What Did You Keto Today? Part IV

food

(Tracy) #2722

FAIL: Pig-in-a-Blanket muffin. I used spongecake without sweetener, stuck a hot down in it and baked it. The feral cats enjoyed these. I can’t be accused of not having a creative imagination.

Made the Wife and Son Chicken Fritters, so I ate one, plus added some crispy Eggs and Pulled Pork.

IMG_5938

(Butter Withaspoon) #2724

I had to scroll fast past some dessert pics and paragraphs there! Too early in the day for me to have such thoughts. Here is what’s become my standard 2 Duck Eggs plus garden things breakfast. The flowers tasted gross but it was a sacrifice to the photo (next time I’ll chuck them in the compost)
The challenge now is to digest enough before the group training session in just over an hour. Oops!

Dinner… Wife made a sort of jambalaya, using Chicken, Italian Sausage, Shrimp, etc. Was pretty good indeed. I also had some Broccoli with Cheese.

IMG_5941

IMG_5943

(Karen) #2726

Why don’t you want to use the psyllium husk powder? The wrap looked really good

(Tracy) #2727

The powder clumps easily when I use it. The whole husk works great for me and evenly distributes through the tortilla.

(Tracy) #2728

I tried the velveting technique with chicken stir fry and I have to say I was blown away. I marinated it for about 2 hours in 1 egg white, 1 T rice vinegar, 1 T cornstarch. I rinsed the marinade off and poached the chicken for about 2 minutes, removed it then used it as normal with my low carb stir fry sauce and veggies. The chicken was extremely tender, just like a Chinese restaurant would serve. I thickened with about 1/4 t Xanthan gum. I can’t wait to try this again. I will do the baking soda only method next time to see if I can avoid cornstarch all together even though it was rinsed off.

(Tracy) #2729

I really want to try duck or turkey eggs. I just started eating chicken eggs that didn’t come from a store. I buy them from a friend who has chickens. I didn’t think the taste would be different but I won’t go back to cheap, white eggs again.

(Jane) #2730

(Bacon for the Win) #2731

sous vide pork chop. 140F for an hour, pan seared with salt and pepper. Best pork chops I’ve ever had. Full disclosure, husband made this while I was at work. Thank you dear!

(Tracy) #2732

I have issues with pork chops being dry. I think I’m going to try to sous vide them next time.

(Candy Lind) #2733

I am interested in this for other dishes besides stir-fry! Can you expound on the baking soda only method? Where did you find it?

What recipe do you use? I don’t recall seeing one with just egg and psyllium.

What’s the brand on these? I want to look for them.

Pretty salad! I wish I could acquire at least a tolerance for red onion. I can’t even smell them. :nauseated_face:

We are home for about a week and a half. The first thing I cooked was two racks of babyback ribs, low and slow. YUM. We’ll get 4 meals out of those. Next was a triple recipe of chaffles. Not nearly enough, I will probably cook that many twice more so we have some to take on the road.

I wish I had taken a picture of the huge bacon cheeseburger I made with the chaffles - 1/2 pound medium rare burger, mayo/mustard, sharp cheddar, 4 slices bacon, thin sliced tomato, copious dill pickle slices, lettuce that wouldn’t stay stacked because I forgot to buy leaves, only got salad mix! I could hardly get my mouth around it! LOL Maybe I’ll do an encore performance …

(Tracy) #2734

CandyLindTX: I am going to see what happens if I use this method to make pork chops since that seems to be the meat I always dry out when I cook it. I don’t know why you couldn’t just marinate a whole pork chop, rinse, then fry and have the same result. I’m going to try to baking soda method soon. I found it by coming across a youtube video about the secrets to Chinese food. If you research “velveting” meat, you’ll find tons of info.

As far as the psyllium husk tortillas, I made this up myself, although I’m sure someone in the Keto world has posted recipes, so I can’t say I’m the inventor. I’ve just never bothered researching it because these need no improvement. I needed some egg noodles one day and I made an egg like a crepe and sliced it up into strips. I had psyllium husk on hand from a bread recipe I was trying. I wondered what would happen if I add it to the egg, and it worked by giving it lots of structure and elasticity. The ratio I use is one whole egg to 1 teaspoon whole psyllium husk.

(Laurie) #2735

@CandyLindTX Greenfield; might be Canada only. But have a look in the breakfast food section of the supermarket freezer (near hash browns, breakfast burritos, etc.). I got these at Costco.

20201019_083634

Wasn’t planning on eating anything for lunch and just do OMAD tonight with Dinner. But, though I’m feeling fine, I’ve had the damn sniffles, and at times, runny nose most the day? So decided to just eat something for flavor to be honest. … Sardines, Potted Meat, Smoked Vienna’s and Deviled Ham. Also had an ounce of Salt and Vinegar Almonds and a Cream Soda Zevia.

IMG_5946

(Tracy) #2737

Are you sure you aren’t from West Virginia? I lived on this stuff as a kid and probably Keto without knowing it. I also ate plenty of chicken gizzards and hearts. :face_vomiting: Ignorance was delicious.

Nope, but not too far, being from Maryland. But I’ve eaten these since childhood as well. But I do find it nice to keep some on hand in the desk if I decide to eat something. I also eat Gizzards & Hearts quite often myself, and actually just recently found a place that sells packages of Turkey Gizzards. :yum:

Dinner… BBQ Pulled Pork, Coleslaw, Deviled Eggs.

IMG_5947

(Tracy) #2740

I needed some mayo for tuna salad and to make pesto mayo for wraps. I can’t believe I ever bought mayo in a jar. It’s not mayo. I don’t know what it is. It’s some sort of toxic sludge.

I need to get back in the habit of posting. OMAD; Bacon wrapped hamburger, medley of roasted cauliflower, radishes, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms.