What Did You Keto Today? Part IV

food

(Candy Lind) #2822

Leftovers today and tomorrow in prep for rolling on Monday - one chaffle with leftover birthday prime rib with guacamole, mustard, and pickles; & one with rib meat, bbq sauce and pickles. Both will be secured with romaine leaves after photo op. Also collards with bacon & Rotel ™️ tomatoes (diced tomatoes & green chiles for those unfamiliar), mixed with some green beans and a bit of chili con queso.

PS Thanks for the birthday wishes! I’m fully qualified to draw Social Security. What a claim to fame. :woman_facepalming:

(Tracy) #2823

Are those hot mamas on your snack plate? I need to pickle me some hotdogs and boiled eggs.

(Tracy) #2824

I think I’ve nailed sandwich bread. Lots of experimenting happened and this is so far the best I’ve come up with. One shocking ingredient is eggbeaters. It gives it a drier, lighter texture than eggs, which makes it more dense. Blend 8 oz cream cheese and equivalent to 8 eggs of cartoned eggbeaters. I use a 1/2 sheet pan. If you only have a 1/4 sheet pan, use 4 eggbeaters and 4 oz cream cheese. Make sure it doesn’t bow in the middle so you don’t get a thick middle and thin corners. Sprinkle shredded parm for structure, and if you have everything bagel seasoning it adds more flavor. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. This is just like the pizza crust recipe I posted. I will post more pics of the sandwiches I make. We used it for hamburgers last night and it was awesome.

Smoked Pork Butt and Squash

(Jane) #2826

Steak, cauli-mash and squash/tomatoes from my summer garden I put up in the freezer

Yeah, Hannah’s Pickled Sausage. They’re pretty good, and I’ve always liked Pickled Sausage.

Dinner… Couple Swiss Burgers with Creamy Mushrooms. A side plate of Fried Chicken Gizzards. (Only a 1/3 of the pack, gave the rest to the Girls.) And then had a pint of the Rebel Triple Chocolate.

IMG_5977

IMG_5978

IMG_5979

(Karen) #2828

Dinner Mickey mouse Style. See the ears? OK you have to turn your head sideways. I’m eating on my lap
Cauliflower with poor man’s hollandaise.
Broccoli kale salad, and spicy shrimp with peppersimage

(Laurie) #2829

Mickey would be proud.

(Betsy) #2831

kyarn, how long did you cook your roast? My roasts have been coming out tough. I’m not good at cooking meat.

(Jane) #2832

(Candy Lind) #2833

I tend to be impatient when I cook them in a moderate oven. Since I started doing “low and slow,” 200-225 degrees F, they never fail. Just keep cooking until the smell drives you nuts and you can easily stick a fork in it and twist. You’ll have tenderness from the fat rendering into the meat, and plenty of drippings to make gravy or sauce. A large cut might take 6-8 hours. Ribs take 4-5. A normal size chuck roast about the same.

(Candy Lind) #2834

No picture, but you can guess what I’m eating since I’m baking 6 pounds of bacon and 4 pounds of patty sausage for the road. :wink:

(Tracy) #2835

I put it in a crockpot for 8 hours on low. To make the gravy I do things a bit differently. About an hour before I’m going to eat, I ladle out as much of the juice as I can get into a glass measuring cup and pop it in the freezer. This will allow the fat to solidify and you can skim it off - sorry people, I’m not afraid of fat but it’s too much and makes things too greasy. Then I pour the juice into a pot with a beef bouillon cube and sprinkle 1/2 tsp of Xanthan gum while I wisk. Add that back to your roast and it’s a delicious gravy.

(Betsy) #2836

Thank you, Candy. Yes, I was definitely undercooking the roasts because I was trying to follow directions in most of the online recipes. I have a chuck roast to cook today, can’t wait!

(Betsy) #2837

Thank you, kyarn. The gravy looks delicious! Do you sear the roast before you put it in the crock pot? My crock pot has very poor temp control, my oven is less energy efficient, but I’ll do it low and slow like that today. I may get a new crock pot, waiting for black Friday sales.

@betsy2 we figured out, through trial and error, to put the roast in the crockpot frozen (no extra water or anything, just whatever seasonings you want), overnight on low. We usually leave it in the crockpot on warm until we’re ready to eat the next day.

@kyarn, have you tried the beef bullion paste? Better Than Bouillon is the brand we’ve used. It already has xanthan gum plus it doesn’t have any MSG. That always gives my wife headaches.

I think it’s got a richer flavor than the cubes, plus you can take a spoonful, dissolve it in hot water, add some HWC, and have an instant brothy, hot drink for those cold nights. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not as good for you as actual broth, but still very tasty. You can use the chicken flavor this way too.

(Tracy) #2839

I have used it and think it’s much better than the cubes. I keep cubes in the cabinet because I could never use a jar of the paste before it goes bad. However, with this new info about the ingredients I think I’m going to make the switch. It never dawned on me to have some broth as a snack.

(Tracy) #2840

I don’t sear it. Alton Brown says it does nothing to lock in juices and I believe him.

Lunch… Hamburger, Fired Eggs, ‘Fired’ Onions and Sausage links.

IMG_5982 IMG_5981

IMG_5980 IMG_5984

I will have to try those fired onions! :slight_smile:

No pic, I have gobbled down a huge chunk of tri tip, I roasted a whole tri tip roast in the oven at 175 degrees and the results were superb - flavorful, tender, it’s all I ate. Pure carnivore dinner.