What did you Keto today? Part Deux!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #2616

Yup. I’ll keep my eyes open, and learn some new vocabulary.

(Jane) #2617

Thanks! I resurrected it from my mead-brewing days.

One year in Houston I harvested 50 lbs of honey from my hives! I was a mead-making fool for the next 2 years. :smiley:

(Troy) #2618

Wow!
Had some great mead sours b4
So good
What amount of mead did you get w the 50 lbs of honey? At least 10-15 gallons?
Been such a long time, others I knew made plenty

(Jane) #2619

I didn’t count but it was a LOT of wine bottles!!

I had such fun making all sorts of mead. Ventured out into tomato mead and jalapeño mead in addition to the normal fruit meads.

(Allie) #2620

Very hard work. And it took a chunk out of my thumb even though it was dead.

I’ve posted something like this before - but Chipotle is a good “on the go” keto option for me when I’m surrounded by places that serve up carbfests, and figured I’d share again. I found myself at the mall with my daughter around noon for some last minute :christmas_tree::santa::gift: shopping and we were both hungry.

I ordered a burrito bowl, no rice, no beans, carnitas (wait till they’ve served up a portion then ask them to double it, that way you get a lot of meat, haha), guac, cheese, sour cream, a bit of E.coli romaine lettuce. Yummy. Fork positioned for maximum @juice.

Spaghetti was hers, of course. She ate so much of my carnitas…

Chipotle Just Launched New Keto, Paleo, And Whole30 Bowls—But What’s The Nutrition Like?
(Allie) #2622

Belly pork for breakfast, with my homemade turmeric mayo of course :joy:

Chicken & Pork Larb with Stir Fried Capsicum & Sweet Chilli Sauce

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #2624

Getting about as chrismassy as a grinch like me can get :joy::joy:
Roasted almond matchsticks with low carb chocolate, spiced with cinnamon, vanilla, clove and cardamom…

(Diane) #2625

So pretty! Recipe?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #2626

Just winged it, really…

100g of lc milk chocolate,
100g of lc dark chocolate,
100g of cacao butter. Chopped mixed and molten in a zip lock in a water bath. (easy mixing and cleanup)
300g of almond macksticks Roasted for 8 to 10 minutes in a 180°c oven. Cooled down.

Ad
1/4 tsp ground vanilla beans,
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
Pinch of cardamom.

Mix in a bowl and wait until the chocolate is cooled down enough to coat the almonds evenly but is still liquid. Depending on room temp you’d have to work quickly.

Make lidle mounds with two teaspoons on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Let cool
Enjoy

(Candy Lind) #2627

Sub sucralose drops for the erythritol and you have my “daily grind!” :heart_eyes:

(Candy Lind) #2628

HOLY :poop:!!! Is that another slab of that mis-marked Wagyu? :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

My thought exactly! Of course, I could use that prep method and toss the removed skin in a pan of bacon fat to fry up …

You’re never going to want Store-bought again.

At least you tried. We’ve made very UNHEALTHY toffee to pass out at the office. It’s now a tradition, and if I didn’t do it I think I’d get fired. :confused:

TBH we did try a batch with keto friendly ingredients, but something happened and the whole batch was ruined. When you’re cooking toffee, you have to cook it until it ALMOST burns, and in that moment you take it off the fire and pour it on a pan to cool.

The batch with only butter (no margarine) and erythritol (no sugar) did something weird chemically and smoked up the whole kitchen; literally setting off the fire alarm. :smile:

(Diane) #2631

I wonder if allulose would work better in your toffee, it works (uniquely) better in caramels. It’s just so darn expensive, even compared to other sugar substitutes.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #2632

I did this the other day making caramel with erythritol…one minute it was fine, turned my back to wipe down the countertops, come back to it and it was ruined! :joy:

Sometimes, the more expensive cut, is not chewey.
However that meat you cooked, looks like a really good cut . Sometimes I cannot afford to buy a good cut of meat depending on my budget that week.
In that case…When I buy a little less expensive cut, I usually will cook it in a slow cooker for 12-14 hours with some sauce and spices( recently I did a 24 oz. cut, and threw in a large can of sugar free enchilada sauce, was yum)… then it’s tender but even then it can be dry tasting.
My best experience with a good steak is a rib eye . They’re kind of fool proof.
A more fatty cut will make the meat more tender.
Sear it on the outside let it be red on the inside if you like that.
Maybe 5 to 7 minutes on each side depending on how hot your Pan is. I like to sear it in butter.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #2634

Thanks! Yeah, I think it was shoulder. It’s mostly what I can find here without spending an arm and a leg. (Still 3x the cost of pork at least.) Very lean… I cooked it in butter on cast iron. But I think Chinese beef is really meant to be sliced thin and cooked long, like in a soup or veggie dish.

As a kid I hated steak. But I also hated avacado and sauerkraut. Those I now love so much so thought steak was worth a revisit.

My “steak” I did like as a kid was Swiss Steak. Cooked all day in the slow cooker to fall apart melt in your mouth soft. I’m thinking the sauce probably wasn’t keto.

Also, it wasn’t terrible. It was fine. Maybe just need more practice.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2635

This looks very nice.

Yeah, One thing nice about keto is we can make yummy sauces. Check out the can of enchilada sauce on the label and it’s really low in sugar or carbs and when you spread it out with a few meals it’s almost nothing. It was really good!
Have a fun holiday I’m off to work.
:smile_cat: