 3. It’s very strong for me. But of course, I try to resist and it’s often successful.

Almonds are nice too but I like peanuts way better and they are way cheaper (1/5th price for the normal, just roasted and salted one). Only pecans can come close. And walnuts but they are for pancakes and other desserts, I don’t snack on them.

No photo today yet (later! it won’t be particularly pretty but a nice food, chicken curry. not carnivore but keto), I just ate scrambled eggs this far.

Wow. My strawberries are in the valley at the north, they don’t get much sun (I can’t grow vegetables there) but it seems it’s enough for them…
For some reason I can’t really have vegetables in this bad soil despite my tiny vegetable garden gets enough sun. Most of my garden doesn’t.
But my fruits? They LOVE the place. It doesn’t matter if it’s tree or bush or a small plant. Peach and blueberries are out, we never even tried, we know the soil doesn’t work for them but all the others for this climate are just fine. We water the veggies and do all the other work with them (but watering is most of the work and had to be done almost every day) and we may get a few radishes and tomatoes and some spring onions per year. We do basically nothing with the fruit plants and they yield… Fortunately not literally a ton but very, very much. Sometimes we cut some branches, takes some fruit if the tree overdid it and a few selected plants get even extra water here and there (especially the young trees in drier times. we always have enough rain for everything else but they are vulnerable) but it’s almost nothing*. And all the fruits are so good :slight_smile: Often too sweet for me but undeniable flavorful. And pretty! And exciting to watch them to grow…

*Except the blackberry. That is hard work and I need to get out thorns from my hand for days afterwards. And it’s not even among my favorites… But my SO loves it so fine, it can stay, it’s not like I would be happy NOT to have this one. I collect fruits, I want the biggest variety I can have. I have yellow, red (and pink as they mixed somehow or I don’t know what happened but I have pink ones now), purple and black raspberries, for example (the black is pretty new so I don’t know the taste yet, it will be exciting!). Raspberries were my keto fruits, now I rarely eat them but they are still great.

A few more weeks and I bring photos with some of my fruits :smiley: :strawberry:

Yes, I know the feeling, that’s why I always use the chance when I make some soup and eat several poached eggs with soft yolks!!! Unless I mess it up and the yolks aren’t soft :frowning: Timing is tricky, nowadays I take them out when they are perfect so the hot soup can’t mess with them later.
I am not into sunny side ups, I need a flavorful liquid for poached eggs and my boiled eggs must be drier or else I can’t peel them. I can take them out with a spoon but it’s troublesome (I eat very soft-boiled eggs, that’s another matter, that comes out easier). But poached eggs with some good soup? Perfect and convenient and the only good option for me to eat soft yolks! (Or I could fry yolks only but I like my softish whites too…)

It suddenly unseasonably cold here and a perfect day for slow roasting - and the ribs I have in there smell heavenly! If it’s still cold tomorrow, I’ll slow roast that huge loin I have. I don’t like having the oven on in summer, so this clears the freezer of non- grillable items, although I could have grilled the ribs.

(Butter Withaspoon) #3989

Brrrrr very cold here too and the sun is setting very early.
I made a rich lamb stew with something called Lamb flaps. Are these just the poor cousin of pork belly or beef ribs? They are a great price and I like the fat so buy them often. Looks like there are pieces of rib and cartilage present.

It was fun at the butcher, he said “you’re looking good” and gestured vaguely to his own face. “I’m eating more meat” I said, and he nodded and said something about a fuller face and health. I can only assume I look less gaunt or drawn :joy: :laughing:
It made me chuckle to myself on the way home (where I walked slowly with arms and legs catching vitamin D as per the sunshine thread. Feeling better today than yesterday!

Broke a Fast today, but just 41 hrs. … Wanted to try out a new wrap idea. Wasn’t bad overall and works, and I just threw in some of the Turkey Salad we had in the fridge to try it out proper.

IMG_8860

Then made some Hard Salami stacks… Got the Wife to eat a couple.
IMG_8865

Then made Chaffles for her, and decided to ask her to make me a BLT with the other set. (I make 4 at a time in a batch. Just find it easier to mix.) But somehow my BLT became a BLTT, when she added some Sliced Turkey to it? But I didn’t complain, except when trying to put it together and cut it for eating…

IMG_8866 IMG_8871

Stopped for Dinner… Sous Vide NY Strip & 2" piece of Top Sirloin. Also ate two Sweet Italian Sausage.

IMG_8875

IMG_8879

Decided to try another attempt at a Pizza Crust… worked but still not what I want. - Ended up adding some Cream Cheese and Sour Cream to the Eggs, but still too eggy and didn’t harden as I would like.

And it actually got a bit bigger than the personal size I was originally shooting for, being just larger than the plate. But since no one else wanted any, it might actually be an OMAD for me for the day.

IMG_8911

IMG_8913 IMG_8914

(Troy) #3993

Been on this LIVER binge recently
Tried for the first time about a month ago
Go figure🤔…I’m animal based carnivore

Grass Fed , grass finished for this batch

Just a quick sear
Almost a little to cooked on this round
No worries

Butter
Redmans Sea Salt

:vampire: …🩸

I love beef liver, and chicken liver too. It feels really good to eat, like my body responds to the high nutritional value in real time. And yes, the reason most people don’t like it is that they overcook it. So happens I will have chicken liver tonight… :+1:

Working in the basement and the Wife finally seared up the NY Strips that her and my Son didn’t eat last night. So they’ve probably been in the Sous Vide for around 36 hrs. or more? But then she actually wanted a Turkey Chaffle instead, so sent the Steak down to me. Afterwards, heated up the other piece of Top Sirloin nobody ate yesterday, and gave me that too, plus two Italian Sausages, all heated up.

IMG_8915 IMG_8917

Also grabbed one of the Halo Bars out of the deep-freezer afterwards. Chocolate Cheesecake I believe.

(Troy) #3996

I could not agree more!
Yup
So true

Quick sear, like on ahi tuna

Yes
Hence the liver pâté- ish resemblance
:nauseated_face:
Gross