What did you Keto today?

(G. Andrew Duthie) #162

Just make sure that you know and trust your source for it if you eat it rare or raw. After recently going through food poisoning that I’m almost certain was from an undercooked steak at a restaurant, I will be much more reluctant to order less than medium when dining out.

(paddy0761) #163

Pigged-out today. Breakfast at 1:30pm was bacon, eggs, fermented veg, avocado and mushrooms in butter and coconut oil. Dinner was at 6:30 pm and was Fathead pizza; tomato puree, bacon, ham (that’s not bacon right?), salami, avocado, mushroom, capsicum, onion, sour cream, cheese, cheese, did I mention cheese?
I may have accidentally opened a bottle of red wine…that’s a vegetable, right?

(I like to post memes!) #164

@devhammer stevia-sweetened, still tastes like acv (which I don’t mind) with a nice hint of ginger.

(Jacquie) #165

Totally agree with you! I’ve become more careful over the years as I think we’ve become more vulnerable. Luckily, we have local farmers we can trust…until we can’t. :wink: So far, so good.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #166

Well, if I get sick from something my farmer sold me, at least I know which throat to choke. :smiley:

(I like to post memes!) #167

Lunch at Babalu last week. I always start my request with I have a complicated order - a la Bon Qui Qui. The waiter at Babalu was happy to accommodate. Broccolini topped with goat cheese and carnitas pork. Not pictured, but I asked for butter (NOT margarine) and to my delight he brought me a large slab to add to my meal.

They have great guacamole as well. They add bacon to it!

Viewing replies in forum
Posting links

I don’t quite understand why it’s happening but it’s freaky. It seems many zero carbers will sometimes eat raw beef but I am not willing to go that far!

(Jacquie) #169

I’m not a ZC’er but I’ve done it since I was a teen. There was a neighbourhood butcher and everything looked so good and fresh. lol

(G. Andrew Duthie) #170

I’m with you there. I do like steaks on the rare side (usually medium rare), but raw isn’t something I’ve had any desire for.

agreed. I’d be more hesitant with restaurant food but I rarely eat out. I also get some of my beef from a friend with a small cattle farm. I would like to buy my beef directly from a farmer as there are many small farms in w michigan but it is expensive to buy a side…but that’s a goal.

Ever tried beef carpaccio?

no. what is it?

Very popular Northern Italian dish. Raw beef sliced very very thinly. Slices layer out like a fan or flower on a dish, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. Sometimes topped with a sprinkling of capers deep fried in lard until they are crunchy yummy gems…or other times topped with some arugula lettuce with a sprinkling of shaved parmigiano Romano cheese.

It’s incredibly delicious…even to the non raw meat enthusiasts.

I’ve also had other versions of carpaccio, like raw game meat, raw salmon, raw tuna, etc.

(Guardian of the bacon) #175

Friday night pizza party.
Carlshead crust going in the oven.

Brushed with olive oil, ready for toppings.

Going in the oven topped with: pepperoni, shredded chicken, mushrooms, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese.

That sounds amazing. I wonder how many restaurants in the US serve it with so many concerns about liability. I will certainly keep an eye out for it.

(Jacquie) #177

Yummers!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #178

Instant Pot grass-fed top round roast…my first Instant Pot meal:

(sorry…was IFing today, so I couldn’t take the time to take a picture before I started eating!)

Used the beef roast recipe from the included IP cookbook, without the potatoes and carrots. I did a kosher salt & pepper rub on the roast about an hour before cooking, and rinsed it off and patted dry, then seared on the Saute setting.

Removed the roast, and de-glazed the pan with home-made chicken broth. Put the roast back in, added some garlic powder and onion powder, and some fresh ground pepper, then pressure cooked for 50 min.

Removed the roast and tented with foil, and in while the meat was resting, started reducing the drippings with 4tbsp of butter, a splash of HWC and a couple dollops of sour cream. The recipe called for straining the drippings, but I said, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? and just dropped the immersion blender in and blended in all those good bits. Made a wonderful gravy.

Things I’d do differently:

1. Given the salt rub, I didn’t need to add any more salt. I used salted butter for the gravy, and also added some salt while cooking it down. Both made it saltier than it needed to be.
  2. The roast came out pretty much well done, but still pretty tender, so next time I’d drop the cooking time a bit

Very happy with the Instant Pot for this. Searing was (relatively) mess-free, and it’s really convenient to be able to do all the cooking in a single pot.

split this topic #179

A post was split to a new topic: Cookie dough fat bombs

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #180

:open_mouth:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #181

I had the same reaction. But at least it’s not coconut flour…8 cups of that and you’d be so dehydrated you’d turn to dust.