What Did You Keto Today? Part IV

food

:man_facepalming:

Thanks!

(Jane) #2703

Casserole version of the cheesy stuffed poblano recipe @NelleG posted

Not pretty but delicious. Roasted the last of my garden peppers for the season.

(Tracy) #2704

I saw a cooking show where the chef used baking soda to help brown meat. I tried it on pork chops by letting them soak in baking soda and water for about 45 minutes before broiling. I think it worked. I’m learning about ways to tenderize meat like they do in Chinese restaurants. It’s called velveting. I can’t wait to put it to action.

(Bacon for the Win) #2705

looks delish!

(Laurie) #2706

@kyarn Please let us know what you find out.

(Cathy) #2707

I read upstream about crazy keto dough and decided to try making perogies. They are filled with a mixture of diced onion, kielbasa, cream cheese and sour cream. Served with a cream sauce made with hwc. I gotta say, they were delicious.

(Tracy) #2708

Unfortunately a tablespoon of cornstarch has to be used in the marinade. However, during the cooking process, you poach the chicken for a very short time before its final cook and I think most of the cornstarch is left behind in the poaching water. I haven’t touched cornstarch in over a year. It will be an experiment to see how my blood sugar reacts. I’ll also try it without cornstarch to see if I get the same results. Stay tuned.

Broke a Fast with lunch…

IMG_5932 IMG_5933

IMG_5934

Dinner… Wife made Chili and since I didn’t want to eat much, due to a bit more carbs than I wanted, I just grabbed the Salad she made my Son the other night, which he didn’t eat. Added a couple scoops of Chili on top, with some Sour Cream and it was quite good indeed. Also 2 squares Ghirardelli Chocolate.

IMG_5935

(Tracy) #2711

I eat baker’s chocolate. It’s completely unsweetened and I’m so used to it I think sweet chocolate would gag me.

Yeah, I only get the 92%, so it’s not very sweet at all. Nearly 100%, but I find it has enough to knock the bitter taste down enough, but yep, even 80% would probably taste too sweet after the 92%.

(Troy) #2713

Nice!

Can you please make the cinnamon brown sugar ones?
My favorite!
Eat a box in the SAD days ( cold )
For breakfast and a night cap munchie binge :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe use brown swerve or something

Then I can look/eat vicariously through your pics😩

(Tracy) #2714

The brown sugar cinnamon ones were actually my first idea but wasn’t sure how to bulk it up so it wouldn’t just run out. I used blueberries and chia seeds to keep it jam-like and it worked. Yesterday I was thinking about toaster strudel and how I would literally eat an entire box in one day. I’m glad I’m not alone in remembering those unhealthy days and how addicted I was. We can still have treats, just with different ingredients and in a healthy way.

(Neil) #2715

If you know me, you know by now that all good meals begin with a cheese board:

Cilbir is quickly becoming one of my favourite breakfasts. This time I was able to make it with the intended pepper, Aleppo pepper, which just arrived from Penzeys earlier this week. The Aleppo pepper definitely kicked it up a notch compared to just using paprika and cayenne.

My previous post included a decadent dark chocolate bar filled with pistachio cream. This time I tried the milk chocolate hazelnut bar, which was almost as good:

Caprese with fresh basil from my mother-in-law’s garden, and the best balsamic vinegar ever from Blazing Bella:

Korean “fire chicken” for the main meal of the day, topped with melted fontina cheese:

(Doug) #2716

Neil - as much art as food. :sunglasses: Truly beautiful.

I’ve learned enough around here, that any dish with an Asian country in the name, I probably want to avoid. But when it actually has the word “fire” in it, I don’t even have to second guess. :astonished:

I’ll bet the cheese was melting before you even got it on there. :fire:

(Laurie) #2718

@kyarn , for the cinnamon sugar poptarts, how about a cheesecake-type filling? The cream cheese would provide the bulk, and the egg would firm up the cheese. You wouldn’t need much, just enough so it qualifies as a “filling.”

(Robin) #2719

STOP! Tell me about those “buns” immediately!

(Tracy) #2720

I actually did some cheesecake ones. I called them hand pies because didn’t think to do pop tarts. I think they would have worked better in pop tart form because there was a very large air gap when you bit into these.

(Robin) #2721

What’s KB? I’m acronym challenged.