What Did You Keto Today? Part IV

food

(Butter Withaspoon) #3671

image image
First lamb steak all pretty with things picked from my garden, second steak is exactly the same but a little messier. What a delicious midday breakfast. I cooked another 3 large lamb steaks to take away with me…
Can you tell I’m about to go away for 2 nights with a bunch of vegetarians? Lol

(Jody) #3672

Hello all … yep, still here! Here is a non-raw meal.

22oz Chuck Eye
8oz crawfish/pork sausage
2.5oz cheese (not pictured)
1 scoop carb free protein powder (not pictured)

(Robin) #3673

Thanks!

(Karen) #3674

I have been enjoying Sunbasket because:
*I live 25 miles from the nearest grocery store

*There’s a great deal of variety

*There is virtually no food waste because they only give you what you were going to use

*You have A dozen and a half meals to choose from each week. There are also pre-prepped meals but they tend to be Carby. You select your food preferences. I use pescatarian. Of the dozen and a half meals some have higher carbs, some are vegetarian but you can add meat for an additional cost.

• all the vegetables are organic

*you can have organic meats at an additional cost

*I use the bags as fire starters, I donate the small containers, the local food bank uses the insulated boxes and ice bricks. There are some plastic bags but no more packaging than you would get at a store. The peels and ends of vegetables I leave for the turkeys and the deer.

*These meals are pretty easy to make low-carb or Paleo. Much much harder to be keto. I lean a bit lower carb.

*I always get two meals out of my half. My husband only gets one meal out of it.

• you can definitely make a meal much more cheaply, although with the organic vegetables I don’t know how much more cheaply. If I don’t use organic I’m pretty sure I could make A very good meal for the two of us for about $12. Keeping in mind eating a variety of vegetables and meats is more expensive than eating grains, rice and potatoes. The cost for a meal for two is closer to $24 once you include delivery. My grocery bills have actually dropped using Sunbasket because I don’t have any waste and I’m not driving to get them. But that’s just my experience.

• I have re-cooked some of their recipes just purchasing my own ingredients. You could certainly do that. I also use the application Mealime for creating meals. It’s free and they build a grocery list for you.

(Mg ) #3675

3 carb cinnamon rolls I made. With orange glaze

It sounds interesting, and I live far from the next supermarket myself. But, I eat only meat, fish, dairy and low carb veg. I try to stay below 20 carbs a day. Is that possible with sunbasket? I can get vegetables delivered fresh from the farmer’s market to a meeting spot a half hour drive away. They are great but expensive.

(Laurie) #3677

Karen, I admire the way you’ve thought this through. Sometimes I buy high-quality prepped foods. I figure out the extra costs involved in cooking it myself, including all the gadgets and incidental ingredients I’d have to buy. Plus, my time is worth something. Even though I’m poor, a prepped meal costing a couple of dollars more than from scratch is worth it to me.

Having worked as a cook, I know that cooking for 100 isn’t that much harder than cooking for one. So of course mass-produced food can be almost as cheap as home cooked. And often just as nutritious, in my opinion.

Lunch… Chopped Steak and Onions, with Fried Eggs and Bacon. Also had 2 Squares Ghirardelli Dark Intense Chocolate and some Sun Flower Seeds, and Almond Milk and Cream Soda Zevia.

IMG_7307

(Karen) #3679

I am not sure how well this would work for you. You can’t do strictly Keto. For example many of the recipes include onions which can be a bit Carby, or tomatoes, or…. I think it works very well Paleo. If the meal requires rice, I may have to use cabbage, cauliflower, or skip it for example. The price break is at four or more meals a week.

I use some onion and tomato - but sparingly. I think I’d have a lot of waste with this. Thank you for explaining. :slight_smile:

(Jane) #3681

Tilapia with a mayo topping. Cauli-egg salad

Dinner… A Chicken/Bacon/Italian Sausage/Broccoli with Alfredo Cheese Sauce. Just a sort-a Dump-Mix thrown together. Along with some Greek Yogurt with Strawberries, and some Sunflower Seeds.

IMG_7327

Tried something new today… 22 hr. Sous Vide Turkey Gizzards, with Gravy. Also had 2 Squares of the Ghirardelli Dark Intense Chocolate and 7 Sausage Links. Also ate some Sunflower Seeds.

IMG_7328

IMG_7329

(Allie) #3684

Made what has become my regular Saturday morning mug cake breakfast today, then threw it away as I didn’t want it. Bizarre.

Dinner… Made a snack plate, while the Jalopena Poppers were still cooking. Had Smoked Vienna’s, Cheese and Pepperoni. Then had 4 Bacon Wrapped Jalopena Poppers, two Bacon Wrapped Cheese Balls and some of the Chicken/Bacon/Italian Sausage/Broccoli with Alfredo Cheese Sauce from last night. Also ate half of the pint of Triple Chocolate Rebel I had in the freezer. Smokehouse Almonds.

IMG_7330

IMG_7332

IMG_7333

(Mg ) #3686

Hey you got the recipe for that lobster bisque? Oh my GAWD!
That looks so flipping incredible!
Can you please link it or tell me how you made it?
Thanks

(Mg ) #3687

Made this last night. It was amazing and filling.
Keto chilli. Attempting to get rid of salt for a second. Adding more cracked pepper. (Which I love love love

)
Least until I stop retaining. I’m noticing it. Then I’ll revisit my beautiful Himalayan salt.

(Mg ) #3688

Oh my Gawd that chwaffle looks incredible! Mine always overflows in the waffle iron. I can’t understand why I can’t get mine to just rise up nicely and evenly to look like a regular piece of bread? Maybe my iron is too small?

I’ve put too much a couple times a while back & had that happen too, but for a while now they’ve been coming out just right. I use a 4-Square type and the mixes I use seem to be fitting well. But I do like to add different things to change it up and see how they come out. If I keep it to just barely covering/filling the areas, they don’t seem to overflow. But I do find it easier to make a big batch, opposed to singles.

(Bacon for the Win) #3690

had a steak craving yesterday and the family indulged me with these cowboy ribeyes. I think I need to be full on carni.